Author Topic: Retail?  (Read 8134 times)

newh

• Scooter
on: March 18, 2012, 01:29:36 pm
Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a new C5. Just wondering what others think about paying retail. Should I? Any Idea what the margin is for dealers, Any room for movement?

Thanks in advance
Pat

newh

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:31:23 pm
By the way, I'm in USA.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 02:50:28 pm
"Mark-up" is very little on these bikes. Most dealers make a few dollars more on set up/ PDI fees and upgrade parts & service after you buy.
Its worth the extra few dollars to buy from a reputable dealer that actually knows these bikes, and how to set them up properly, not one that sells Enfields alongside hosiery and pet food as a sideline because they look pretty.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 02:57:04 pm
You'll pay retail on a new 2012 model, but might save $$ on a new 2011 or 2010.  The 2-year warranty is nice for these India made thumpers, so you're paying a little in advance for it.  Some dealers or CMW might throw in a $100 gift card for accessories.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 05:29:03 pm
+1 to all the above.  There's not much margin on these bikes and you want a good dealer who does the setup right. Feel free to haggle but dont expect much of a break on a new bike.  This is the perfect time of year to haggle on a 2011.  Dealers like to clear stock right now.  Even with thin margins you may get a better deal on a 2011. .

Scott

VTA Jeff

• Neophyte
  • 2012 Bullet C5
Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 07:20:01 pm
If your location permits you to choose between multiple dealers, I would suggest getting quotes from as many as you can. Within the past month I have had quotes on leftover 2011 C5s ranging from $6400 - $8000 OTD. That range is significant and is worth the extra effort and/or travel in my opinion.
--- Color? Motorcycles come in colors other than black? ---

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 09:35:35 pm
Just make sure you are comparing apples to apples:  The low list price quoted by one dealer may not include freight /dealer prep etc.  When I priced one in Canada, it went (with taxes and all point of sale charges) from "list"  of  $6,599 to well over $8,500 and then delivery (or pick up by me--8 hours distant) and licesing fees  on top.    Unfortunately, this pushed it out of my reach at that time.  Damn taxes !   Nigel.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 09:45:58 pm
In Australia the bikes get off the boat in Melbourne and the "retail" price goes up the further from Melbourne your dealer is.

When haggling for a new bike remember the markup on the bikes themselves does not give much haggle room. However the markup on aftermarket parts like exhausts and gear like helmets can leave a lot of leeway and fitting only costs the dealer time..  it may be possible your dealer can give no discount on the bike but will happily add and install something like an EFI exhaust for a fraction of what buying and getting it fitted later will cost.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 10:56:43 pm
When I bought my C5 chrome it was $9450 on the road. Asked the dealer would they throw in a crash helmet. They said R.E. would not - but they would.
So i got an approved A/S helmet to the value of $170 for free.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 11:19:10 pm
 The margins on these motorbikes are thin as a whisper where I am  in the U.S.
That said the dealer I buy my spares, supplies and accessories from does make some profit from them as he charges near retail plus applicable taxes which ends up costing me less ( sometimes a lot less ) than mail order plus shipping. Its a win-win situation In my estimation.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 11:32:40 pm
newh

Your best bet is to try to find a new, unsold 2009-2011 bike from a dealer.
There are a few of them around and finding one can save you about $1000.

Be aware that the 2010 models usually do not have a kick starter.
It's not that you will need one, but they are a cool thing to have.
Harley riders who lost their kick starters years ago look with envious eyes at the kick starter on a Royal Enfield.

Speaking of unsold older models a dealer might have on hand, the AVL models do not have the new fuel injected Unit Construction Engine's redesigned features so they share many of the old Iron Barrels issues like lower maximum speeds.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 12:20:48 am
There are some dealer discounted bikes on Ebay. The shop in NH sells them cheap, as well as a shop in Western Mass and Tx.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 04:01:57 pm
$9450.00 for an RE Bullet wow I mean WOW.  bittercrick
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 10:01:03 pm
wow   that seems like a bit much....geeze for that price I be takling a good hard look at a truimph...It will be interesting to see what the new totally reenigineered machines will cost in 2 years......seems like yesterday they were 5k out the door/tax included...Alas the good old days..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 10:14:06 pm
The fancier models are getting up there in price and there are other choices in that range.  None have quite captured the mystique of the bullet but I'd like to see prices come down, it's a lot of money for an air cooled 500 single.  The B5 is a great example.  Just a little cheaper and they sell like hotcakes.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 12:48:34 am
The B5 is a great example.  Just a little cheaper and they sell like hotcakes.

Scott

Actually price was not an issue when I bought my B5 I preferred the look of it. The G5 is starting t get a Japanese look and the C5 looks a bit like a toy to me ... the B5 was perfect.

indyogb

• .22 Bulleteer
  • Scooter
Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 02:03:51 am
I'll echo everyone else - I pretty much paid what they asked.  There wasn't much negotiating.  I will admit, I'm terrible at talking people down anyway, but I mostly do my research and know what it costs before I get there.  In summary, I'd be prepared to pay retail if you really want one. 

