Author Topic: Finally got my pipe.....for the bike.  (Read 4886 times)

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
on: February 17, 2012, 03:52:09 am
 ;D Well, for such a small thing, it took along time for it to happen. First I went to my local dealer, pointed out the EFI in the parts book, said I want this one. Dealer said "okie dokie, Okie"

Waiting , waiting , waiting.........

Get a call almost a month later, dealer said "hey pipes in"
I say "yeah!" and head right over.

Wrong pipe. They sent the upswept, dealer only special instead, almost 3 times the cost. Sticker shock forces me to turn it down. Advised dealer still wanna get EFI..he says "okie dokie Okie."

Waiting, waiting..........three months.

Finally, go to dealer. Say, "Hey! U still got that pipe they sent....you know the one I didnt order?"

Dealer says, "Yup."

Okie says bashfully, "Need Pipe Now, Tired of putter putter putter, Need THUMP THUMP NOW!"

260 bucks later me and pipe head home. No issues with the install. PIPE IS LOUD.

At idle, is not a neighbor hater. When I get on it though totally different. Now am finding myself backing off the throttle when I pass our boys in blue(uniform is black).

Low end seems more responsive, quicker to run up the power band.
Shifting has definitely changed, merging on to highway was doing a hair under RE 70mph before I shifted into 5th.

5th gear......seems like shes running a tad rich in the upper end..   

Now if I can just get that K&N filter without having to wait 3 or 4 months should have Alison where I want her.  ;D

Side note....Have been running the bike with new upswept for little over 2 weeks, did a 150 mile run to check the feel. Some issues already with the chrome. Is starting to look flakey around the silencer..... :-\

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 05:36:00 am
Mine a 2010 Indian C5, used to back fire a lot initially (loud like a gun),
but gradually the ECU has tuned itself, such that there is only an
occassional muted backfire, just to remind me of what I am riding !!

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 01:47:10 pm
Yeah, the Indian chrome is not the best I'v ever seen.

I figure that when the warranty is up and I have a reason to take parts off I will take them to a real chrome shop and get 'em smooth and shiny.

I can wait though and just keep polishing polishing polishing.

My backfiring has reduced itself to occasional after running my EFI for a few months.

Caseman
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 04:37:35 pm
A little backfiring when im backing off the throttle and running down the gears but no "Gunshots" yet. Rode into to work today and during the warm up in the driveway noticed a tinny racket from the area of the exhaust..  :-[ checked the bolts, all appear ok, my bike has always been one of those noisy top enders. Maybe that the noise is slightly amplified with the more open exhaust and cold weather...was about 34F this morning. BRISK!  ;D

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:54:29 pm
Photo!
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:25:23 pm
might be awhile on that one boggy. I aint one what knows howta work all these newfangled gagets and such! Heck, us dumb Okies ken hardly cipher!   ::)

Still cant figure out why deleting cookies makes my cumpooter faster. ??? Personally, the more cookies i get, the faster i go.  ::)

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 08:02:42 pm
update- started raining a little bit on the ride home, nothing bad but a nice misty drizzle that does not hurt when it smacks yer face.

Tinney noise is still there, infact seems to have gotten worse, went back over all bolts, checked brake pedal wasnt vibrating agains bottom of pipe. Actually sounds like the silencer has a loose bit of ??? in it. Maybe a screw or part of the baffling has gotten in there. Gonna pull her back off and see if I can figure it out.

Dont hear it while riding thou!..

I am thinking now that the sound she make is not quite a "thump" and not quite a "blatt"
A "Blamp?" maybe.  ;)

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:26:44 am
Hi Okie,

I got the same tinny sound too... checked all bolts, exhaust connections .... etc... Put it down to the inner header pipe vibrating against the outer header pipe.... I think they loosen up over time and start vibrating making that tinny sound.

Nothing I can do bout it beside getting a new header pipe... but I thought, it's still works perfectly and I just put up with it.

Doesn't happen when on the move though, only when idling standing still.

Cheers
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 05:21:24 pm
Hey Guys,
      I just had some parts chrome plated for my Enfield by a very high quality outfit that plates for high-end show cars and bikes. I learned the difference between " cheap chrome " and high quality chrome. The quality stuff is highly polished and COPPER plated first,  before the chrome plating. The cheap stuff does not get copper plated.....that's why it only looks good for awhile. Yes, it costs more, but in the end, it's worth it.

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 01:07:37 pm
Triple chrome is the best..Nickel then Copper then Chrome.

What did you have done and how much did it cost?

I have a bib pile of parts to get chromed, and I'm trying to determine a budget number.
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 01:02:52 am
Hello TCP
        I have a 2010 G5 Deluxe. I swapped out the stock front fender for the Electra fender, which was only available in black. It cost me $ 120.00 for stripping and chrome plate. It cost way more than the fender, but it's beautiful ! The second items I had plated were the saddlebag brackets for the G5 and Electra, which again, were only available in black. Are you ready for this ? It cost me $ 250.00 for the two of them !! WAY more than the cost of the part........but, they are beautiful when the saddlebags are off, and hidden when they're on......Oh well ! I know the cost is way to much, but I also know that it will last for years to come. I plan on keeping my Enfield forever, so to me, it's a good investment. I'm sure I'll hear how stupid I was........but, Oh well !!

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 05:17:00 am
I don't plan on getting rid of my C5 either.

After all, I held on to two old non running Triumphs for 30 odd years.

The cost of the chrome work is scary high, but as you said worth it.

I had best start doing a piece or two at a time to ease the pain.

I hear prices on chrome are up because of environmentalists complaining about fumes from the process and governmental regulations on the plating industry.

The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 04:44:39 pm
Wasnt trying to turn this thread into a rant, BUT CRAP!....that "tinney noise" wasnt a nut or screw or sumpin, THE WHOLE DARNED INSIDES SEPERATED! >:(.....

Took the pipe off on Saturday and the entire baffling on the insides is loose...now I have a 260 dollars maraca. :-\

Takin it back to the dealer to see if they can take it back at lunch....

I put about 150 miles on it...probably 30 since i started hearing the rattle...put the torpedo back on... this sux  :-[

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 04:48:54 pm
Okie,

When did you hear the rattle?  Was it constant or just going over bumps.

I have a mystery rattle myself that I can't seem to reproduce when not in motion.

Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 06:06:57 pm
Didnt notice the noise till after I did my 100 miles after fitting it on. Believe that after heating the pipe up for the first time, it then cooled, the spot welds broke holding the baffling, and then the rattle. First time I noticed it was the first time I started it up after that ride, while idling you could hear a "tinney, rattle buzzzzz" comming from the exhaust. Pulled the pipe and low and behold!

Dealer took a look at it an hour ago and came to the same conclusion I did, enternal spot welds cracked.
 >:(
He is ordering a replacement  ;D