Author Topic: Finally solver C5 weave  (Read 2391 times)

shappers

• Scooter
on: March 13, 2012, 08:09:44 pm
Hi y'all, I have finally got my C5 to handle in a reassuring manner.  It all comes down to the amount of trail.  I think the new forks on the C5 have more spindle offset than the old ones.  I have always thought this had the effect of reducing the trail to a critical value.  When I saw the pictures of the forks on the new cafe racer I felt vindicated and felt moved to make new top and bottom fork yokes (triple clamps) from some aluminium and steel offcuts.  I have reduced the fork offset to 10mm.  This has increased the trail to about 4 inches or a 100mm, a values found on most Hondas any many other bikes.

The handling is much more to my liking, all shimmy and going round traffic island like a threepenny bit have  gone. It rolls done nicely into bends instead of falling into too soon for me.  I did the conversion in a way that I could return it to standard, but I will not be doing that.   Along the way I fitted Hitchcocks softer progressive fork springs and flat Norton handlebars.

I haven't included any photos as the design is more functional than elegant and the headlight set up doesn't suit the bike, but all that will be taken care of in a couple of weeks.

Regards to all, Shappers.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:13:04 pm
tut tut, should  be solved in the title and rolls down in the text

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:45:28 pm
Sounds interesting, I would like to see pictures.  So the nacelle is gone?

You must be a talented machinist. 
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:16:27 pm
Weave?  My C5 can't even knit!

I'm bummed if you lost the nacelle but I'd love to see some pics.  Even if you think they're ugly we're the people who would appreciate them.

Anyone know what the trail on a stock US model C5 is?

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:24:40 pm
The new C5 Special has done that for you.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 03:24:06 am
I'll bet the new fork lowers without the offset will be available soon for reasonable prices.  That would be the easiest way to get more trail.

shappers

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 07:44:33 am
Hi y'all, original trail is 72mm (75mm for G5) about 2.8 inches.  Further inspiration came from Hitchcocks cnc machined yokes which can be seen from the link below and by scrolling down the page a fair bit.  As you scroll down you will pass the fork springs I fitted. I bought them for my 450cc bullet but never fitted them.  The C5 fork springs are much shorter than the old model springs and have quite a long spacer on top.  When I compared the two overall lengths there was nothing in it, So i popped them in to see if there would be any difference. There was it is less harsh.  There is more fork dive if your style is haul up hard, but this 140 pound rider does not ride like that and it all feels very normal.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-suspension-front

Now imagine the steering stem centreline 10mm behind the fork centreline.  As an experiment I didn't want to spend that much money.  Now that it suits me so nicely I just might ask Hitchcocks very nicely if they would make a set with the 10mm offset.

You are right the cassette has gone and the fork tube covers replaced with H's gaiters.  I have ordered what I hope is a nice nose fairing to hide the wiring connectors and hold the headlight.  That should arrive in the next couple of weeks and when I fit it I'll then take some photos.

Cheers, Shappers