I like the Triumphs, and the C5/G5 are getting into Triumph $$$ territory.  However, I love Royal Enfields, and I wanted one for several years before I got my B5 last fall.  The B5 is the only automotive purchase I've made that didn't come with at least a small amount (let alone total) buyer's remorse.  The B5 costs a little less, and uses the classic frame, so it has that look and can fit a ton of existing extras.  Just gotta live with (or change) the "square" rear fender.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 02:28:49 am
There's a concept called 'the narcicism of small differences' where two or more groups who have way more in common than different focus on those differences.  It usually leads to controversy and dispute.  I have to say that the differences between the current models are so small you d be hard pressed to explain them to an outsider.  That said, I love that we all know every detail of the differences AND that it seems to bring us closer together.

Indy, you're right. The B5 is not the bargain RE, it's a full member with its own special character.  Leave the square fender, it starts to grow on you after a while.

Scott

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 03:06:53 am
$9450.00 for an RE Bullet wow I mean WOW.  bittercrick

I don't think those are US dollars.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 03:15:19 am
Wow 9500 for a bullet?  I can pick up a new Thruxton for that..  I think I'd tell the dealer to get a life and walk.
Ton Up!

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 03:24:58 am
 The B5 costs a little less, and uses the classic frame, so it has that look and can fit a ton of existing extras.  Just gotta live with (or change) the "square" rear fender.
Hey, that frumpy back fender WILL grow on you and eventually be the "proper" fender for a real Bullet!   :D
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 08:00:59 am
That price is in $AU but as of now our $AU  equal to the $US. On a Triumph note to get into the base model I'd have to lay out another $6K
But I like the look of the R.E,.................so I'm here to stay ;D

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 21, 2012, 02:47:36 am
That price is in $AU but as of now our $AU  equal to the $US. On a Triumph note to get into the base model I'd have to lay out another $6K
But I like the look of the R.E,.................so I'm here to stay ;D

The dollars are equal but the Enfields come into Australia at a higher price, more freight or something, plus I suspect the Aussie ones have slightly more profit margin for the dealers.

BrashRooster

• Bulleteer
  • Yeah I stepped in it.
Reply #23 on: March 23, 2012, 01:07:58 am
I love the square fender on my B5, not at all "frumpy".  I had intended to buy a G5 Deluxe but when I seen the B5 I felt my heart go pitter patter. The same feeling I got when I first met my last wife.  She ended up with a rear end that was indeed frumpy. I think the B5 is an awesome way to get peoples attention towards Royal Enfield. The price on it just might sway some one into seriously considering it. I know they are all very attractive bikes even those expensive ones. 
Signature

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 23, 2012, 04:58:03 pm
     Speaking as a dealer, margins are pretty thin. Here in Washington a few years ago there was another dealer that sold for $800 less than I would. I lost about half my sales for the 3 years he operated. My warranties went up 4/5/6 HUNDRED percent. He had cut his margin to the point that he could not afford to work on the bike. He had a kid rip them out of the crate, pour gas in them, and handed them to the customers. It was sure a good deal for the customer. By the time you factored in the time down for all the multiple repairs including transportation to me and back, plus the cost for having me actually set up the bike, most of them spent more than if they had bought it from me. Plus they missed most of the riding season.
     Price is certainly important, but more important is a good dealer that properly services the brand. When shopping you should be cautious of a low offer. Often, when you get there other "fees" will be tacked on.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 05:27:41 pm
+1.

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 06:31:19 pm
There's a concept called 'the narcicism of small differences' where two or more groups who have way more in common than different focus on those differences.  It usually leads to controversy and dispute.  I have to say that the differences between the current models are so small you d be hard pressed to explain them to an outsider.  That said, I love that we all know every detail of the differences AND that it seems to bring us closer together.

Indy, you're right. The B5 is not the bargain RE, it's a full member with its own special character.  Leave the square fender, it starts to grow on you after a while.

Scott

+1

I like em all!
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 09:18:00 pm
The reason the B-5s were cheaper is that RE didn't have to build any frames. They were leftover 350 frames that were just spares. Unfortunately, I think we've seen the end of the B-5s. I guess they're running out of the frames. My dealer says they are becoming very hard to get.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 09:40:55 pm
Sad :(

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: March 24, 2012, 12:26:32 am
b5 leaving us - that stinks and they were 1 k cheaper....Dealer profits - can't be that much......My bike was setup properly and its paid huge dividends.....just taking them  out of a crate, throwing in gas,battery charge,  tire pressure check, verifying  the oil level is just a cursory look over anyway....I would hate to do  warranty work especially if I know the guy 50 miles away submarine the owner from the beginning and wants me to pick up the pieces...must be a new business model ::)...

