Author Topic: UCE engine: what's inside the casing?  (Read 3683 times)

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
on: March 01, 2013, 04:38:56 am
I understand how an engine works theoretically (revolutions and the chamber and sparks and all that), but I'm trying to understand what's inside the case of my 2010 UCE engine.

I found this picture:
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-RoyalEnfield-500ccUCEEFIEngine.htm
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2009models/2009-RoyalEnfield-500ccUCEEFIEnginea-small.jpg

I can see the cylinder, encased in fins for air cooling, and the part at the top back of the engine must lead to the exhaust system.

Obviously the round part (with the words Royal Enfield) is where the gearing happens, but what exactly is going on in there physically?

And how does the power get transmitted to the chain? (I know enough to know that the answer is "via the transmission," but not enough to understand any further.)

I don't need to have everything custom-explained to me (although you guys are smart), but if there are some basic reference docs I can learn from, I'd appreciate being referred.

Rich

Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 05:04:42 am
The service manual has good parts diagrams, lots of pictures, and some interesting english. Check out this video:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im9NcrHxVLc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 06:29:12 am
Buy the Haynes Motorcyle Basics (or something similar, forget exactly) and it will take you through a lot of these questions.  Not RE-specific, but it's kind of better that way.  It's a great book and taught me a lot.  Perfect reading on the john...!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 10:33:45 am
Buy the Haynes Motorcyle Basics (or something similar, forget exactly) and it will take you through a lot of these questions.  Not RE-specific, but it's kind of better that way.  It's a great book and taught me a lot.  Perfect reading on the john...!

+1, x2!  I'm half-way through it as we "speak", and I'm learning gobs.  Rich, I'll even bet that you've perhaps got a decent library near you which might even have it for you to borrow...

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:07:53 pm
You guys are waaay too industrious ......   I gave up trying to follow torque through transmission gear clusters a long time ago .......   The closest I ever got to understanding the workings of a transmission was to think of it as a kind of clock-works.....   (like a cuckoo-clock)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 03:39:18 pm
Very basic description.

That round part under the Royal Enfield logo in that cutaway diagram is the clutch. It has part of it which is connected to that chain from the crankshaft which you can see in the diagram, and the other part is connected to the transmission shaft which goes inside and holds the gears. There is a powerful spring and friction plate system which clamps these parts together when the bike is riding, and the clutch lever on your handlebar releases this spring pressure when you pull it in, so you can change gears, and then lets it clamp again when you let out the clutch lever.
Inside the transmission, there are two shafts with various gears(cogs) on them which have different diameters and have gear teeth numbers to suit their size. When you shift gears, the shifter moves these gears back and forth on the shafts so that certain gears mesh together, to give you a certain gear ratio. Then when you switch gears again, different gears mesh together to give another gear ratio, and so on, all  the way up to top gear.
The final drive chain is driven by the output shaft of the transmission, which is concentric with the main shaft, and is locked to the gear that is selected inside the gearbox, and that drives the output sprocket on the front of the final drive chain. The chain then drives the rear sprocket at the wheel, and these different size sprockets form the final drive gear ratio with the drive chain.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 03:48:21 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 04:53:29 pm
The part on the back of the engine is the fuel injector. The Exhaust comes out the front. You will see two coil springs in the head. Those are the valve springs. The valves themselves don't show in the picture, but the springs go around the valve stems and close the valves the valve heads and ports are down by the spark plug. he things on top of the piston, I guess, are supposed be the valves, but it's hard to tell in the picture. It looks like the edge of the intake valve just coming into the picture in the combustion chamber.
There are better pictures available that show the valves and ports, so you can see how the mixture flows through the engine.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 06:07:27 pm
Ordered Haynes - thanks, AgentX and Matt
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 07:28:29 pm
Better yet, buy an old lawn mower or chain saw cheap and just take it apart.  Once it's in front of you it's plain as day.  If you really want to see inside a transmission buy a dead bike for $100 or so and tear it open.  Nothing beats actually seeing it, though there are some really good computer animations on YouTube if you poke around.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 01:17:31 am
I'll look around on YouTube for transmission animations - the Haynes chapter has left me unclear...

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 07:08:15 am
I'll look around on YouTube for transmission animations - the Haynes chapter has left me unclear...

Neither the Haynes basic book nor any other paper explanation I've found of transmissions really helps me with how the meshing gears interact.  I think I'll need to play with the inside of one to really grasp it.

I still just think of the parts I can see and trust that someone smarter took care of the actual gear reduction process.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 07:53:32 am
If you're still in india pick up an old Bajaj to take apart. Simplest transmission ever!

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 03:29:31 pm
I think there are some excellent pictures on this website that might explain some of your questions as to how bits fit together.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=d74671e4419dc6ca&resid=D74671E4419DC6CA!113&id=D74671E4419DC6CA!113
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں