Author Topic: Flat-Slide carbs jets  (Read 2575 times)

donkey

• Scooter
on: April 12, 2008, 10:48:22 am
For the 500ES the correct jets are main 120, pilot 25 and neddle on top nocht.
The carb comes with too rich jets kit, from 132 to 140 I think with 25 and 38 pilot (I don't find the 19 the catalog says). I don't know the correct float chamber level (at work). The air filter I fit is a paper Amal type (the round chrome piece with holes, you know).
The carb has better precission than stock Micarb, You gain torque easyly (top speed not so easyly). Bolts to fit are a little short, you must look for another ones.
I'm waiting for a spacer and turbulator to refit with the idea to find the best carb job. I will let you know.
"Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Café Racers." Hunter S. Thompson
-------------------------------
Café Racer CB400SS
Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES
-------------------------------

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 06:00:11 pm
I've got the flat-slide on an Electra. U also have my needle in the leanest position and use a 125 main. It seems to run great, but like you mentioned, no gain on top speed (maybe even a slight loss). I also had the same experience in torque gain. I am now wondering if I can get a bit more fuel in the top range with a slightly larger main and maybe one notch richer on the needle if I compensate by opening the air mix screw another quarter to half turn. I almost hate to mess with it because it seems to be dialed in pretty good, but I get the feeling that the little carb has more to offer if I could just figure out how to get all the available performance out of it.

jimsE

• Scooter
  • Lovin the ride
Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 12:58:49 am
I have the flat slide carb, classic exhaust,K&N filter.  Right out of the box running & starting was great but also no gain in top speed, really straining to hit 80 mph.  Gas mileage dropped from 72 to 55 mpg.  I dropped the needle one notch and the next time out it came on much stronger at 60 and pulled hard to an indicated 86.  Not enough time yet to get a mileage check, will post that later.  By the way I'm 30 feet above sea level. 
smiling Jim
2008 Electra, smiling jim

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #3 on: April 20, 2008, 05:28:07 am
are you guys feeling an increase in torque and power on the high end like the dyno sheet had??
                               I'm really wanting one...  Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill