Author Topic: Royal Enfield and sidecar performances  (Read 22013 times)

rabbit7

• Scooter
on: February 21, 2012, 01:41:26 pm
I am very interested in the Royal Enfield Bullet 500 with Cosy sidecar.  Could anybody fill me in on the performances of this unit, especially expected cruising speed with and without passenger.  Fuel consumption and overheating or not would be interesting.

Thanks for your help.

Rabbit7

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 03:54:11 pm
Is this a new Bullet or an old Iron barrel you are thinking about.   

If its a new bullet the performance and would be better than the Iron barrel I have.

That said the basic rig is just that, basic.  It is a motorcycle with a tub attached to the side.  Are you familiar with outfits? 

I would not take a hack on the superslab but anyplace reasonable with speeds under 55mph would be fine.   Stopping takes longer and you can't readily dodge the folks cutting you off.  They are not that bad for trips in that you have more freedom of movement in the saddle when riding.

I get about mid 40s for mileage on my rig, not bad.  I would not worry about overheating if you set the engine up correctly on th eolder models. 
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

rabbit7

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 01:29:23 pm
I'm looking at  a new Royal enfield either a classic with the Inder side car
or i here the electra  with  19 instead of 18 inchwheels and a cozy could be
a better combination.So again What can i expect as performance with and without a passenger.ANY THOUGHTS??thanks
RABBIT7

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 02:09:15 pm
Its a sidecar outfit...  Don't expect it to perform or ride like a motorcycle.       On a motorcycle you ride it,  leaning into corners and countersteering, not so with a hack. 

On a sidecar you steer it, lean and make the rig in the direction you want it to go through pure force of will.   If you have a monkey you are less prone to fly the car.   Depending on the lean of the bike and tow in of the car depends on if it pulls left or right.  I keep mine setup to go perfectly straight empty and I sense an ever slight pull to the right with a monkey.   

Get an UCE engined bike if possible,  19 or 18 inch rims really won't make that much of a difference in performance when hooked to a rig. I would go with the old style 19" speedmaster on the rear as those things are already square and last a good long time.  I personally would go with a B5 for the looks and rubber.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 07:40:16 pm
Br. Garbone.

Would the "less rake" of the C5's forks make for a better rig than the B5? I may be wrong, often am, but I thought that the G and B5 were a bit longer than the C5, in particular the C5 rake angle was less.  ???

love,
Hackless in Oklahoma  ;)

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 07:57:40 pm
I think the C5 takes an adapter dodad that drives up the cost a few $100 also.   I don't remember about rake but do recall it being important.   

Here is a good thread on it..

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?s=7d2f3cb77bfd3f7c1becf1e1442503fe&t=468196

I would consider the steering force on the B5 (same chassis as my bike) to be heavy at about 15mph to 25mph or so.  Lower speeds it is not an issue and at higher speed you chance rolling the rig over if you turn too sharp anyway.     Wider bars and shifting your body weight help a great deal.

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

dynamyt

• So many bikes, so little time!!
  • Scooter
  • I'd rather ride in thunder storms than go to work!
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 12:19:48 pm
I have a Bulllet G5 with the inder side car set up from the dealer. This is my first side hack rig so I do not have much experience, but I love it. I've tweeked the set up just a little and it handles great at speeds up to 55mph. I'm not certain of my gas mileage, but it seems I hardly ever fill the tank. I usually have my son as the ballast, and at about 40lbs, that's not much. It handles even better with my wife and him as ballast. I would recommend a 50lb bag of sand in the bottom if you're going alone.
Ride Fast, Take Chances
Everywhere I go, there I am...

