Author Topic: Uncomfortable, Weird Brake Pad Height  (Read 3909 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: March 09, 2012, 09:50:20 pm
           This has bothered me since my first ride on my '08 AVL Classic & I wonder:

Is it only ME?

My rear brake pad sits almost an inch higher than the foot peg & less than my heel to toe length away from the foot peg so that if I set my foot where _I_ want it, I have to constantly consciously hold the front end of my foot up off the pad or the brake light might come on.

OR put just the front part of my foot on the peg (I don't LIKE that).

OR hang my foot off the peg at a silly angle & then rotate it back when I need to tap the brake. I'm constantly thinking about what to do with my friggin' foot while I'm riding.

Can that whole lever be rotated down & then all the other rods be tweaked to bring the brake back to "instant on" like I have now?

It aggravates me enough that I've thought of cutting & welding it to a shape that lowers it to At Least LEVEL with the foot peg.       
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:57:33 pm
Isn't the foot peg adjustable?

On my 2011 G5, both footpegs can be adjusted to three different positions by loosening the hex nut that holds them in place.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2012, 07:18:22 am

Is it only ME?

My rear brake pad sits almost an inch higher than the foot peg & less than my heel to toe length away from the foot peg so that if I set my foot where _I_ want it, I have to constantly consciously hold the front end of my foot up off the pad or the brake light might come on.

OR put just the front part of my foot on the peg (I don't LIKE that).

OR hang my foot off the peg at a silly angle & then rotate it back when I need to tap the brake. I'm constantly thinking about what to do with my friggin' foot while I'm riding.

Can that whole lever be rotated down & then all the other rods be tweaked to bring the brake back to "instant on" like I have now?

It aggravates me enough that I've thought of cutting & welding it to a shape that lowers it to At Least LEVEL with the foot peg.       

It worked for me.
No matter where you go, there, you are.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2012, 03:39:49 pm
Isn't the foot peg adjustable?

On my 2011 G5, both footpegs can be adjusted to three different positions by loosening the hex nut that holds them in place.

The foot peg position on an '08 Classic is locked in between the tranny case & the exhaust pipe. If it was that simple, I'duvdunit  :)

I sat cross-legged on the cold floor last night for a while really staring at things on the left side & I think I see now that there IS a way to adjust the height of that pedal & then readjust the control rod. I've had my little heater on for a while down there & am about to head down & start the saga of the brake pedal. It's too chilly to ride today anyway.   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 03:40:45 pm
It worked for me.

What? The cut & weld?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 05:14:16 pm

Is it only ME?

I am SUCH an idiot at times I amaze myself!

All I had to do was LOOK closer.

The rear brake pad height is fully adjustable relative to the foot peg height. It took me 15 minutes to adjust it, readjust the brake rod & get my brake light back.

Now I can put my foot on the peg the way _I_ want it & not be touching the brake lever pad unless I decide to PUSH on it.

All's well with the world & my respect for these industrious Indian people who build this thing just went up aNUTHER notch.

BTW Anyone who hasn't watched the Youtube of the young Indian guy pinstriping the gas tanks yet should immediately go & find it (I think there are two). The guy is so PROUD of what he does it makes you feel even better about owning one of these bikes than you already DID.

(I'm embarrassed that I didn't figure this out before I wrote about it).

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 07:52:30 pm
Sometimes the trees are hard to see when your standing in the forest. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 10:49:13 pm

...or the saguaros?  ;D

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:11:31 am

the branches are slapping me in the face,,,,,,,,,at night, in the rain, on the trail,
twenty miles from the middle nowhere.  ;)  ;D

kodai

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 04:50:15 pm
?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 07:23:40 pm

kodai

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 07:55:37 pm
just trying to pull something up to get rid of all that spam

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 01:57:59 am
              What? The cut & weld?

Sorry, I meant the
          whole lever be rotated down & then all the other rods be tweaked to bring the brake back to "instant on" like I have now?
method.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 21, 2012, 01:38:47 pm

Sorry, I meant the  method.

Yup. That's what I did. See my post of March 10 where I admit what an idiot I am.