Author Topic: Ace UCE project.  (Read 163784 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #315 on: February 25, 2013, 11:53:26 am
$400 retail with a programming cable is a good price IMO.

Scott

Well, as it turns out, the final price I had to pay was $450, including various fees for stuff like "Bank Charges", which I didn't really want to pay, and $60 for shipping.
But, at least I got the stuff on the way here now.

I informed them that in the future, when I wish to purchase these items for re-sale with our performance kits, that we need to discuss some kind of dealer pricing.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #316 on: February 25, 2013, 06:17:02 pm
Still, that's in the ballpark of other similar units like the PC3.  When something gets made in smaller numbers there's often a premium to pay for it.  I'm glad this one seems reasonably priced.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #317 on: February 25, 2013, 06:35:28 pm
Still, that's in the ballpark of other similar units like the PC3.  When something gets made in smaller numbers there's often a premium to pay for it.  I'm glad this one seems reasonably priced.

Scott

Scott,
What kind of exhaust system are you using?
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #318 on: February 25, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
I've got the stock header with an Emgo reverse cone.  They make two that are within about an inch of each other, this is the shorter.  With stock intake I haven't noticed any difference in performance compared to the stock torpedo but I do get fewer vibes all around, most notable through the pegs.  This is a steel baffled unit, not a glasspack.  Noise is about the same as stock, maybe a touch louder at speed but your neighbors would never notice.  And it looks way nicer ;)

I also have a pod filter, not a K&N but similar.  Thin fiber element that can be used dry or oiled.  I had mounted it right to the throttle body but that dropped my MPG by about 10%.  It did seem to have a bit more giddyup with that and the intake howl sounded great.  I have a length of radiator hose about the right diameter and I'm planning to mount it again sometime with a little length to both smooth out the airflow and increase the air capacity betwee the filter and the TB.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #319 on: February 25, 2013, 09:43:28 pm
On the dyno, mine started to shut off the gas at 5500 and the mixture would start to lean out, but the engine would keep running to 5900 before it would quit. The power dropped off rapidly above 5500 but it was interesting to see the engine keep on revving. Or quite like most of the engines I've had dynoed which quit pretty much at redline or maybe 100 RPM higher.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #320 on: February 25, 2013, 10:49:10 pm
Here's some detail on what I have on:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=15416.0

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #321 on: February 25, 2013, 10:53:28 pm
On the dyno, mine started to shut off the gas at 5500 and the mixture would start to lean out, but the engine would keep running to 5900 before it would quit. The power dropped off rapidly above 5500 but it was interesting to see the engine keep on revving. Or quite like most of the engines I've had dynoed which quit pretty much at redline or maybe 100 RPM higher.
Bare

Well, I expect that we will gain control over that function, among other things.
I'm sure it will be an interesting experience to work with the unit and see what we can get out of it, in conjunction with our modifications.

We have a few ingredients of our recipe coming together now, but it takes everything together to bake this cake. Still a lot of work to do.
We're trying to retain all the nice convenient features like the EFI and the Electric Start and the auto-decompressor and the hydraulic lifters, and all that stuff for minimum fussing that everyone seems to like, and still provide some nice "go power" with the package.

It's a fun process. There are some frustrations along the way, just like most anything, but we enjoy doing it.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #322 on: February 25, 2013, 10:58:15 pm
Here's some detail on what I have on:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=15416.0

Scott

It looks very good.
However, we are gonna need a full size inside-diameter header on there for this head.
 ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 11:02:03 pm by ace.cafe »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #323 on: February 25, 2013, 11:37:22 pm
Well that's good :)  I also suspect you'll be going for a higher flow muffler anyway.  The D&D system looks nice but as I recall that was an internally stepped header, don't remember the diameters offhand.  Nice that it has a second layer heatshield built right in, and it gives the whole thing a burley look to boot.  Hitchcocks has a full diameter pipe, no heat shield I believe, but it's got the O2 bung and I bet the quality is good.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #324 on: February 26, 2013, 12:18:20 am
This Hitchcock pipe is nice. It's a bit larger diameter than the stock RE pipe. With a Goldie silencer, it makes less power than stock! The bottom end power is gone! Jack had one on his bike. It didn't work well. He went back to the stock bike with the Goldie.
Ron Greene said the D&D pipe was worth 4 hp. I'm assuming he meant over the stock pipes. If true, that's a good hike!
Bare
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #325 on: February 26, 2013, 02:49:04 am
This Hitchcock pipe is nice. It's a bit larger diameter than the stock RE pipe. With a Goldie silencer, it makes less power than stock! The bottom end power is gone! Jack had one on his bike. It didn't work well. He went back to the stock bike with the Goldie.
Ron Greene said the D&D pipe was worth 4 hp. I'm assuming he meant over the stock pipes. If true, that's a good hike!
Bare
Bare

That doesn't surprise me at all, about the reduction of low rpm torque after losing the smaller I.D. stock header. The smaller pipe has higher flow speeds and improves scavenging at lower rpms.
However, it loses the advantage at higher rpms because of being small. So, it's a two-edged sword.
We see the same thing with the Iron Barrel engines when people install a 350 exhaust system on the 500 to improve low rpm torque, and it works. But it loses a lot of power at higher rpms because it's too small to work at the higher rpm range.

With a port that is designed to work into a larger pipe, it should be a better overall match. I'm not going to say that the larger I.D. pipe will give better torque at low rpm than the smaller I.D. pipe, but with the right exhaust port it should give a decent low rpm performance while being much better in the higher rpms. It's all a matter of balancing the performance throughout the rev range.
With any fixed diameter and fixed length exhaust system, there is only one area where it is ideal, and the rest is compromise. Making a very useful compromise is the art of it.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 02:53:40 am by ace.cafe »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #326 on: March 08, 2013, 11:01:45 pm
Okay, I need a refresher on the I.D. of these pipes, please.

IIRC, the D&D has a 1.625" I.D. at the head joint. Is this correct?
And what is the I.D of the Hitchcock's pipe, without the reducer? Is it also 1.625" I.D.?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #327 on: March 11, 2013, 06:56:57 pm
I now have the programmable ECU and the software for the UCE in my hot little hands!
It arrived today.

Familiarization process with the hardware and software will commence!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #328 on: March 11, 2013, 07:08:59 pm
Funny ...that elusive, and probably the most critical piece got done first. Assuming that the head is almost done, piston next, then exhaust...then vroom vroom!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #329 on: March 11, 2013, 07:10:59 pm
Funny...the part that you were most concerned about got prototyped first....With the head nearly complete, I am guessing its piston time, exhaust then vroom vroom ! haha ! Good times ahead !

Testing ? Did someone say testing ?