Author Topic: Pulsed Air Valve pipe removal? (Indian model)  (Read 5525 times)

wokka

• Bulleteer
on: March 13, 2012, 06:09:01 pm
Excuse my ignorance here, but what is the pipe that comes out of the front left hand side of the barrel, runs up to the tank and down to the airbox?

I only ask because I have blown a hole in it the size of an old school keyhole and now have a big exhaust leak.

From what I gathered from the mechanic it is emissions based, and there is a one way valve involved somewhere

Anyone care to shed some light on this?

*Thread renamed thanks to Ace letting me know what it was
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 08:22:05 pm by wokka »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 06:31:52 pm
I think that's the crankcase breather but it sounds like you don't have the UCE engine.  This setup is on the older AVL and/or iron barrel engines.  You should post in that forum for better assistance.

Scott

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:06:10 pm
I think that's the crankcase breather but it sounds like you don't have the UCE engine.  This setup is on the older AVL and/or iron barrel engines.  You should post in that forum for better assistance.

Scott

Nope, definately the UCE, I cant afford 2 bikes Scotty! Bikes in the shop so no close up pics, here is the best I could find in pics already taken.

Pipe is a 90 deg elbow, nuts at both ends, joining to another pipe that has a braided cover. funny thing is, I was trying to find a pic online, and on every bike, the pipe isn't there, there's just a nub sticking out of the cylinder right next to the exhaust... Must be an Indian market thing only

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 07:43:10 pm
From the location of it, I would say it is likely that it conjoins the exhaust port inside the head, and would be part of the PAV(Pulsed Air Valve) system,which is part of the emission control package.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 07:48:50 pm
I'm guessing Ace is right.  And I haven't seen that onany US bikes.

Scott

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 07:55:11 pm
From the location of it, I would say it is likely that it conjoins the exhaust port inside the head, and would be part of the PAV(Pulsed Air Valve) system,which is part of the emission control package.

that's it!, I couldnt get why the mechanic was saying "pav" the whole time.

So I think I understand the principles of it (after a quick search) so would I be right in saying that I can blank off the pipe right at the cylinder without any ill effects?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:03:18 pm
Nope, definately the UCE, I cant afford 2 bikes Scotty! Bikes in the shop so no close up pics, here is the best I could find in pics already taken.

Pipe is a 90 deg elbow, nuts at both ends, joining to another pipe that has a braided cover. funny thing is, I was trying to find a pic online, and on every bike, the pipe isn't there, there's just a nub sticking out of the cylinder right next to the exhaust... Must be an Indian market thing only

That's very strange. That's exactly the connection for the Pulsed Air Valve system that was on my '08 AVL before I removed ALL of that stuff & plugged the hole with a combination of a correct size cap & J-B Weld.

The pipe with the braided cover that you mention is the pipe that goes to the PAV control unit on an AVL engine (like my '08 Classic).

It almost looks like they used an AVL cylinder on a UCE engine (with no control unit) & left the capped 90 degree pipe attached. Over time, the pipe blew out from exhaust gas hammering on it.

Or am I all wrong & the UCE has that pipe & the PAV system? I'm completely unfamiliar with the UCE.  If so, where is the control unit on a UCE?
On an AVL it's right out there where all can see & I don't see it in your picture.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

wokka

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 09:16:15 pm
                That's very strange. That's exactly the connection for the Pulsed Air Valve system that was on my '08 AVL before I removed ALL of that stuff & plugged the hole with a combination of a correct size cap & J-B Weld.

The pipe with the braided cover that you mention is the pipe that goes to the PAV control unit on an AVL engine (like my '08 Classic).

It almost looks like they used an AVL cylinder on a UCE engine (with no control unit) & left the capped 90 degree pipe attached. Over time, the pipe blew out from exhaust gas hammering on it.

Or am I all wrong & the UCE has that pipe & the PAV system? I'm completely unfamiliar with the UCE.  If so, where is the control unit on a UCE?
On an AVL it's right out there where all can see & I don't see it in your picture.

I traced it back under the tank, and fumbling in the dark, it looked like it was ending up at the air filter, my guess is the PAV system passes indian emission requirements, but the O2 sensor and Cat were needed to get to euro/US spec

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 09:26:25 pm
...and a cost saver too.  At a quick glance the export bikes and the IDM's look the same, but there are less expensive parts used on the IDM's to keep the purchase cost down.  I think the cat torpedo is worth around $800.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 11:05:35 pm
My 2011 USA G5 with California Emission stuff has a nice unmachined cast boss on the cylinder head at that location.

I'm just guessing but if the flexible hose connected to the fitting goes to the air box it is something for emissions but the engine will run just fine without it being connected.

Because it is obviously a pipe connection and knowing that all standard pipe connections have machined plugs that will fit and seal the port I would look for a standard plug to replace the outlet fitting and then cap off the place where the hose connects to the air box and be done with it.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 11:09:06 pm
US bikes, I guess, don't have PAV's. Mine doesn't. But I have had several other bikes that did. They let air into the exhaust port so what is coming out of the tailpipe is diluted.Take it out and find a proper sized bolt to stick in the hole. It won't hurt anything, and may cut the backfiring a bit, if you're having any problem with that.
Bare  
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 11:11:16 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 11:20:46 pm
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,8709.0.html

As mentioned, this puts some fresh air into the exhaust.  At best it provides some oxygen to let the still hot gasses burn a little more completely, at worst it just dilutes the exhaust fumes.  I'm betting what's said in the other thread applies here too.

Scott