Author Topic: A good weekend for the 350 Clipper racer  (Read 2334 times)

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
on: July 06, 2014, 07:47:47 pm
I didn't attend this weekend's race meeting at Lydden Hill [U.K.], but my Brother, Ian [Henchy] went with my Father and took the 350 Clipper racer and a couple of Ducati 250's which we are developing for their owner.
 Early feedback I received on the first morning of this 2 day event didn't seem too encouraging - a 4th place for the 350 with some new fork springs we fitted turning out to be too soft and loads of missed gears for some reason. The main [fastest] Ducati was spluttering, banging and popping by all accounts, too. so not very promising.
 Later that day, news came in that the fork springs had been jacked up with spacers and longer preload adjusting bolts and a more relaxed approach to gear changing resulted in a 2nd place. This was very good news, as the 350 had scored its' only podium finish in a couple of years [3rd] at Mallory Park a few weeks ago, breaking a run of mid field positions at best for the two years prior to that, due to pre ignition troubles we only recently managed to shake off.
 Then, today that little Enfield did something it hasn't done in quite a few years - it WON each of the two 350 races run today !!
 The 350 Clipper is back with a vengeance  ;D
  Ace - I wonder if the engine heard us talking in the workshop about the 'Killer 350' engine that is in the pipeline and decided to get its' finger out  ;)
 No shots of the action yet, but hopefully add some soon.
 For anyone interested, the Ducati came good as well, coming up from midfield yesterday to take 2nd and 1st places today.
 B.W.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 10:39:24 pm by Bullet Whisperer »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 08:06:19 pm
Fantastic!  I always love hearing your race reports.  :)

As far as those missed shifts, it seems like on the Blackhawk that if I make slow firm shifts I have a lot less missed shifts.  Every time I try to shift it like a sport bike I miss gears and get false neutrals.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 10:33:28 pm
Well, congratulations!
Things are looking up for the 350. Maybe it did overhear the conversation!

Glad to hear about these winning results.
Please give Ian and Dave my congratulations and regards too!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 10:48:12 pm
Well, congratulations!
Things are looking up for the 350. Maybe it did overhear the conversation!

Glad to hear about these winning results.
Please give Ian and Dave my congratulations and regards too!
Thanks, Ace! Will do !!
 B.W.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 02:14:35 am
Then, today that little Enfield did something it hasn't done in quite a few years - it WON each of the two 350 races run today !!

Congrats!  This is very good news.  Cant wait to hear what the 500 does once back together. ;D
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 07:58:18 am
Congrats!  This is very good news.  Cant wait to hear what the 500 does once back together. ;D
Thanks, Dan!
 Regarding the 500 comment - you're not the only one  ;)
 B.W.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 08:01:46 am
Fantastic!  I always love hearing your race reports.  :)

As far as those missed shifts, it seems like on the Blackhawk that if I make slow firm shifts I have a lot less missed shifts.  Every time I try to shift it like a sport bike I miss gears and get false neutrals.

Scottie J
Hi Scottie and thanks!
 The 350 uses the controversial [in vintage racing here] 5 speed box, which is usually pretty reliable. Once Henchy changed his gear shifting technique, his troubles went away, so perhaps it was nerves or something?
 B.W.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 01:28:05 pm
Hi Scottie and thanks!
 The 350 uses the controversial [in vintage racing here] 5 speed box, which is usually pretty reliable. Once Henchy changed his gear shifting technique, his troubles went away, so perhaps it was nerves or something?
 B.W.

Oh ok!  Very well could be nerves.  Seems like every time it happens to me is when playing around racing my friends on their Jap bikes and Harleys.   ;D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AVL Power!

• Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 07:52:15 am
Congrats Paul! Now that's a Real Asbo!  8)