Author Topic: Ace UCE project.  (Read 163733 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #240 on: November 19, 2012, 10:04:38 pm
Thanks again :)  I suspect this is a "dumb" ECU, and cold temps and atmospheric pressure changes are accounted for by applying a simple factor to the entire map.

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #241 on: November 19, 2012, 10:17:42 pm
Thanks again :)  I suspect this is a "dumb" ECU, and cold temps and atmospheric pressure changes are accounted for by applying a simple factor to the entire map.

Scott

Well, I plan to take things a step at a time.
If the ECU turns out to be an unworkable stumbling block, then we can run a carb.
If I can figure out a good way to work with the ECU, then I can use it.
I'm open to all the possibilities.

Right now, I am working on making this head flow.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #242 on: November 19, 2012, 10:26:59 pm
Like you say, the ECU has the ability to adjust the fuel/air ratio towards the rich side to accommodate cold weather riding.
I'm not sure which sensor it is using but I would guess it is the oil temperature sensor located under the intake valves inlet port.  (This is directly into the oil supply to the rocker arms).

The sensor should give the following readings:
-20* C (-4* F) = 18.8 kilo ohms
+40* C (104* F) = 1.136 kilo ohms
+100* C (212 *F) = 0.1553 kilo ohms

By tweaking the resistance output between the sensor and the CPU, the unit might be fooled into thinking a richer fuel/air ratio was needed thus more power could be obtained.

This might even be a switchable addition so when just puttin' around the correct temperature reading would be sent to the ECU and if more power was wanted the unit could be engaged by flipping a switch?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #243 on: November 19, 2012, 10:33:19 pm
Like you say, the ECU has the ability to adjust the fuel/air ratio towards the rich side to accommodate cold weather riding.
I'm not sure which sensor it is using but I would guess it is the oil temperature sensor located under the intake valves inlet port.  (This is directly into the oil supply to the rocker arms).

The sensor should give the following readings:
-20* C (-4* F) = 18.8 kilo ohms
+40* C (104* F) = 1.136 kilo ohms
+100* C (212 *F) = 0.1553 kilo ohms

By tweaking the resistance output between the sensor and the CPU, the unit might be fooled into thinking a richer fuel/air ratio was needed thus more power could be obtained.

This might even be a switchable addition so when just puttin' around the correct temperature reading would be sent to the ECU and if more power was wanted the unit could be engaged by flipping a switch?

There's a thought that might come in handy!

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #244 on: November 19, 2012, 10:35:51 pm
An ECU form Racedynamics was discussed a while back and has now been released, at least the website says so.

http://racedynamics.in/products/powertronic

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #245 on: November 19, 2012, 10:43:30 pm
I'm also guessing it's the oil temp sensor that does that, but just pushing everything up all across the map is a very crude and inaccurate way of adjusting the map.  It might "work" but you'd very likely have some spots too lean and others too rich.  If you're going to do it, do it right. ;)

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #246 on: November 19, 2012, 10:59:00 pm
An ECU form Racedynamics was discussed a while back and has now been released, at least the website says so.

http://racedynamics.in/products/powertronic

I just sent them another email inquiry.

I have sent them six email inquiries prior to this, over the last year or so.
Maybe they will respond to this one, if I'm lucky.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #247 on: November 20, 2012, 12:11:51 am
I would call them. They have a phone number listed. They are in B'lore, pretty sure they speak English.

Or, call one of their many suppliers: http://racedynamics.in/where-to-buy
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:16:24 am by 1 Thump »

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #248 on: November 20, 2012, 01:05:43 pm
............  If you're going to do it, do it right. ;)  ..........

+1
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #249 on: November 20, 2012, 01:18:42 pm
Long conversation last night about the project.
"Goldilocks and 3 Bears" concept, not too hot, not too cold, just right.

Some basics were that we'd try to do a very good "bang for the buck" porting job and valve job, without resorting to expensive heroic modifications.
There will be some slight amount of port filler(epoxy) used to correct the port bowl deformities.
Some unique valve seat angles have been developed to assist the flow, and this has so far added a pretty good amount of flow.

We ARE going to get those valves opened up a little further. We're looking at the 2 basic methods by which we can do that, and we'll see what shakes out. We are sending the cams in to be put on the Cam Doctor and analyzed, and then we'll see about doing something with them. We are lucky on this particular job to have a legendary cam grinder who is willing to look at this for us, and possibly do a grind.

We will be pursuing the 535cc route with a new piston, and doing as much as possible with the new piston to improve everything we can with it.

The big "IF" is all around the ECU for the EFI and the rev-limiter. This is the fly in the ointment.
I'm looking at ways to get into that thing, but if it is too difficult, I'm not ruling out a move to a carburetor.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:34:45 pm by ace.cafe »

iron.head

• Scooter
Reply #250 on: November 27, 2012, 05:01:21 am
Hi ace.cafe

I just spoke to Chetan at RaceDynamics regarding the ECU for UCE500. He said that they are currently selling the unlocked one and it's readily available. He can be contacted on +91 80 40929292 and chetan@racedynamics.in

I have forwarded him the links to this thread if he can give us a reply here.

Some info about their ECU is available on this link:

http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/motorcycle-performance-parts/racedynamics-50054/

Hope that we see some good development here!

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #251 on: November 27, 2012, 06:07:21 am
I want one !
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #252 on: November 27, 2012, 09:05:24 am
From the site:
"Why has RaceDynamics not come up with a performance boosting ECU for the Royal Enfield Classic 500 like a better top end speed and overall power gain?

First of all, the aim of the RaceDynamics stock replacement ECU is to increase the riding pleasure for the rider of the Classic 500 by eliminating the various glitches the stock ECU has been plagued with.

Secondly, many Royal Enfield Classic 500 have reported violent fishtailing of the motorcycle at speeds exceeding 100 Kph. So, in the interest of our customers’ own safety, we have not programmed the ECU for better top end speed and more power although such potential does exist with the Classic 500′s UCE engine."

Sounds like they haven't raised the redline and don't intend to.  Though they make one that will map to a free flow exhaust and is totally programmable with a laptop.

Scott

iron.head

• Scooter
Reply #253 on: November 27, 2012, 09:31:40 am
RaceDyncamics is currently selling only one ECU for UCE500 which is unlocked, as they call it. This ECU can be connected to a PC to be programmed.

As far as I can understand, they had plans to launch 2 different ECU. One which is unlocked and can be programmed and the other one which is locked. In this link another ECU has been described which is meant to work with export UCE500 which comes with an O2 sensor. I don't know if they are currently selling the export model, or if the current one can be made to work with export UCE500 by programming it accordingly.

Chetan can be contacted for more information. I have posted his contact details above.

iron.head

• Scooter
Reply #254 on: November 27, 2012, 09:44:45 am
Had a telephonic chat with Chetan at RaceDynamics. He said that the locked version of the ECU(which does not work with the O2 sensor) will be available in some time. Currently the unlocked version is available. He also said that they need ECU pin configuration and other details to launch the ECU which works with O2 sensor and that they will launch one if they receive mass orders.

Also, they will need an O2 sensor, exhaust and wiring for to work on the export model ECU which will most probably have to be sourced from abroad as RE doesn't sell them in India.