Author Topic: Ace UCE project.  (Read 166524 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #150 on: May 04, 2012, 08:50:58 pm
My parts landed in New York on 5/2, but instead of being delivered to me in Toledo, Ohio on 5/3, they arrived in Fresno, California. Apparently by mistake, no kidding? No wonder the USPS is in trouble, geez. Maybe I'll have everything yet this weekend, we'll see.

Hobbydad,
When you put the exhaust pipe on, try to resist opening up the exhaust port to match it, unless you are certain you don't ever want it to be professionally ported.
We'll soon be working on that, and it will eventually be available, and we will be doing the exhaust port properly for sure.

Once the head has been modified, it makes it impossible for us to go in and make it right afterwards.
Just a "heads up"! :D
Home of the Fireball 535 !

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #151 on: May 04, 2012, 10:47:01 pm
Ace, as much as I enjoy my AVL engine, you guys are making feel jealous.  :D

2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #152 on: May 04, 2012, 10:56:37 pm
Ace, as much as I enjoy my AVL engine, you guys are making feel jealous.  :D

Repozer,
If I could have done the AVL, i would have.
There was too much needed to correct, and the needed procedures were too costly to make it worthwhile to do, and there aren't enough of them out there to make it financially viable as a project. Even Bullet Whisperer seems to have given up now.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #153 on: May 04, 2012, 11:13:49 pm
Thanks Ace. I understand.
 The AVL is fun and reliable in stock form. But it"s defiantly NO Fireball.

If I can ever wear it out, I will look for a B5.

Best wishes for the Ace UCE project!
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
  • Your only as old as you feel
Reply #154 on: May 05, 2012, 12:09:23 am
I recieved everything today, I'll have some pics and measurements for you shortly (I'm at work now). I have already installed the exhaust and tappet cover, couldn't start on the 19T yet, they had a typo on the order and didn't send my case gasket. I'll give you a quick run thru of the install issues too, nothing major, but a few are noteworthy.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:25:16 am by Hobbydad »
'11 C5 Military

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #155 on: May 05, 2012, 01:30:59 am
Ok, I won't be able to post any pics until tomorrow, no way to do it from work. I do have my note with measurements though, these where taken quickly with my inexpensive mechanical calipers, so bear with me.

Old pipe (and yes, this is the right order)
Top ID- 1.175"
Bot ID- 1.315"

New pipe
Top ID- 1.650" w/o adaptor ring
Top ID- 1.250" w/ adaptor ring
Bot ID- 1.535" reduced to slip into muffler

You'll see the adaptor ring I'm talking about in the pics, it's a seperate piece that slips into the bigger pipe, reducing it to the heads exhaust port size. Looks like its steel, maybe iron, pretty heavy duty. You could probably go to town porting it to match a modified head. I installed it as is, since mines a stocker. Also should note, I don't believe it's possible to go without it.

I can tell you without a doubt that not only is the new muffler 1/4 the weight of the torpedo, the new pipe is 1/4 the weight of the double walled stocker. In fact, I thought for a second it was actually a 1/8" thick steel pipe.

'11 C5 Military

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #156 on: May 05, 2012, 02:27:41 am
Installation notes:
You have to play around with their exhaust flange, see how it best fits your head. It can go on 4 different ways, but on mine it only fit right 1 way, and I had to trim one small fin about 1/16" to get it right. They give you two gaskets, stack them to get a proper fit/seal, that's the way mine was done from Enfield.

The pipe is bigger externally, once installed my rear brake lever hit on the bottom of it. My stop bolt for the lever was already adjusted all the way down, so I had to take the jam nut from the top and put it on the bottom. Once I did this I made a minor adjustment to keep the lever off the pipe.

The o2 sensors in a slightly different spot, so I removed the zip tie for a little more play. I put the zip tie back on to keep the horn and clutch cable in place. Wind the o2 sensor up a bit counter-clockwise, so when you tighten it down the wirings relatively straight.

The muffler/bracket/clamp all went together without an issue, simple and well thought out. My muffler didn't have an insert, the hole is there for a bolt, but nothing's there to remove. I'll have to check their catalog, but I think it says something about that. I took a pic looking up through it, it's like an old glass pack, straight shot pretty much. I rode it into work tonight, sounds great, no backfire at all.

Last but not least, the tappet cover. 2 of the 4 allen bolts where stripped from Enfield, but I got them out by tapping torx bits into them. It looked like the engine builder liked his silicone sealer, he must have used damn near a tube of it. I cleaned it all up, went to the local hardware store for new 5mm bolts (they had them in stainless with phillips heads, that'll work for now), and put it back together. Love the look of the lettering, no more "EFI", lol.

I'd like to take a second to say, these parts are all top notch. There's a premium to pay for them, but the chrome looks good, the welds are great, and everything fit the way it was supposed to. I'd recommend these parts to anyone that asked.

Now, if only I had that case gasket.....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 02:33:30 am by Hobbydad »
'11 C5 Military

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #157 on: May 05, 2012, 02:02:52 pm
Parts right out of the box. You can see the adaptor I talk about
over to the right, next to the gaskets & clamp.

Quite a differance, in size & weight.

Wow!

Even with the insert it's bigger. I know it doesn't look like it,
but if you look closely at the old pipe, you can see there's
carbon buildup along the lip that makes it look bigger. The ID
is so small at the top that it's actually "in" the exhaust port.

A couple of close-ups, showing the welds/chrome/o2 bung/flange/ect.

A look thru the muffler, pretty much a straight shot. It sounds awesome.

'11 C5 Military

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #158 on: May 05, 2012, 04:26:11 pm
Hobbydad,
That was some great info and great pics!
Thanks!

It really helps me to begin formulating some plans which can now include some dimensions for including the transition to the pipe.
Very helpful.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #159 on: May 05, 2012, 04:54:22 pm
+1, thanks!   Those pics tell a story.  The stock pipe looks so small in comparison. 

Scott

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #160 on: May 05, 2012, 05:00:09 pm
I'm glad to help. From the looks of it, it's basically a 1-5/8" pipe, necked down to 1-1/2" for the slip-on. The bushing takes it down to 1-1/4" at the exhaust port, the bushings meaty and has alot of room to work with. I should have taken a few measurements of just the bushing itself. I'll have my case gasket by next weekend, and I'm thinking of dropping the exhaust to pull the case. I know it's not needed, but if I do I'll take a few close-ups of just the bushing and get a few more measurements.

Edit; The most amazing part of the swap was the stock headers weight, I still can't get over how heavy that pipe was. Even the difference between the mufflers pales in comparison to the headers. Also, and I'll add this to the trade section, if anyone wants any of the stock pieces for any reason, I'd be glad to send them out for the cost of shipping. They won't be going back on the bike, ever.  :)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 05:07:18 pm by Hobbydad »
'11 C5 Military

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #161 on: May 05, 2012, 07:34:50 pm

'11 C5 Military

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #162 on: May 05, 2012, 08:42:32 pm
Send it to Ace, let hI'm see what we're dealing with.

Scott

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #163 on: May 06, 2012, 06:57:07 am
Hobbydad, how much was the damage to the exchequer............!!

Hobbydad

• aka Mike
  • Bulleteer
Reply #164 on: May 06, 2012, 06:52:30 pm
It was about $250 pounds shipped, so whatever that transfers over to in dollars. Money well spent I think.

Anyway, just out of curiosity, can the UCE top end be taken off with the motor in the bike? If I where to order their piston & cylinder set, could I install it without dropping the engine out? I know the upper end is assembled with studs, and the parts obviously stack. It looks like I'd be ok by simply removing the gas tank.
'11 C5 Military