Author Topic: new kit made my choice  (Read 3914 times)

rabbit7

• Scooter
on: March 08, 2012, 02:41:25 pm
well guys made  my choice just bought  a 2010 classic  red 500 with a
black and red inder sidecar
will receive it april 1
anyone with this combo with comments or precautions ??
Rabbit7

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:19:31 pm
wow u jumping in full bore....I haven't done the sidecar thing but it looks like it be fun..From what the fellows tell me (who do) it quite a bit different from just 2 wheeling it...I bet right handed takes adjusting too...IMO I take it real easy and keep the speed down to 45 -50...Hell I do that on Green Machine anyway...Good luck on the new rig.
Oh Magoo you done it again

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 07:10:06 pm
I have a 2010 Classic with the Cozy Euro sidecar.  It is a lot of fun and gets rather good mileage for me.  Most of my use has been on local roads with 45 mph limit.  Some use on 4-lane with 55 mph limit.  Top speed empty or with moderate cargo is about 60.  Maybe a bit more on long downhill.  At 40 - 45 mph with light throttle I have3 gotten 64 - 65 mpg.  With heavy  throttle it falls to about 55 - 58 mpg.  That is US gal and indicated miles.  Have not checked odometer accuracy.  Most of my use is empty going out and with cargo of 75 to 100 lbs.on return.  I have had it 15 months.  About 10 of those I was using it.  It was in the shop at 1000 mi for check and waited 3 wks for new headgasket to stopoil leak.  At just over 2000 mi I had a short in electrical wiring and took it in for new loom.  it has been in the shop for just over 4 months now and I hope to get it back any months now.  New harness is not the same as original.  Some connectors have been changed and the new one requires modifying.  The wiring harness was damaged by the heat from battery , all the way to the speedometer and headlight.  No fuses blew.  The only thing that seems to take out the fuses on an Enfield is when the fuel tank blows from the fire.  I have no experience with the Inder.  With the Cozy, the suspension is very stiff compared to the bike.  I set up the rig with almost 0 leanout empty.  When I add my 195# to the bike , it is about right.  GA-DK

rabbit7

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 04:44:45 pm
thanks for the info im picking the rig up on april 1
im surprised to hear about your head  gasket did you do the break in period?
im looking for 50 t0 55 cruise. i will put a different muffler wich the company sells
and possibly run it a bit richer.Ihear they are set up a little lean to get extra milage
but iknow its abit hard on the engine.Will check this batterie heating thing  is there any precautions to avoid this anyone??
Rabbit7

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 10:45:31 pm
I was very careful with the break-in.  I did not notice the oil leak,but dealers shop noticed.  I had taken it in to get someone more familiar with the bike to take a look at it.  I had some small noises I could not identify.  The oil leak was the only thing they could find wrong.  GA-DK

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 04:13:40 am
Before you go ANYWHERE on that bike get some training. Riding a sidecar rig is NOT difficult but it is different. Cornering especially. I had a friend who was a cocky rider and thought he knew it all. Jumped on a URAL took a right hand freeway on ramp too fast and went right under a semi truck. You can learn what you need to know in an hour in a parking lot, but don't get cocky until you have ridden it some.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Blue Ridge Wheeltor

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 01:36:18 am
Before you go ANYWHERE on that bike get some training. Riding a sidecar rig is NOT difficult but it is different. Cornering especially. I had a friend who was a cocky rider and thought he knew it all. Jumped on a URAL took a right hand freeway on ramp too fast and went right under a semi truck. You can learn what you need to know in an hour in a parking lot, but don't get cocky until you have ridden it some.
Was that the writer for a MC mag that got killed? Heard about that, tragedy.
REA #25
2008 Royal Enfield Deluxe (Blue)
2006 Ural Patrol
1978 BMW R 100s--SOLD--
1977 HD XLCR
1971 Triumph Bonneville

rabbit7

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 04:50:35 pm
TNANKS FOR the advice im in  Quebec city  Canada
it will be hard to get a course but are there books or videos on managing these machines.Im ready to invest in any help.Ive read Kendalls bible so far but im all ears for  more.

rabbit7

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 05:20:19 pm
Rabbit again ihear the classic fork can twist a little in curves and there might be friction on the front mudgard as it goes up and down.Any stabylisers for the fork?
is it necessary?thanks

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 05:36:58 pm
Hitchcocks has a fork brace. Tain't cheap though.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com