Author Topic: Seattle got Sunny!  (Read 5553 times)

prof_stack

on: April 13, 2008, 12:45:24 am
Finally.  Temperatures over 60 degrees, perhaps into the 70's.

Got the Buell out for 50 miles of great riding.  No hurries, no worries.  Would have been even better on a Bullet.  Getting closer to making the plunge.   

Had to stop for Gatorade 'cuz I'm not used to the "heat" as we call it here in Seattle.  On the way back I swung into the Boeing Museum of History and Flight and snapped some photos.

Almost home I stole two more pix of Jon's great looking Deluxe, now with solo seat and folding mirrors, among other stuff.  Hey, we should have gone riding together!

[old attachment deleted by admin]

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 12:53:39 am
    I had to work today until 5:00!!! This is the first really nice day we've had in a long time.
    Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 12:59:38 am
    When you are ready to take the plunge, I have a swimming pool. Just got in a new Classic with AVL in green, and a red Deluxe with AVL. Thought you would want to know.

prof_stack

Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 05:53:52 am
    When you are ready to take the plunge, I have a swimming pool. Just got in a new Classic with AVL in green, and a red Deluxe with AVL. Thought you would want to know.
Vince, you are a spider waiting for the willing fly!   :D

The warm weather sure brought out the riders today.  Lots of Hogs, complete with the seemingly required uniform.  But what I can't understand are the ape hangers and forward foot controls.  That has to be murder on the lower back and shoulders.

Also out were the nutbags wearing shorts and flipflops with a t-shirt, along with a full-face helmet.  Huh?  They must think that skin grafts are quick and easy...

Finally, an in-line four bike ahead of me suddenly reared up and wheelied about a 1/4 mile at around 60MPH.  The rider had very good balance and very poor judgement.  The cops just NAIL stunt riders.

But OMG what a wonderful day to be out and about.  Best day of 2008 here in Seattle, so far (I hope).  Rain is forecast for Monday and the week.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 07:34:18 am
    Though I worked until 5:00 today, my wife and I did get to take a ride.I hadn't ridden "One Kick", my 2007 500 Classic for two weeks (I know-I'm neglecting it).My wife rides a 2005 Honda Metro scooter, so we keep to the slower roads. Well,after sitting for two weeks "One Kick" did it again.Fuel petcock on,key on,compression release open,slowly kick over to verify TDC,choke on,little bit of throttle (without a bit of throttle,my bike isn't "One Kick),one kick, and putt,putt,putt.....Choke off after a few seconds,and she'll sit there and idle away while I get my gear on. We rode a back way to a restaurant called Chevy's on 38th in Tacoma for a great Mexican dinner. Then,again,slower streets to Ruston and a stop at Starbucks. We bought out lattes and walked over to a little park overlooking the waterfront in Ruston. Lots of bikers out. Left Ruston and rode through downtown Tacoma, past Destination HD/Buell, where I work, and home to Puyallup. One Kick ran great.Topped her off to the tune of 71.6 mpg. Now I get two days off.These I need, as I have the cold from hell, but I'm too stubborn to call in sick.But the ride made me feel better.Oh yeah, I'm at about 450 miles now.

Jon in Puyallup
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 08:35:18 pm
Yeah, it was nice, although I dressed too warm!  I recently noticed sidewall cracking on my stock Avon Speedmasters (unfortunate since I bought the bike in late '06) and thought since I'd been thinking about a different type of tire anyways, it was time to make the move.  I had a nearby shop mount some Avon AM26 Roadriders (the tire Vince suggests) and all I can say is wow!  I took advantage of the nice day to put some easy miles on the new tires and man what an improvement! I'm still taking it easy on the tires, so I can't really say too much about the cornering, but the bike just seems to handle so much better and straight line tracking seems SO much more stable (I especially noticed this crossing grated metal bridge decks).  I'd love to go riding some more today, but I came home with a nasty cold, so I'll just be taking it easy.

Eamon
Eamon

Juggernaut

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 05:26:20 pm
Saturday was simply awesome. Regardless of the beginning of my day.
Borrowed my aunts store's cargo van to transport the bike from McChord back home to Bremerton. Took along a buddy to help me load it. Needless to say he is a GOOD buddy as upon arrival, I found that I forgot the bike keys.
Fork locked.
We hoisted the front end and lugged it up the ramp. Lucky the van wasn't lifted or anything.

Got home and I took the bike out for some sweet town riding. I enjoyed the curious stares and the delayed waves from other riders as I rode the "2nd Base Mobile" through Silverdale. 2BM's got over 100 miles on her now and I gotta say that shes about 70% different each time I ride her. I love it.

One other thing, my hi-beam low-beam toggle is reversed.
Sharks are winners because they don't look back. Becuase they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

eae0164

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008, 07:59:26 am
Hey, Juggernaut, you live in Bremerton? My son livesin Bremerton with his Mom. I guess when I bring my 2000 Military up during the summer, I'll be getting funny looks, too. I figured with all the RE's in Washington, everyone would be used to them. I can't wait to take afew long trips while I'm up there. I think the one I'm lookingforward too the most, is the trip from Bremerton to Mt. Rainier. Maybe I'll have to look you up while I'm up there,and if you know some good places to ride, you could point me to them. :)
2000 RE Military model

Juggernaut

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 03:27:59 pm
 :DJust let me know! I think a ride thru Seabeck would be great. I'll do some research on a route.

Sharks are winners because they don't look back. Becuase they don't have necks. Necks are for sheep.

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 07:11:14 am
Prof_stack, Thanks for taking the pics of my bike! I am lazy about taking pictures and most of the shots I take are on a Brownie these days anyhow so again ,Thanks!
    When is the weather going to get nice for good? This dragging on forever. I know that it wasn't like this the last couple of years because I run about 15-25 mi. a week and remember when it is rainy in the spring.
                                                                                    Cheers!
                                                                                                  Jon

prof_stack

Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008, 03:34:37 pm
Prof_stack, Thanks for taking the pics of my bike! I am lazy about taking pictures and most of the shots I take are on a Brownie these days anyhow so again ,Thanks!
    When is the weather going to get nice for good? This dragging on forever. I know that it wasn't like this the last couple of years because I run about 15-25 mi. a week and remember when it is rainy in the Spring.  Cheers!    Jon

Well, tomorrow looks to be near 70F so we should get out for a ride!  If you are free in the early afternoon let's meet at your curb and go.  Let me know what works.