Author Topic: Battery Killer?  (Read 4456 times)

commonbear

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 11:21:02 pm
Okay, just ordered a 35/35W halogen bulb along with 5 LED light replacements.  Should have them in by next weekend (hopefully).  Then we shall see...

Thank you everyone for chiming in.   :)
ZenCrafters.  Total enlightenment... in about an hour!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 15, 2012, 03:08:28 am
would anyone who"s converted these to LED be willing to do a tutorial on it, I'd love to but have no clue about LEDS

Paul:

Welcome to the Forum:

If you click at the link below it shows replacement of filament bulbs by LEDs, there are many other videos on that youtube channel on general maintenance for RE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMCSEraYCxM
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

uRban-x

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: March 15, 2012, 04:07:13 am
First off, have your bike checked for parasitic leaks. 

That said, I had the same exact problem, kept eating batteries.  The charging systems on these bikes is just not that great and while some seem to do fine with a 55W headlight others, like mine, cannot keep up.  It's just too much draw on the system.

All is not lost.  I recommend you do what I did: get an H4 halogen bulb that is 35/35W instead of 55/60W.  It fits right into the Halogen headlight.  Since doing that and my bike has started fine every time, even in freezing temperatures after sitting for two weeks.  If the local motorcycle shop doesn't have these bulbs check with a scooter shop, they are more common on scooters.  If all else fails order one online.

Scott

I use 100/90w phillips rally H4's on my thunderbird , it has the same 18 pole magneto as the classic. But the batt. Might be diff. As mine is a 14ah batt which is not the sealed type. I guess the wiring of the halogen kit should be checked also the relay's(if any).
RE Thunderbird Twinspark 350 - 2010