Author Topic: carb problems?  (Read 2825 times)

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
on: April 12, 2008, 07:55:58 am
Okay. I told my dealer, The Great and Powerful Vince, That I would not bother him unless truly baffled. I am getting there. My bike has been gradually running worse and worse and am not sure why. I am pretty sure it is the carb but it is also likely that I am overlooking something basic. I will go over what I do know.
       First, The battery is drained and needs to be charged. Although I can kickstart it and ride around the E-start doesn't really have any " juice" to it. A sluggish once or twice and that is it. Luckily I don't really use this often but since the bike dies alot now I have had occasion. There does not appear to be any smoking other than a tiny bit at start, which is no different than when it was really new. However the smoke is dark, suggesting unburnt fuel? This is where it gets confusing for me.
      I have searched the forum and it sounds like the most likely culprit is a lean condition caused by a leak in the intake but I have inspected this very thoroughly and can not find a fault.
     I have noticed that my gas line is looser than I would like. Perhaps there is a vacuum leak here. The plug shows that the bike is running rich but it also will only run with the choke left on(?)
      Here is what I am experiencing. I can start the bike no problem, choke on. The bike starts to run rough and I switch off the choke. Engine races for a bit, settles down,       dies. If I keep it revved up I can ride it but invariably I will be going a steady 40-45mph and it will sputter and die, usually on a bridge......
      What am I doing wrong?

donkey

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 10:37:31 am
I had some carb problems, erratic idle and hard to find correct mixture. All these things dissapeared removing the PAV conection to the carb spacer to cilinder head. But I thing this Micarb is not so fine. Now I'm stalling the flat-slide carb w/ classic exhaust system and complety remove the PAV. This carb have so much precission. By the way, I will post some things about the jets.
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Café Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
-------------------------------
Café Racer CB400SS
Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES
-------------------------------

C.C.

• Scooter
  • 1960 Bullet
Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 11:01:50 am
Okay what year is the bike and how many miles are on it. The battery or charging system needs to be addressed. You may have a stacking of problems. If the battery is bad change it. The carb problem sounds like the pilot jet is plugged. Clean and if needed rebuild the carb. The pilot jet orifice is very small and fuel will gum up in there causing the problems you are seeing. I would change the spark plug as well after fixing these things.

CC
2006 Bullet Sixty 5
Member: Royal Enfield Association #11

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 01:20:53 pm
A duff battery will make the bike exhibit some of the symptoms you are seeing.  Put in a new battery and I'll bet your problems go away.  With that said I can't tell you the reason for this phenomiom.  If you need a tech explaination maybe the guys a CMW can help you out.

First, The battery is drained and needs to be charged. Although I can kickstart it and ride around the E-start doesn't really have any " juice" to it. A sluggish once or twice and that is it. Luckily I don't really use this often but since the bike dies alot now I have had occasion.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 03:57:37 pm
     Jon, it really is no bother to take care of my customers. I wish you would have called sooner. The ignition system runs off the battery (battery and coil ignition). The charging system charges the battery. If you have a weak battery you get a weak spark. If the battery won't take and hold a charge, change it NOW. You may have some thing in your carb.  I clean a LOT of carbs this time of year. Infrequent winter use combines with condensation caused by spring temperature swings to plug jets with dried gas, water and dirt. You may also have a tight valve. This would explain some of your symptoms. You may need other work such as ignition adjustment. Your bike is talking to you. It is telling you it needs some hands on love and affection. At this point the problems are relatively minor. It's like dealing with your wife. If you don't listen now,  some other guy will take care of her later at great expense to you.
     Most of the serious problem I see start out just this way. Minor problems keep cropping up. No one talks to me. I get sooooooo lonely. Then I have to deal with a crisis. Why am I in business if my customers bother me?The answer is: they don't.
     Jon please call me for an appointment or just bring it in. I really really really am happy to take care of my customers. 

geoffbaker

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008, 12:56:56 am
Vince you sound lonely.

I'll stop in on my trip up to Seattle this summer. I'm sure to have something broken by then :D