Author Topic: Ace UCE project.  (Read 163975 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #165 on: May 06, 2012, 07:31:09 pm
It was about $250 pounds shipped, so whatever that transfers over to in dollars. Money well spent I think.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, can the UCE top end be taken off with the motor in the bike? If I where to order their piston & cylinder set, could I install it without dropping the engine out? I know the upper end is assembled with studs, and the parts obviously stack. It looks like I'd be ok by simply removing the gas tank.

Yes, the top end can come off while the engine is still in the bike.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #166 on: May 06, 2012, 10:34:19 pm
Repozer,
If I could have done the AVL, i would have.
There was too much needed to correct, and the needed procedures were too costly to make it worthwhile to do, and there aren't enough of them out there to make it financially viable as a project. Even Bullet Whisperer seems to have given up now.

Given up? Far from it, Ace ! But as you say, there are not too many AVL machines about compared with other models. The Electra X was still in production when I embarked on the tuning work. I could turn another one round in a short time frame, but there isn't the demand, a high percentage of owners must be satisfied with them in a fairly standard form. My tuning work is only a small sideline to restoration, including wheel building, for many makes and types of classic machinery.
 That said, I have just created another 'Asbo' Bullet, this one is a 350 iron from 2006, which moved like a crippled slug when it arrived, but is a little more rapid now !
 No, the basics of what I do haven't changed, but if they don't come through the door, they don't get done.
 There are some tasty BSA / Triumph Triples here at present, one with three pipes stacked up one side  ;D.
 The AVL is easy to tune, shame they stopped making them, I doubt I will try tuning an EFI, as I am too busy with other stuff, and you look like you have that one taken care of and in safe hands, even the racing is taking a back seat at present
 I am snowed under with work and enjoying every minute of it !
 All the best,
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #167 on: May 07, 2012, 12:48:14 am
Given up? Far from it, Ace ! But as you say, there are not too many AVL machines about compared with other models. The Electra X was still in production when I embarked on the tuning work. I could turn another one round in a short time frame, but there isn't the demand, a high percentage of owners must be satisfied with them in a fairly standard form. My tuning work is only a small sideline to restoration, including wheel building, for many makes and types of classic machinery.
 That said, I have just created another 'Asbo' Bullet, this one is a 350 iron from 2006, which moved like a crippled slug when it arrived, but is a little more rapid now !
 No, the basics of what I do haven't changed, but if they don't come through the door, they don't get done.
 There are some tasty BSA / Triumph Triples here at present, one with three pipes stacked up one side  ;D.
 The AVL is easy to tune, shame they stopped making them, I doubt I will try tuning an EFI, as I am too busy with other stuff, and you look like you have that one taken care of and in safe hands, even the racing is taking a back seat at present
 I am snowed under with work and enjoying every minute of it !
 All the best,
 B.W.

Very good, BW!
Glad to hear things are going well for you!

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #168 on: May 08, 2012, 04:13:22 am

Mike: 

Very nice pictures and information on the size of the pipes.  Your new EFI pipe and silencer looks absolutely wonderful.

Does it have a better pick up ? How loud is it at idle and at high speed as compared to stock bazooka ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #169 on: May 08, 2012, 07:39:06 am
Thanks Sing, for the compliment and your great YouTube videos, which I have already put to use.
As for the bike, I haven't gotten to take it out for more than a few miles since the installation, but my butt dyno says its improved. I've had the bike maxed to 80 once, and that's probably where my comparison will be, as soon as I can get back to an open country road. I would say the sound at idle and at speed is at least doubled. I liked the way the stock torpedo sounded, but I love the way this system sounds. I'll get it out in the next day or so for the top end run, I want another benchmark before I install the 19T, which will be this coming weekend.
'11 C5 Military

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #170 on: May 11, 2012, 09:11:04 am
All performance hungry riders must read this article "Steve Lindsell's 102 MPH Lap at the Isle of MAN" published in the latest edition of the "THE BEAT" magazine published by Royal Enfield http://royalenfield.com/images/publication/magazine/The_Beat_%20March_%20April%202012_lowres.pdf

Just goes on to prove again and again, how underbuilt these RE bikes were and still are. I think tuners like ACE can do wonders with the new UCE engines !!

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #171 on: May 14, 2012, 03:20:03 am
My parts landed in New York on 5/2, but instead of being delivered to me in Toledo, Ohio on 5/3, they arrived in Fresno, California. Apparently by mistake, no kidding? No wonder the USPS is in trouble, geez. Maybe I'll have everything yet this weekend, we'll see.

Hobbydad, you're in Toledo, Ohio? Meet your newest stalker ;) I live in the Old South End behind the zoo. If you ever see a guy on a green G5 with a leather jacket that has Thumper painted on the back of it... pull me over so we can chat!
I'm anxiously awaiting Ace's UCE project to come to fruition, because I'm all about making my beloved G5 a little more high-performance! Your military looks so rad - I'll definitely keep my eyes out for ya!
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #172 on: May 14, 2012, 09:21:12 am
Yeah, I'm on the far east side, almost Northwood. I can usually be found crusing up & down 65 along the river, between Rossford & Grand Rapids, beautiful ride. I've pulled up every event calendar I can find for Ohio, and plan on getting to as many cruises & shows as possible this year. The wife & I rode out to the Parkway Plaza car show Friday, that's in your neck of the woods. We'll probably be there on a regular basis. I'm sure we'll see each other at some point  :)
'11 C5 Military

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #173 on: May 14, 2012, 10:16:15 pm
Finally had a chance to get to a stretch of open road today. Seat of the pants feel is great right off the line, but didn't really have any top speed improvements. With the new parts I can get it up to 70 in fourth quickly, but switching up to fifth only gets the same 80 mph top end. The 60-70 mph range in fifth is great, and that's what I was hoping for. Now I can cruise along with my friends more modern bikes without issue.

