Author Topic: Ace UCE project.  (Read 163691 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #450 on: August 28, 2014, 10:10:13 pm
Some pics of the Ace UCE head mods, the Ace valve gear, and also the modified stock rockers with ratio added.

There will be new pushrods required because the rocker mods included a cup on the pushrod interface, and the pushrods will need to have ball-ends on both ends now. Also pushrod length should be checked when the engine is built, and order new pushrods to correct length. Pushrod change comes with the territory when modding rockers. Not expensive. I will instruct the owner how to measure.

Intake fits with stock injector housing.
Exhaust fits with stock exhaust, or aftermarket exhaust.

This is the most bang for the least buck that we could pull off.

This is amazing work Tom ! The pics make the importance of tip geometry ever so clear !

Once again : Roeland ! You lucky duck !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #451 on: August 28, 2014, 10:16:32 pm
Great work Ace!  Looks really good!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #452 on: August 28, 2014, 10:24:50 pm
Great work Ace!  Looks really good!

I think the best part about it is that it is very affordable, as far as the stuff we have produced so far. It's the least expensive overall package we have made.
It uses the cams that came with the bike, and still retains the auto-decompressor function to protect the ES sprag system.
It retains the hydraulic roller tappets for no adjustment requirements.
Works with the stock piston, or the 535 flat-top piston.
The rocker system significantly increases the lift, and adds about 8-10 degrees to the effective duration between the .050" lift points.
It flows very close to 200 cfm.
It has a 32.8mm inlet tract, which will support 6000 rpm, if the rev limiter is re-set to a higher rpm.
Torque will be increased all thru the range, and the rpm range will be increased.

Everything about this head's specs say it should be the centerpiece of a UCE that can do The Ton, if the EFI can be re-mapped to suit the need, and a free flow exhaust package is installed. This head gives the capability, at the lowest price that I know about. The owner already has the Power Commander V and the Autotune, and some experience in mapping it. I think this bike will give us some very good performance and valuable feedback info.

Re-posting the pics, since they got pushed back on the last page.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 10:32:04 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #453 on: August 29, 2014, 12:27:49 am
I m pretty sure this one don't do the ton, but who's asking me. Here it is in all its glory...and a hand 'ported' exhaust port with the motor still mounted on the bike. yes, that's how these schmucks did it...with a hand held grinder with the engine still on the bike.

I mean this one: ---> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Royal-Enfield-C5-Bullet-Royal-Enfield-Custom-Cafe-Racer-/271588012795?forcerrptr=true&hash=item3f3be832fb&item=271588012795&pt=US_motorcycles

Also, I think the owner is being disingenuous. I remember watching this on the show and they never claimed it did the ton. They even tried "race gas" and pumped up the tires for minimal rolling resistance....

"This 2010 Royal Enfield C5 Bullet was featured in several episodes of Discovery Velocity's "Cafe Racer" TV series and has been designed and rebuilt by several of the country's top custom cafe builders. The subject of the series' "Royal Flush" features, the C5 Bullet was extensively rebuilt by Loaded Gun Customs (rearsets, electrical work) Spannerland/Cosentino Engineering (Race Tech/Hagon suspension) and J&B Moto Co. (paint, Siuzuki GS 450 E fuel tank, Yamaha race fairing, paint, rear taillight) along with Cafe Racer magazine's Blake Kelly who not only tested the Enfield on the New Jersey Motorsports Park track on the series, but who was also responsible for re-designing the fuel injection system and running gear. The Bullet's top speed has been increased to 100 MPH and brake horsepower increased as well. "

Bwahahahaha !..... D'oh !   Sorry.   Ahhhhh.... No.   Oversizing the ports and ripping them open, adding a Power commander ?.... No.   "TOP" Custom Cafe racer builders in the country ?   Well..... I remember a certain show, at a certain booth. Where one guy brought TWO complete  Bikes that RAN !  And are still daily riders.  Oh..... And another guy who brought ONE, that didn't run and wasn't even completed.  Hey.... but the boy COULD talk .   Another great decision by..... Well  :-\    ;D      Fourteen  different outfits to build a bike ?........ PO-lease !  Someone buy that bike and fix it !!  Nice looking though I think.....

