Author Topic: Ace UCE project.  (Read 163846 times)

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #270 on: November 28, 2012, 05:48:27 am
Guys you could completely do away with this ECU thing. Many people in India are converting their UCE 500s to carbed version, using a Ucal 32/33 CV carbs.

This calls for a change in stator, rotor, wiring, TCI ignition and coils, all of these can be borrowed from the younger sibling of C5,  the Classic 350 (except for the carb). And thus you could play around with all kind of jetting etc..............here is the thread
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/motorcycles-f13/classic-500efi-modifications-maintenance-t26074-13/

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #271 on: November 28, 2012, 12:01:01 pm
Guys you could completely do away with this ECU thing. Many people in India are converting their UCE 500s to carbed version, using a Ucal 32/33 CV carbs.

This calls for a change in stator, rotor, wiring, TCI ignition and coils, all of these can be borrowed from the younger sibling of C5,  the Classic 350 (except for the carb). And thus you could play around with all kind of jetting etc..............here is the thread
http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/motorcycles-f13/classic-500efi-modifications-maintenance-t26074-13/

Hi Bradey,
Yes, that option is always on the table.

What I'm trying to accomplish with this, if we can, is to get a simple plug-in modification that fits right into the existing bike with the same connector plug, and work with everything that is already there, and do what we want.
That would be the top preference. If we can't get exactly that, we can begin to work our way down the preference scale.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #272 on: December 09, 2012, 11:45:48 pm
Tom
Are you planning on ratio rockers for the UCE, or is that exclusively for the fireball kit.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #273 on: December 10, 2012, 11:32:08 am
Tom
Are you planning on ratio rockers for the UCE, or is that exclusively for the fireball kit.

I definitely have it in mind.

Chiefharlock

• Bulleteer
Reply #274 on: December 10, 2012, 09:12:02 pm
ACE, are you guys looking at using the same 535 barel and piston set up that Hitchcocks has for sale in their catalogue/ website?
Ton Up!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #275 on: December 10, 2012, 10:42:49 pm
ACE, are you guys looking at using the same 535 barel and piston set up that Hitchcocks has for sale in their catalogue/ website?
Chief,
No, we'll be making our own piston, and boring the barrels to suit.

However, there is some chance that the Hitchcock's stuff might still be compatible. I just don't know yet because we haven't completed the project yet, and the valve timing and valve lift will affect the piston design. And there could be some chamber mods or squish/quench mods that will dictate some things about the piston.
So, we have to wait and see when we get closer to finishing up this project.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 10:55:13 pm by ace.cafe »

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #276 on: January 21, 2013, 08:27:15 pm
Just thinking out loud here. Can an electrically driven supercharger find its way inside an Ace air can. No belts, discreet, just enough boost, nothing crazy. 

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #277 on: January 21, 2013, 10:55:03 pm
Just thinking out loud here. Can an electrically driven supercharger find its way inside an Ace air can. No belts, discreet, just enough boost, nothing crazy.

I suppose if Peugeot can supercharge a 125cc scooter ...
http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/firstrides/122_0509_peugeot_jet_force_125_compressor/

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #278 on: February 08, 2013, 02:33:40 am
UCE head is almost finished development.
Ace valve gear installed.
Rocker work still to come.
Piston comes after that.

Details as they come in.

b.sheets

• Bulleteer
Reply #279 on: February 08, 2013, 03:49:13 am
UCE head is almost finished development.
Ace valve gear installed.
Rocker work still to come.
Piston comes after that.

Details as they come in.

whats the price range looking like for this?
I think I remember you saying something about making it available in stages.
what kind of price scale are you thinking? just trying to plan out my next few bike purchases in the hundreds of dollars price range.
thanks ace
2012 C5 Special(SOLD)
2013 Triumph Thruxton

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #280 on: February 08, 2013, 09:50:21 am
whats the price range looking like for this?
I think I remember you saying something about making it available in stages.
what kind of price scale are you thinking? just trying to plan out my next few bike purchases in the hundreds of dollars price range.
thanks ace

I have not worked out any prices yet.
I'm aiming to make it as affordable as I can.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #281 on: February 08, 2013, 05:55:06 pm
So will this be usable now with the rest of the bike stock or is this just the first step and now we get into the fuel mapping, etc.?

Scott

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #282 on: February 08, 2013, 06:35:11 pm
So will this be usable now with the rest of the bike stock or is this just the first step and now we get into the fuel mapping, etc.?

Scott

Hi Scott,
What we have now will be usable with the stock bike.
However, it will not be optimized, because the flow curve favors more lift of the valves to get what the porting job gives. But if a person wanted to put it on the bike the way it is now, it would still give some improvement. It's just that the cams are so low lift that they just can't get the valves open enough to get good flow.
I would suspect that if the ported head was used the way it is, with stock valve lift, the stock ECU would have a good chance at being able to adjust for its needs automatically. But I  think it would give only a mild power boost to do that.

So, the next step is to get some valve lift.
And then a 535 piston for more bore, crown clearance for higher valve lift, and establishing a proper squish distance.
And then the performance ECU.

We have plans for each of these subsequent steps.

The best news that I got is that it appears that this mod should be quite affordable, and includes our Ace valve gear with the beehive springs.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 06:40:58 pm by ace.cafe »

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #283 on: February 08, 2013, 06:42:33 pm
Thanks Ace.  Glad to hear it's both affordable and scaleable.  I'm guessing this will be the base step for all future UCE hot rodding.

Scott

rep_movsd

• Bulleteer
Reply #284 on: February 08, 2013, 07:32:58 pm

There are a couple of people who have tried this and I'm sure it can be made to work but pump gas is not going to cut it - Supercharging means you have too much dynamic compression.

I had a different idea - have a super charger, but only run it at the bottom 2000 RPM or so.