Author Topic: My Unique 350 Military...  (Read 26637 times)

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 09:09:59 am
Our local REOC chap has a couple of calls a month asking if anyone wants a genuine early bike.

I had a look on my phone and found a couple of pics of mine. It is alleged to be a one owner from new 350 Indian. It's been dated as a 1979, by the REOC.

It blew the head garket late last year and following the advice of the Bullet Whisperer and others here in the UK I've modded it slightly. I have had the cylinder skimmed of 2.5mm and lapped in the head so I can dispence with the head garket.

I'm trying to make it more efficient, rather than trying to turn her into some rocket to compete with a Japanses sports bike.

She was VERY cheap and produces stupid grins every time I see her, never mind riding her!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:02:59 am by Lwt Big Cheese »
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 03:00:49 pm
lwt  big cheese: your bike looks likes its a daily driver and I get that same  stupid smile every time I look at my bike too...Huge Bladder has a great looking machine and at first glance I was skeptical.  If it  was registered when brought into the country then plausabile denial would be less of a issue...I like the overall paint scheme but the black on the smaller parts look a bit spray can (a moot point for some )...Either way its a sweet Enfield and I was glad to get a glimpse of heritage...By the way, I get a kick out of your hodge podge writing..It keeps one on their toes .. ::)
Oh Magoo you done it again

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 05:27:50 pm
Thanks for your response,
Yeah I'm not sure if it was ever repainted. I actually spent allot of time in India for Business over the last several years and the color of my 350 is identical to the color used by their military. Regardless it is very cool and I am debating if I should keep her stock or tweak her out before I try and get a buzz on the auction scene to sell her off.
Happy trails...
Hugh

This is certainly not the color of the current Indian Army bullets. I know it is not because I have seen many of those, even rode one of those. 

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 12:40:14 am
In 1963 the UK Bullet was unitized with transmission so they really look different. After Major Walker Smith died in 1964, the company  was basically going to have to be sold off. The Bullet remained in production long enough to make the 1965 model year but that was about the end of it.

The non-unit Bullets, 350s and 500s, were discontinued in '62. There was a new Clipper in 1960 that was actually a cut rate non-unit Bullet which was also discontinued in '62. There was a "New Bullet 350" with the unit construction Crusader engine that replaces the discontinued Bullet and Clipper. That one made it to '65.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Hughbruder

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 02:11:18 am
Great stuff guys...

Hey Big cheese...Would love to share a pint, but have to admit the bladder is not what it used to be :):) I was stationed in the Cotswalds back in the day and love the UK, whereabouts do you live? by the way I heard ZZ top is looking for a new bass player,lol...Thanks for sharing pics of your bike.

:)

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 08:11:18 am
I'm 24 miles north of Enfield!

The pic are rough as they from my phone, only ones available from work place.

Where in the Cotswolds?
May contain nuts.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 09:32:12 am

She was VERY cheap and produces stupid grins every time I see her, never mind riding her!

+1 on the stupid grins,Brother...describes every one of my Enfields,as well as my reaction every time I look at them... ;D...your Bullet is lovely,as well...love the last pic,in front of an English cottage,in the countryside..."B" roads are what the Bullet was MADE FOR...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Hughbruder

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 01:10:39 pm
Spent some time at both RAF Fairford and RAF Little Rissington...

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 07:03:09 pm
I was out of the mob by then, but I was working in Swindon and staying near Fairford when then B-52's were being preped for the Gulf War II.

I used my ex-RAF Lightweight Landrover to drive over grass to get passed the police barriers to get a better view - but I got caught and sent on my way by the police. lol

The Lightweight was in airfield yellow at the time. Hence the Lightweight, Big Cheese used as my moniker.

I guess I'll need to find more pics.

Found one pic just quickly. his one isn't mine. I found this on the web:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:27:56 pm by Lwt Big Cheese »
May contain nuts.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 07:44:45 pm
Spent two years at RAF Croughton...A stones throw to stowe in the Wold  :P
Oh Magoo you done it again

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 07:56:41 pm
Good grief. Small world.
May contain nuts.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 01:58:01 pm
Just started her up. No reason. It's cold here and starting to rain.

But decided to go round the block anyway. ;D

Took a couple more pics ans you can't get the feel of her from the long shots.

Notice how nothing matches. Not the bar grips, not the handlebar levers, not the... well you get the picture.

Also the lovely chrome finish. Particularly on the rims  ;)

May contain nuts.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 02:00:04 pm
And:
May contain nuts.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 10:13:32 pm
LBC
I think that is an example of what we in the US describe as........uh.........mmmmm..........uhaaaaaaa............CHARACTER!

YAH!  THAT"S what it has.......CHARACTER!.  ;)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 10:48:31 pm
My old Ford maverick has alot of character too. Enuf that you had to watch out or your feet would break through the "character" on the floor board and youd find yourself flintstonin!  :D

Both bikes are beautifull in their own ways. Good luck on the restoration job ahead LWT and good luck with the authintication Hugh ;)