There I go again !   Sorry Ace  ;)

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #454 on: August 29, 2014, 01:02:00 am

"This 2010 Royal Enfield C5 Bullet was featured in several episodes of Discovery Velocity's "Cafe Racer" TV series and has been designed and rebuilt by several of the country's top custom cafe builders. The subject of the series' "Royal Flush" features, the C5 Bullet was extensively rebuilt by Loaded Gun Customs (rearsets, electrical work) Spannerland/Cosentino Engineering (Race Tech/Hagon suspension) and J&B Moto Co. (paint, Siuzuki GS 450 E fuel tank, Yamaha race fairing, paint, rear taillight) along with Cafe Racer magazine's Blake Kelly who not only tested the Enfield on the New Jersey Motorsports Park track on the series, but who was also responsible for re-designing the fuel injection system and running gear. The Bullet's top speed has been increased to 100 MPH and brake horsepower increased as well. "

Bwahahahaha !..... D'oh !   Sorry.   Ahhhhh.... No.   Oversizing the ports and ripping them open, adding a Power commander ?.... No.   "TOP" Custom Cafe racer builders in the country ?   Well..... I remember a certain show, at a certain booth. Where one guy brought TWO complete  Bikes that RAN !  And are still daily riders.  Oh..... And another guy who brought ONE, that didn't run and wasn't even completed.  Hey.... but the boy COULD talk .   Another great decision by..... Well  :-\    ;D      Fourteen  different outfits to build a bike ?........ PO-lease !  Someone buy that bike and fix it !!  Nice looking though I think.....

There I go again !   Sorry Ace  ;)

That's ok, GHG.
You saved me from having to say it!
 ;D

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #455 on: August 29, 2014, 01:18:09 am
 Well.... That Black and neon green Classic Bonnie LOOKED interesting anyway ! :o  And the other guy should learn how to maybe replace the wheel bearings on that old "Custom" Jap bike before it goes on national TV  perhaps ?   You ..know basic stuff maybe ?!  But those two propane cylinders used as gas tanks were clever ?!  :o    Alright..... I'll stop now  ;D
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #456 on: August 29, 2014, 05:20:25 am
Tom,

Thank you again - I look forward to the head.

Regards

Roeland

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #457 on: August 29, 2014, 05:46:56 am
Tom,

Thank you again - I look forward to the head.

Regards

Roeland

Shipping in the morning.
Thanks, Roeland!

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #458 on: August 29, 2014, 08:23:15 am
Hi Tom,

would there be a benefit to consider titanium or alloy pushrods?

Thanks

Roeland

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #459 on: August 29, 2014, 12:28:16 pm
Hi Tom,

would there be a benefit to consider titanium or alloy pushrods?

Thanks

Roeland
Roeland,
IMO, a regular nice tempered chrome-moly steel pushrod is the best choice.
The other materials are lighter, but they also flex more, and can also bend.
I suppose you could use any of those materials, but the general consensus of the speed community is that steel is best. The stiffness is more important than the higher weight in this application.
I don't have any UCE pushrods here, but I think an O.D. of 5/16" or 8mm, with wall thickness of about 1.5mm would be good, and they need to have rounded ends on both ends, because the new rockers have a cup attached, and the lifter acts like a cup. So, a simple shaft with rounded ends of the right length and diameter should do.
The length should allow the pushrod to pre-load into the lifter by about a half-mm (.020") when the head is seated fully down.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 01:50:45 pm by ace.cafe »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #460 on: August 30, 2014, 06:42:20 am
As I recall, they clocked the bike with radar stock and then never really mentioned the final speed.  They didn't mention hitting the rev limiter so...

Pretty bike but I'd call it a mostly cosmetic project.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #461 on: August 30, 2014, 01:54:07 pm
As I recall, they clocked the bike with radar stock and then never really mentioned the final speed.  They didn't mention hitting the rev limiter so...

Pretty bike but I'd call it a mostly cosmetic project.

Scott
After watching them hog out that exhaust port with a grinder while the head was still on the bike, right on the "Cafe Racer TV Show" with everybody watching, like that's some kind of "normal activity", I would say that head is ruined.
I consider that a butcher job.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #462 on: August 30, 2014, 02:56:25 pm
I just tried to find that episode and was unsuccessful.  Was it that bad that they pulled the episode off of the internet?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #463 on: August 30, 2014, 03:06:09 pm
I just tried to find that episode and was unsuccessful.  Was it that bad that they pulled the episode off of the internet?
I just tried to find it, but I didn't see it on YouTube.
Don't know why.
Those guys are hacks.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #464 on: August 30, 2014, 03:09:28 pm
I just tried to find it, but I didn't see it on YouTube.
Don't know why.
Those guys are hacks.

I even went to Discovery's website and they no longer have it listed as an episode that you can watch there either.