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 03:30:16 pm
2009 G5 with Euro Cozy and 0 to 60 lb of dog or cargo in tub gives top speed of not much above 55 mph.  At 50 to 55 mph I get tank avg of 50 - 55 mpg.  If most of the tank is at speeds of 40 - 45 it comes up to 60 - 65 mpg.  Higher tire pressure may increase top speed, but at the cost of more tire wear in center.  The adaptor kit sold for the G-5 is poor quality and will block use of kickstarter.  I found it easy to make my own which is stronger and does not block KS or change original rider foot peg.  It does delete folding passenger foot peg.  I used that mounting point for a stronger sidecar mount.  GA-DK

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 01:47:06 am
In my experience with many different types of hacks  Urals, Yamaha 650/Velorex, old '75 Goldwing/Velorex, HD Nightster/Cozy -

To do it right and get the best driveability - you will need to have the correct lean-out and toe-in adjustments for your particular rig.
In my experience, that is essential.

Further, you have to have the sidecar mounting system robust enough that it allows you to secure it into that correct lean-out and toe-in - and hold it here. And even then, expect occasional tweaking/correction.

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 04:45:19 pm
My custom mounts are very strong and stable.  have never needed to adjust for movement.  Set up with Cozy suggested toe-in (same as BMW recommendations), but almost no lean-out without rider.  Weight of rider gives almost the recommended lean-out, but not quite.  At constant speed of 40 - 45 mph there is very slight pull to right.  On breaking, there is a similar pull to left.  Note, Cozy has no brake.  I find this to be a comfortable compromise.  GA-DK

AwL

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 04:00:37 am
Checked MPG today and getting 50 mpg with sidecar attached.  That's local riding, mostly w/160 lb. passenger.  Cruises at 55 mph in 5th gear, though even small hills require downshift to 4th.  Sometimes i don't go to 5th for the 6 miles to town as 45-55mph seems to be good range for 4th gear with multiple small hills.  Al

OkieEnfield

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 10:10:28 pm
Hey! Speaking of Ural. Looks like they went EFI for 2014

MrMike

• Bulleteer
  • ASA Lives!
Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 02:24:53 am
rabbit 7

I have a 2011 G5 with Kozy Rocket car and I love it!  Guess I got a goodun.  I started a thread here to talk about it.  Take a look, it might help.  Performance wise, guess I'm really lucky.  With the UCE in the G5, I am getting 62.3 MPG with the car attached.  I only run non-ethanol gas.  That may help (?).  With the car on and no passenger, I have cruised at 65 MPH for about 20 miles but I did not like the feel.  She is a lot of fun at 55 to 60.  Have put over 3,600 miles on it in less than a year and would gladly go out and buy another similar rig.  The rig has 19 inch wheels all around and once I got the car balanced, I have not had trouble with uneven tire wear.  It does eat tires though.  I'm getting ready to order a full set.  Looking seriously at the Heidenau tires from Germany.  Got one for the car on the other rig I'm putting together and it looks really good and comes highly recommended. 

However, I want to carry wife and daughter and the G5 just does not have the guts to cruise the interstate.  Have carried three cruising the coast and in town and it does well up to 50 or so.  The other rig I'm putting together is a Yamaha V-Star 1100 and a Velorx car.  But, if I could only keep one, it would be the Enfield.  This thing is a show stopper everywhere I go.   

2011 G5 Deluxe w/Kozi Rocket
2009 V-Star 950 Tourer w/Velorex 562
1999 Honda VT 1100 T w/Dauntless Tandem

waldopic

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 12:20:30 am
Hi MrMike, I am new to the forum.  Just purchased an Inder sidecar to mount on my 2012 military c5.  It came with zero mounting instructions.  Found some help online but what I really need is to see a mounted rig.  Do you have a couple of photos that show the mounting and hardware.  If you could post them that would be a great help.
Thanks in advance.
Waldo

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2014, 02:58:03 pm
You are getting pretty good advice here. The Cozy, Kozi, Inder are all good matches for the RE. The speeds are reduced as noted here. I would agree that the UCE is your best bet. In service it has proved to be a wonderful engine. I'm not sure that you could overheat it. Having said that we have sold hundreds of sidecars to Iron Barrel customers with good results.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com