I'm happy with the header/muffler, 19T, K&N, but it'll take motor work to get me to a more ballistic top speed.
'11 C5 Military

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #174 on: May 14, 2012, 11:49:12 pm
Finally had a chance to get to a stretch of open road today. Seat of the pants feel is great right off the line, but didn't really have any top speed improvements. With the new parts I can get it up to 70 in fourth quickly, but switching up to fifth only gets the same 80 mph top end. The 60-70 mph range in fifth is great, and that's what I was hoping for. Now I can cruise along with my friends more modern bikes without issue.

I'm happy with the header/muffler, 19T, K&N, but it'll take motor work to get me to a more ballistic top speed.

We will do our best to accommodate the need in the motor work department.
It's pretty clearly a breathing issue.

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #175 on: May 15, 2012, 12:12:53 am
I'll be looking forward to your work.

Quick question, are the rocker cover gaskets re-usable? They appear to be rubber. I ask because my lifters/rockers are exceptionally loud after today's ride, and I thought about taking a look at the rockers. I did hit the rev limiter twice today in 3rd & 4th (I think), the bike just pulls completely thru the lower gears. I was watching the speedo climb trying to get a feel for the shift point, and it bounced once in 3rd, and once in 4th. I was approaching a stop after my upshift to 5th, so I pulled in the clutch and coasted to the sign. The bike stalled out on me, so I went to the side of the road and gave it a sec before restarting. No issue restarting, but it acted funky after for the rest of the ride. When I got home I double checked all the exhaust fasteners, pulled the plug to check the color & gap, and checked the oil level. Everything checked out fine, but it still sounds loud to me, louder than normal. Is there a chance one of the hydraulic lifters collapsed, or maybe a stud pulled a bit? I hardly think two hits on the rev limiter would cause any serious issues, especially under load, but I guess you never know.
'11 C5 Military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #176 on: May 15, 2012, 12:42:53 am
Totally reusable.   Same for the grommets on the valve cover bolts.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #177 on: May 15, 2012, 01:27:02 am
I'll be looking forward to your work.

Quick question, are the rocker cover gaskets re-usable? They appear to be rubber. I ask because my lifters/rockers are exceptionally loud after today's ride, and I thought about taking a look at the rockers. I did hit the rev limiter twice today in 3rd & 4th (I think), the bike just pulls completely thru the lower gears. I was watching the speedo climb trying to get a feel for the shift point, and it bounced once in 3rd, and once in 4th. I was approaching a stop after my upshift to 5th, so I pulled in the clutch and coasted to the sign. The bike stalled out on me, so I went to the side of the road and gave it a sec before restarting. No issue restarting, but it acted funky after for the rest of the ride. When I got home I double checked all the exhaust fasteners, pulled the plug to check the color & gap, and checked the oil level. Everything checked out fine, but it still sounds loud to me, louder than normal. Is there a chance one of the hydraulic lifters collapsed, or maybe a stud pulled a bit? I hardly think two hits on the rev limiter would cause any serious issues, especially under load, but I guess you never know.

I can't say about the noise.
You'll have to just see what it sounds like to you.

Just FYI, there's no point in hitting the rev limiter at this stock stage of tune, because it's done making power by 4750 rpm. Anything more than that, and you are actually making less power as you go up in revs.
And the torque band is so wide, you don't have to worry about dropping off the power when you shift.

Hydraulic lifters have a nasty habit of pumping up as higher rpms are reached. Any instability in the valve train, and the lifters take up the extra lash, and then the valves don't close all the way until the lifters can drain back down.

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #178 on: May 15, 2012, 02:25:07 am
Thanks for the replys, all good info. As for the limiter, I wasn't meaning to hit it at all. I was in the higher gears, and it felt like it had more to give, so I kept going. I burped once in 3rd and I upshifted, then it did it again in 4th and I upshifted. It's not anything I plan on repeating.  :)

I figured I'd pull the tank and take the rocker covers off just to take a look, I like to tinker. Everything looked ok up there. I cycled it 3-4 times by hand with the kick starter, nothing seemed out of place that I could tell. I put it all back together, if the louder valve train noise continues I'll let my dealer listen to it.

I took the opportunity while I had the tank & seat off to re-route all the bikes wiring. I also pulled the battery/tool box/air box/fuse box, and rear fender to do a complete job from end to end. I don't care for the wire wraps or ties they use, so I bought a bag of good zip ties and re-did it all. I did the bars too, only thing left is behind the headlight, maybe I'll finish it tomorrow. I think it looks much cleaner now, very happy I took the time to straighten it up.
'11 C5 Military

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #179 on: May 15, 2012, 11:09:34 pm
I'm 100% positive I've narrowed down the louder valve train noise I thought I was hearing. It's the louder clicking you hear when you first start it up cold, it eventually stops when the engine warms. The decompressor? It's not stopping, or closing, or whatever it does when the engine warms. I'm sure of it after listening to it today, that's the clicking I hear, constantly now. It might explain why the exhasust sounds weird to me as well. Is there anything I can do to check this out, or should I just take it to the dealer for inspection? I don't mind pulling a case cover or two. Is there anything electrical, or is it strictly mechanical in nature?
'11 C5 Military