Author Topic: Lowered Bullet  (Read 3549 times)

Theeric

• Scooter
on: April 15, 2008, 04:17:57 am
I'm considering 255mm Hagon shocks for my 08' Bullet. I realize this is going to substantially stiffin the ride if they fit.  It should lower the rear 1.4 inches. I'm wondering if anyone has tried this? Was there any problems with wheel travel - "Bottoming out" ?
Nemo me impune lacesset

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:42:49 am
I would not expect the  Hagons to be stiff, in fact I'd expect the opposite. Your stock rear springs are probably pretty harsh, and just changing them to the softer versions lowers the ride height due to their compliance.  You end up with 2 good things, a lower ride height and comfortable suspension. I've noticed that any lower, and you would have to raise you pegs to maintain stock lean angles.

2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Theeric

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 12:59:40 am
Thats what I thought too initially. Then I talked to Dave Quinn (only US distributer for Hagon). He directed me to the Hagon website for the stats.  It looks like the 255 dampening is rated as "firm" and the spring rate requires roughly 33% more weight for equal compression distance.  Sounds like its going to be pretty harsh.

I don't suppose you could direct me to your source for modifying the upper attachment point? It looks great!
Nemo me impune lacesset

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008, 01:54:07 am
I don't know how much you weigh but I could not imagine having the rear any stiffer than stock. At 33% stiffer you might as well run rigid struts. As far as that shock mount mod you mentioned, its simply plates through bolted to the original  welded on stampings. It was done by the owner and is not a kit. The downside of it is that you have to saw off the original mounting tab so its not in the way of the now higher shock body, so its a pretty permanant mod. Another way is to lengthen the swingarm an inch right at the kink in the axle plate. This lays the shock down some as well as lowering, also pretty permanant.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.