Author Topic: NField Gear "Classic Exhaust System"  (Read 5132 times)

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
on: March 13, 2012, 06:52:57 pm
I know this is kind of out of the model scope, but I am interested in pursuing a retro-fit. 
I'm interested in finding out if the header pipe on the Classic Exhaust System is actually rounded like the image portrays: http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/exhaust/classic-exhaust-system-1675.html
I know I would have to weld on a bung for the O2 sensor and that isn't an issue  I just want to know if it really is as round as indicated in the photo.  I really like the look of that style pipe and I'm interested in possibly puting it on my bike.

Any info y'all might have would be helpful and appreciated!

Jason
Ton Up!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 01:13:17 pm
Bump...

Anybody have any input on this?  Not that I'm looking for yet another thing to do on my bike, but it's fun to think about!

Classic header?  Sexy...

(pic borrowed from hoohoohoblin.com)

Stock EFI header?  Meh...

(pic borrowed from our hosts!)

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 08:17:24 pm
classic header is missing the O2 sensor for the EFI...
Chris

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 09:17:09 pm
Like the OP suggested... I already have the O2 sensor - all that's missing from the classic header is the hole to plug it into.  How hard can it be to poke a hole - the right hole - in the pipe?

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 01:52:10 am
The NField Gear page states that the airflow is more free which requires rejetting the carb. If the ECU takes into account the specs of the exhaust, fitting another type might cause a new problem. It might be more trickier than poking a hole for the oxygen sensor. Just saying.  :-\

Otherwise, putting both pictures side by side should be forbidden: it hurts, badly...  :'(
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 03:02:04 am
D+D figured it out:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15069.0/all.html

But they went and used the same profile as the stock pipe...  :(

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:37:17 am
...........Classic header?  Sexy...

struth !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 24, 2013, 01:26:42 pm
Why not just put that muffler on the stock header?
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: February 24, 2013, 03:31:13 pm
I have that muffler back-ordered with NFG.  It's the header we're lusting after - some of us like a few extra curves!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 25, 2013, 03:09:21 am
Welding the bung on the pipe isn't going to change anything! Those pipes aren't that critical, especially if the engines are left stock. The length and diameter changes could affect it, but drilling a plugged hole in it isn't going to hurt!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 03:40:40 am
the O2 sensor must point down approx 15 degrees (outside higher than inside the pipe), also, it will need to be approximately the same distance from the exhaust valve to stay within its operating temperature range.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 08:41:10 pm
Exactly, it's all about the curves.

Apprently Hitchcock's has one that harkens back to an older era in appearance but has the O2 sensor bung already welded in place.  I may contact them and see if they can provide a photo of the part.
Ton Up!

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 10:12:19 pm
Exactly, it's all about the curves.

Apprently Hitchcock's has one that harkens back to an older era in appearance but has the O2 sensor bung already welded in place.  I may contact them and see if they can provide a photo of the part.

That would be nice. Please do and keep us in.
Anything to improve the Bullet. :D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 10:25:45 pm
I may be thinking about another Hitchcock pipe but I seem to recall someone here on the forum who got one of these pipes.

Rather than being the thick walled pipe that comes on the UCE's, it is a thin wall pipe with a larger inside diameter.

While common sense would say that larger diameter should increase performance, the opposite was true.
Low and mid-range power decreased and the engine still seemed to run out of power at the higher revs.

As I say, I'm going by memory so maybe whoever it was can jump in and tell me I am wrong?

Changing the pipe does change the bend and it does decrease the bikes total weight so there are justifiable reasons for changing it. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 11:12:57 pm
I believe your talking about a comment I made regarding the Hitchcocks pipe awhile back. As soon as I fired up the bike with the new pipe it sounded about 50% louder. My thought at the time was WOW, when I take it up to Wrightwood tomorrow, this baby is going to haul ass ! I took it up a long grade and was really disappointed. It had no guts ! Later I tried it with the baffle in the Goldstar and it still sucked. I went back to the original pipe and the bike pulled really well up the same grade. now, all though the bike was louder meaning more exhaust , there has to be an equal amount of mixed air and fuel. We cant get it with the stock EFI set up. If you read the Hitchcocks catalog description of the pipe it states something to the effect of upgrading the standard ECU with a POWER COMMANDER they have developed. Thats why the pipe didnt work worth a s&^t. Im hanging on to the pipe in case some day I go 535 cc. and get the head done. Then I'll spring for a Power Commander .
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 11:18:46 pm by Jack Leis »
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack