Author Topic: BANNISHED  (Read 3860 times)

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
on: March 04, 2012, 05:57:43 pm
 Wow ! I finally was able to log in today ! Ive been banned since February 9th. After several tries to the webmaster, I decided to go to the top. I sent Kevin Mahoney an e-mail  last week and last Friday evening he sent an e-mail with a complete explanation and a plan of attack that he was going to try to hopefully put an end to the banned problem. I thank him for his efforts. Its great to be back on the Forum . Its amazing how much you miss it when you cant log in ! Anyway, with the software change he had mentioned in his e-mail lets hope that put an end to our problem.  Another thing, I cant believe how much I got done around the pad and on my bike while being banned. It just goes to prove I have another addiction I guess. IT'S GREAT TO BE BACK !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 08:21:53 pm
Glad to see most everybody is back!
This did really suck!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 09:43:07 pm
That happened to me at both my work and home computers. I sent several emails to the webmaster and never got a reply. However, after clearing my browser cookies and history I was able to log in just fine. So anyone who finds themselves banned erroneously should try that first.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 10:48:46 pm
Oooooo,   is that a clamp I hear in the distance?    :o :o
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:24:46 pm
There is a difference between being banned and not being allowed in. One feature that we had in the old forum was a spam scan when people signed up. If their email, ip, user name came up in a spam filter they were not allowed in. They just sat on a list that we never looked at. For example if you used a public connection and someone else had spammed from it (not necessarily here) you get on the list. Rhett tells me that he has some alternative system in place on the new forum. When we get foreign spam we cast a pretty wide net in terms  of the ip's that we disallow. That part we can control. (Good luck getting in from most places in Africa).
The other route is to get yourself banned by a TOS violation. Most with a warning some without. Very few people are actually banned for this reason but there are a small handful.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 01:45:38 am
why in the world this merv griffen song came to mind , I have no idea... ???  should have never studied to be a dj

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDFlka11Wlw