Anon

• Grand Gearhead
  • Good golly Miss Molly
Reply #30 on: March 24, 2012, 01:07:10 am
Who says the B5 is going away? It was stated by Kevin Mahoney that they were bringing in less of them than the other models. Both the 350 and 500 versions appear to be full fledged models in India. They are hard to find right now because CMW only imported a limited number.  Is there any actual word from RE India or CMW that the B5's are just to use up left over frames?  Sounds like speculation to me.

Eamon
Eamon

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #31 on: March 24, 2012, 03:08:09 am
No complaints here, my friends and I got a great price; but we also bought 4 at a time.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 24, 2012, 02:42:40 pm
hillntz: just love it.. 4 in one stroke....what a day that dealer had...I assume you guys are just cruising with big smiles all around..Did u take a pic?..

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 24, 2012, 03:00:09 pm
The B5 is not some special export model.  The B5 is just the Indian domestic "Bullet 500".   (The C5 in India is the "Classic 500" and the G5 the "Electra Deluxe")

I have heard nothing about them dropping the UCE Bullet 500 from the Indian domestic market which suggests the export B5 will also be around for a while.

trimleyman

• Bulleteer
  • 1953 or 2011.
Reply #34 on: March 25, 2012, 10:09:02 pm
In California , we do not have access to any cheaper Bullets as ours have to have the emissions label on which adds $300.00 to the price.  Our alternative would be to buy a used one on the east coast with say 5000 miles on it and drive it across country to California so as to accumulate  the required 7500 miles to not require the labal , now if that ain't BS. Mind you would be a cool trip.
Now 2011 Royal Enfield G5 and just added 2014 Continental GT and latest 2015 Ducati 803 Scrambler Urban Enduro
Then:-
1978 Ducati 900 GTES
1969 Ducati 350 Desmo Racer
1972 Mototrans Ducati 250 24 Horas
1965 Triumph Tiger Cub 200
1967 BSA Bantum

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 12:49:45 am
I'm thinking of all that clean air inside the la basin....good to know you're doing your part..when i lived in la, i was driving inland from redondo beach towards the mountains thru La  and noticed that the signal lights that i could see in the distance were disappearing due to fog....My friend informed me that what I was actually seeing was smog.....it gets worst as u leave the coast...so what is  300 bucks doing for the en field and its pollution controls?...

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 08:07:22 am
...when compare to one jet engine?

How many Enfileds in California? How many aircraft movements are there in one day?

I'm all for us doing our bit. But the mega buck airline industry is able to bribe "discuss inteligently" with some key players in the political system.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:04:59 am by Lwt Big Cheese »
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 08:22:47 am
.....and that's The System  summed up.... >:(
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 06:17:40 pm
For the 300 buck you get a fuel tank with a different filler neck and a charcoal canister.  When fuel vapors expand they are directed to the canister where the charcoal absorbs them.  The next time the bike runs air is drawn through the canister and into the intake and the vapors are burned instead of escaping into the atmosphere.  It does not reduce performance at all and weighs next to nothing

That's the only difference for any Cali emission bike.  A nice thought but I wonder if it really makes any difference.  Being that the cleanest new bike's emissions are still significanlty dirtier than any new car's.  I guess it was a caveat given to the EPA.  When I lived there it was the first thing we removed on any new bike.  It either looked ugly as sin or took up half your storage space.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: March 26, 2012, 08:14:43 pm
...when compare to one jet engine?

How many Enfileds in California? How many aircraft movements are there in one day?

I'm all for us doing our bit. But the mega buck airline industry is able to bribe "discuss inteligently" with some key players in the political system.

If you really want to know where the pollution comes from, check out all the gardeners and home owners who have raw exhaust spewing out of their mowers, blowers and weed wackers.
Cars and planes ain't the problem, it's Gardeners!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, 09:06:20 pm
I believe there was an attempt recently to ban 2 stroke landscaping equipment in LA.  Of course with no viable alternative for leaf blowers it didn't get very far.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 27, 2012, 03:17:50 am
Of course with no viable alternative for leaf blowers it didn't get very far.

Scott

hmmm ... so you think nuclear powered leaf blowers are overkill then ?

http://www.internationalsteam.co.uk/trains/newsteam/modern16.htm

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 07:39:39 am
Screw the diesel conversion!  I want a nuclear bullet!

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 07:47:49 am
Bummer when that leaks though!
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, 06:29:01 pm
Bummer when that leaks though!

Bullets leak? Bah humbug....  ::)
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #45 on: March 30, 2012, 06:26:34 am
hillntz: just love it.. 4 in one stroke....what a day that dealer had...I assume you guys are just cruising with big smiles all around..Did u take a pic?..

We bought a matched set all Royal Maroon C5's for our Shrine Motor Corps precision drill team.  We don't have any group pictures yet.  We all took our bikes home to rack up the break-in mileage and haven't reassembled the group.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: March 30, 2012, 03:19:15 pm
We bought a matched set all Royal Maroon C5's for our Shrine Motor Corps precision drill team.  We don't have any group pictures yet.  We all took our bikes home to rack up the break-in mileage and haven't reassembled the group.

Beautiful bike and your hat !  Welcome to the Forum.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5