Author Topic: Cleaning and detailing  (Read 4842 times)

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
on: March 01, 2012, 12:17:31 am
Wanted to put this out there...what do ya'll use to clean and detail your iron barrel RE's?  I was going to use some GUNK foaming engine cleaner...but directions say NOT to use it on motorcycle engines...so I guess soap & water and a brush are in order....any takers?
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 12:49:12 am
I used to spray WD-40 on the barrel.  It keep it black and would burn off with a ride.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 01:16:22 am
I'm wanting to clean the nice shiny parts some...they're looking a bit motley...I use a degreaser like Simple Green to clean up the greasy nasty parts
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 03:00:23 pm
I used to spray WD-40 on the barrel.  It keep it black and would burn off with a ride.
I used to spray butter flavored PAM non-stick cooking spray on the jug of my DLX...it kept the paint black,hid the "controlled seepage",and smelled like pancakes when it got hot! The downside was that the overspray would turn the other aluminum parts yellow...but the eggs wouldn't stick... ;)...W-D 40 is probably better...I use Windex on the chrome and aluminum,followed by Brasso,if needed...use soft clean rags,like old bath towels,or t-shirts,NEVER paper towels...they SCRATCH!
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

clay

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:13:39 pm
Thats why got the OD green paint job. Little WD-40 and a soft rag and I'm ready to go ... ;D
2005 military RE
57 Sears Allstate 250
61 Sears Allstate 250
69 Sears Allstate 250
66 Sears Allstate 175
74 honda z50

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:37:07 pm
I have some spray cleaner at O-Reilly's Auto Parts that works really great. It's called Simple Clean and is much better than Simple Green. It's a 32 oz bottle for about $5.00. Cuts grease with the best of them and doesn't leave the haze like SG. Even makes cleaning chain lube off rear rims easy!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

dogbone

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:06:45 pm
kerosine
99 Enfield Bullet 535
a man isn't drunk,if he can lie on the floor without hanging on

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:01:02 pm
kerosine

Kerosene is good stuff. You have to be a little bit careful with it or you could have people marching up & down in front of your house, but that's just common sense. I don't worry; my house is pretty isolated, but I'm not gonna pour it in the crick either -again that's just common sense. I was a common sense conservationist long before the screamin' greenies were born; in fact, before their parents were born.

Back in the day, I had a car I used to wipe down completely with kerosene once in a while. It would blind you in the sun. When I use it to clean anything now (I put it in a spray bottle) I spray any that ends up on the driveway with house siding cleaner. I usually put a piece of left-over cardboard under it. The house cleaner is potent enough to dilute it well, I let it sit a while & then just spray it with water & I come out the other end totally guilt-free.

A lot of the cleaning products available now have been so greenified they're  useless.

Does your State dye it red now? Mine does. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 04:25:06 pm
Well it all depends what kind of condition your bike is in and how you plan to keep it up. I am a rare breed on a here and detail both of my bikes identically. One is a Yamaha cruiser chromed out and the other is my 07 black iron barrel. I go high end and balls out with whatever i do so my Enfield definitely sticks out lol. You can probably eat off it but that's just how i do stuff. And my bikes are ridden too.

I dont really use any of the methods mentioned on here but i think in general there are a few simple things you can do to wash. Cover up any sensitive areas from water and give any rough areas a mild degrease with simple green. Dont let it sit too long though before rinsing. A soft brush can help agitate the grime off if needed Then wash the whole bike with an actual good quality car was soap/mitt. Anything from mothers or mequiars is safe. Dry the bike thoroughly after. On chrome or the unfinished case covers use Flitz or Never dull. Paint, just stick with a carnauba cleaner wax. It will take out minor defects and add shine/protection. If ya want the black painted jug shiny looking use S100 engine brightener(engine dressing). Use microfiber towels BTW. This should give you a nice start and everything i listed is available almost anywhere. Oh and if you wanna do a simple un dust(not grime just dust) you can use a spray wax/quick detailer by the same brands. Spray and wipe so its easy. Hope this helps ya

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 06:43:39 pm
I just let it build up til I get big enough chunks of filth to wipe off with my bare hand.   I then wipe my hands off on my good pants so the wife can have a minor embolism...
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 11:57:10 pm
I would stay away from microfiber polishing cloths,unless they are BRAND NEW...those little loops pick up EVERYTHING that's in the wash water...sawdust,sand,grit,grime...they may look and feel clean,but they will scratch the crap out of anything chrome,or painted black...best to stick with 100% cotton baby diapers...you can buy new ones at WalMart cheap,and they WILL NOT scratch paint or chrome...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 06:34:47 am
I stopped using WD-40 because it contains a silicone that turns white on the engine after a while.  This is not good on a black engine.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

02Electra

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 08:34:02 am
I brush the entire engine , grimy frame parts, rim spokes with diesel , then wash everything off with detergent. For the fuel tank, casquette and side panels i use a mild auto shampoo.

If your bike has passivated zinc items on it, this'll make em shine like new.

Works a treat everytime.
2002 RE Electra CDI
India

Jinx

• Here we go again!
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 04:30:16 am
 Lower half of bike gets diluted simple green and good auto soap for up top. S100 for the jug.
 Beware, using simple green,simple clean,purple power or whatever to degrease and clean is ruff on a bike. If you want to make it shine spray it down with "RemOil" or "Break free" gun oils. RemOil has additives that fight/prevent rust and brings a nice shine to your polished aluminum and chrome.
 303 for the rubber and seat.

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

2 ways to get to the top of a tree. Sit on an acorn or start climbing!

2008 RE Classic Deluxe
1990 HD FXST-C
1970 HD XLCH
1942 HD WLA
& probably enough parts lying around to make another bike. LOL!

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 07:25:57 am
What is S100 and what is 303?
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

n1acguy

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 08:13:51 am
303 is a rubber and vinyl protectant.
If the bikes aren't too dirty with grit, I dry wash with Pledge.
My 2ยข YMMV

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 11:34:05 pm
I don't have first hand knowledge of S100 but I do with 303.

It is called 303 AEROSPACE PROTECTANT (which is a protected trade mark complete with what looks like a mis-spelled word).

It is a sun block that says on the label "SPF 40" For Your Stuff.
It is made to protect plastics, vinyl, Naugahyde etc.

It is about the best stuff I've ever found for this, beating ALL of the other so called protections by a wide margin.
It doesn't come cheap and I've only been able to find it in my area at Boat Shops where it is sold to protect seats, canvas and similar stuff that is exposed to rain, surf and sunlight.
It is sprayed on and wiped off leaving no real trace except the surface looks newer. 
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary