Author Topic: Ace UCE project.  (Read 167562 times)

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #135 on: April 28, 2012, 02:02:31 pm
I confirmed it with them via e-mail before I placed my order. I was going to get an EFI pipe from NField Gear, but it was out of stock, so I got the equivalent from Hitchcock's. I figured I'd get the header pipe to make it a complete exhaust. I'll post a few pics of the pipe when it arrives.
'11 C5 Military

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #136 on: April 28, 2012, 02:22:12 pm
I confirmed it with them via e-mail before I placed my order. I was going to get an EFI pipe from NField Gear, but it was out of stock, so I got the equivalent from Hitchcock's. I figured I'd get the header pipe to make it a complete exhaust. I'll post a few pics of the pipe when it arrives.

Dear Hobbydad,
I would love to know the inside diameter of that pipe when you get it.
If you could measure the I.D. of it on the end that goes into the cylinder head and post it here, I would very much appreciate that!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #137 on: April 28, 2012, 02:42:17 pm
Sure thing, I'll get out the calipers as soon as it arrives. I'm not sure exactly when that will be, I picture it coming over on a slow boat, lol.

I have a 19T sprocket coming with it as well. I'm going to see how close a K&N, their exhaust system, and the 19T get me to 100 mph. If it's not close enough I have money burning a hole in my pocket for their 535 piston/cylinder kit.
'11 C5 Military

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #138 on: April 28, 2012, 04:39:46 pm
Sure thing, I'll get out the calipers as soon as it arrives. I'm not sure exactly when that will be, I picture it coming over on a slow boat, lol.

I have a 19T sprocket coming with it as well. I'm going to see how close a K&N, their exhaust system, and the 19T get me to 100 mph. If it's not close enough I have money burning a hole in my pocket for their 535 piston/cylinder kit.

Okay.

I'm hoping to have a cylinder head here pretty soon, and we can get started on the head work.

With a 19T sprocket, we'll need to make peak power of around 36 hp at the rear wheel at 5600 rpm to make the Ton.
In stock form, the bike makes about 19.8 hp at 4750 rpm, at the rear wheel.

Basically, the task entails approximately doubling the rear wheel horsepower, and moving the hp peak to approximately 5600 rpm. We might be able to get away with a couple less hp, but not much less. And it will have to peak around 5500-5600 rpm.
That's what it takes to make the Ton.

If you use a good fairing and low bars to put you in a tuck, then you might be able to do it with a few less hp.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 04:43:46 pm by ace.cafe »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #139 on: April 28, 2012, 04:44:32 pm
Oh, is that all?  And I thought you needed a steering stabilizer and a cafe fairing ;)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #140 on: April 28, 2012, 05:23:53 pm
Oh, is that all?  And I thought you needed a steering stabilizer and a cafe fairing ;)

Heh!
It's not such an easy task that some people seem to think.

When we did the Fireball, we started with a bike that peaked at 16hp at the rear wheel at around 4400rpm, and ended up with a bike that peaked at 37 hp at the rear wheel at around 5800 rpm.

And when we put that thing on the road, we were maxxing out at 96-98 mph, and having a very tough time getting any higher.
Eventually with some improved tuning techniques, we were able to sneak it over the Ton, but not by much. Chumma's bike did 102 mph.
Of course, this was a naked military bike with the hard luggage bags on it,which wasn't the paragon of aerodynamics. But, it was what Chumma had, and we were determined to get the Ton with it.
After it was all said and done, we were able to get unfaired regular Fireballs (without baggage) up to nearly 105 mph, if they were tuned perfectly, and had the shortened header for wave tuning the exhaust.

It definitely takes some work.
If it was easy, everybody would already be doing it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:33:50 pm by ace.cafe »

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #141 on: April 28, 2012, 05:43:49 pm
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how they hit the ton on the cafe racer tv series. My guess is that they either lie about it, run downhill in a tail wind, or put NOS on it or some other cheat.

GreenRE

• Bulleteer
Reply #142 on: April 28, 2012, 06:03:42 pm
Oh, is that all?  And I thought you needed a steering stabilizer and a cafe fairing ;)

After about 65-70 mph just overcoming wind drag needs a lot of torque forget accelerating to the ton.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #143 on: April 28, 2012, 06:24:21 pm
I want to reinforce what Ace has said about "if it were easy everyone would be doing it". This is not as simple or as easy as you might think. Just throwing off weight and adding a few teeth to the sprocket will not do it. With sprockets and weight reduction you hit the point of diminishing returns pretty quickly. It takes the whole package to do a good job. Chassis, engine, fairing and rider
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #144 on: April 28, 2012, 07:12:09 pm
My rev limiter goes to 5900.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #145 on: April 28, 2012, 09:46:58 pm
Yeah, I have no delusions of grandeur. I'm just curious what I can do in my garage with a few bolt on's. I have a good friend that got me interested in riding again and he has a V-Strom. His idea of a "ride" is a 3 week trip from Ohio to Yellowstone and back. Ideally I'd just like to have a more comfortable high end crusing speed, so we can ride together. It would be cool to hit 100, but it's not a requirement. My bikes a '11 C5 Military, and I have no plans on stripping it down to the frame, or changing any of the bodywork.

Just out of curiosity, when I had it up to 80 the other day it seemed really smooth. I could tell that's about all it had in it, but it was obviously not on the rev limiter, which is what I thought would limit it . What's holding it back then, is the engine just starving? Can't get enough air in or out in the stock configuration? I'm mechanically inclined, but this is relatively new to me.

Edit: And to Kevin, having only owned my C5 for 3-4 weeks, I told my dealer I would be back to buy the first Enfield Cafe Racer he got his hands on.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:50:12 pm by Hobbydad »
'11 C5 Military

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #146 on: April 28, 2012, 10:29:18 pm

Just out of curiosity, when I had it up to 80 the other day it seemed really smooth. I could tell that's about all it had in it, but it was obviously not on the rev limiter, which is what I thought would limit it . What's holding it back then, is the engine just starving? Can't get enough air in or out in the stock configuration? I'm mechanically inclined, but this is relatively new to me.

Top speed is reached when the forces holding the bike back(rolling resistance and aerodynamic drag) are equal to the maximum horsepower output of the engine at the rpm it is at, after being transmitted to the rearwheel. Your resistance forces equal your forward propulsion capacity.

The reason you couldn't go beyond about 80 mph is because the  gearing puts you at that speed when you hit the max hp output rpm of around 4800 or so.
This can vary a little bit from bike to bike, and especially from rider to rider, because a larger rider will cause higher aero drag.
You are essentially horsepower limited at that point.

If you weren't horsepower limited there, you would be able to continue to a higher speed.

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #147 on: April 28, 2012, 10:44:04 pm
Gotcha, I am definetly limited in the rider to HP ratio, lol. I'm 6'3" 240, so I have that to overcome.
'11 C5 Military

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #148 on: April 29, 2012, 05:46:02 am
This is the nicest thread I am part of, after the Fireball. I'm Luvin It !! ;D

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #149 on: May 04, 2012, 10:47:23 am
My parts landed in New York on 5/2, but instead of being delivered to me in Toledo, Ohio on 5/3, they arrived in Fresno, California. Apparently by mistake, no kidding? No wonder the USPS is in trouble, geez. Maybe I'll have everything yet this weekend, we'll see.
'11 C5 Military