Author Topic: Ace UCE project.  (Read 168335 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #465 on: August 30, 2014, 03:21:29 pm
I even went to Discovery's website and they no longer have it listed as an episode that you can watch there either.

Comedy section perhaps ?  ... Really boys, don't bother, You'll only get pissed.......
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #466 on: August 31, 2014, 12:02:53 am
.......... Hey.... but the boy COULD talk ......

8)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #467 on: September 29, 2014, 07:10:16 pm
We have tracked Roeland's Ace UCE head to Cape Town South Africa, and it should be arriving to him soon.
Apparently, there was a postal labor strike or something in South Africa, and it delayed this delivery by several weeks, which was out of our control. But the package is not lost, and should be delivered very soon.

Roeland has the PC-V and the Autotune module, and has experience in setting up the maps, so it shouldn't be too long until he is riding. It will be needed for him to obtain new pushrods of the correct type and length for this head, and also to check the valve to piston clearance upon reassembly. I think it should all clear without problem, but it should be checked. I recommend using a squish distance of 1mm from the top of the piston to the flat bottom of the head for best results.

So, we should be seeing some reports in the fairly near future about how he likes it.
Just giving the update, in case anyone was wondering what was taking so long.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #468 on: September 30, 2014, 06:04:48 am
Yes - we're having some postal strikes and can expect 6 weeks delays on foreign parcels. I have been waiting on some items I ordered in July and still have not received them. The cylinder head is in Cape Town since the 23rd but no further movement since. - will keep you updated.

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #469 on: September 30, 2014, 05:04:38 pm
At the local post office - I will collect tomorrow.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #470 on: September 30, 2014, 07:40:07 pm

Please keep in touch with any questions!
I sent an email with a few of the major topics to watch for.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #471 on: October 24, 2014, 11:17:35 pm

Got updates for us Roeland?

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #472 on: November 13, 2014, 11:03:43 am
Hi,

I have not fitted the head yet. I'm waiting until my son has school holidays (after 03 December) as I'm currently giving him  every day a lift on the bike to the train station (the bike is my main mode of transport).

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #473 on: November 14, 2014, 02:41:20 am
Nice one Roeland! I was giving my daughter a lift to school all last year- she loved it! Helmet and goggles and the little leather jacket -I could tell she was really tickled when we'd pull up in front of her classmates....and on the back she's like" faster daddy ,faster!"  Enfields are gold!
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #474 on: November 14, 2014, 05:16:44 am
Nice one Roeland! I was giving my daughter a lift to school all last year- she loved it! Helmet and goggles and the little leather jacket -I could tell she was really tickled when we'd pull up in front of her classmates....and on the back she's like" faster daddy ,faster!"  Enfields are gold!

+1  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
Reply #475 on: December 10, 2014, 03:07:19 pm
Maybe slightly off topic, but...

Given that we have a spanking new billet head design for the UCE, designed from a clean sheet of paper and no unnecessary compromises.....

So a question for ACE...

What if you had to do it for the Iron barrel head?
What would you do given a blank slate - I understand that you push the limits with the existing GP head using Hitchcocks big head as a base, but does it make sense to make a brand new billet head design for the CI engine too?

Regards
Vivek

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #476 on: December 10, 2014, 11:05:50 pm
Maybe slightly off topic, but...

Given that we have a spanking new billet head design for the UCE, designed from a clean sheet of paper and no unnecessary compromises.....

So a question for ACE...

What if you had to do it for the Iron barrel head?
What would you do given a blank slate - I understand that you push the limits with the existing GP head using Hitchcocks big head as a base, but does it make sense to make a brand new billet head design for the CI engine too?

Regards
Vivek
We could make some minor modifications, and use the UCE billet head on the CI engine too. The bore and displacment, and the stud pattern, and the pushrod locations are all the same. Trim off the barrel spigot, and use a flat top piston, and it's good to go. The intake stud spacing is the same as for the manifold we use for the carb, so the carb/manifold will go right on. Maybe some adjustment for using a UCE exhaust pipe on the old frame. Head oiling would require a single external oil pipe from the normal location at the oil pump to the temp sensor threaded boss location on the head, and a plug in the oil hole in the bottom of the head.

Haven't measured it to see if it would fit under the Iron Barrel tank, or not. Probably would.

Question was a little off topic for this UCE forum, but there is your answer as I see it.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:11:47 pm by ace.cafe »

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #477 on: December 11, 2014, 04:20:52 am
We could make some minor modifications, and use the UCE billet head on the CI engine too. The bore and displacment, and the stud pattern, and the pushrod locations are all the same. Trim off the barrel spigot, and use a flat top piston, and it's good to go. The intake stud spacing is the same as for the manifold we use for the carb, so the carb/manifold will go right on. Maybe some adjustment for using a UCE exhaust pipe on the old frame. Head oiling would require a single external oil pipe from the normal location at the oil pump to the temp sensor threaded boss location on the head, and a plug in the oil hole in the bottom of the head.

Haven't measured it to see if it would fit under the Iron Barrel tank, or not. Probably would.

Question was a little off topic for this UCE forum, but there is your answer as I see it.

Lets stay off topic for one more moment, how about a fireball or even a GP head on the UCE?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #478 on: December 11, 2014, 12:13:00 pm
Lets stay off topic for one more moment, how about a fireball or even a GP head on the UCE?

That's also theoretically possible, but a little more complicated. We are basically trying to give GP head features in the new Billet head for the UCE, but limited to the existing GT 34mm throttle body so people don't have to buy a new injection system.

BTW, I did have a discussion with the machinist about enlarging the bore of the throttle body for special builds, and they can do it. It would cost some money to do, but shouldn't be prohibitive for someone seeking even more rpms and power.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #479 on: March 10, 2015, 09:53:48 pm
Update!
The ACE UCE Billet Head programming has begun!

While I was there looking at the CAD screen, we discussed the possibility of making some minor changes to allow the head to go on the regular 500 bore size as an option, instead of just the 535 only. And at this point, it appears that MAY be possible, but the valves wouldn't be quite as big as the 535 version.

Things are still in the CAD modeling phase, so I can't say anything is "set in stone" as of yet. Things could change as the CAD gets closer to the final.

Once the CAD is final, we are going to order the billets and special tooling, and start cutting heads! Once that happens, we'll have heads very soon after that. Like the next day!