Author Topic: My Unique 350 Military...  (Read 26662 times)

Hughbruder

• Scooter
on: February 12, 2012, 01:50:53 pm
Greetings fellow Royal Enfield lovers...
This rare 1983 gem with 16 original miles was a barn find in South Florida. The bikes serial number can be traced back to being part of the Indian Military, and made its way to the US via Mexico. It was purchased by a wealthy Mexican business owner who traveled to India and purchased 10 rare bikes. When he passed away he gave them away to family members. One of those family members emigrated to the US and the bike wound up collecting dust for many years in a barn. This is truly  a unique and rare 350, I hope you all enjoy the pics...
Hugh
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:56:43 pm by Hughbruder »

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 02:32:36 pm
Nice find.   

Looks like someone did a pretty decent job painting that beast.    I would hazard to guess that the speedo is the only thing with only 13 miles on it with that rig.  From the worn look of the fasteners and scuffs on the metal and paint as well as the grime on the oil filter housing that bike seems to have a few miles.

Don't get me wrong.  Its a beut.  I like the old style side stand, bars and how the key is on the right tool box. It has a lot of the features my 95 had when I got it.

Makes me wonder that year they added the oil catch can under the battery? Mine had one yours does not.  Maybe they did not put them on domestic bike..  Hmmm..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Hughbruder

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:43:37 pm
Thanks for your response,
Yeah I'm not sure if it was ever repainted. I actually spent allot of time in India for Business over the last several years and the color of my 350 is identical to the color used by their military. Regardless it is very cool and I am debating if I should keep her stock or tweak her out before I try and get a buzz on the auction scene to sell her off.
Happy trails...
Hugh

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 11:35:09 am
This is truly  a unique and rare 350,

Er... it's history may be unique, but I believe the Indian army may have had more than one 350.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Hughbruder

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 02:08:58 pm
Thank you for stating the obvious...

The point is, that a vintage bikes intrinsic value is and can be heavily based on the story behind the bike as well as its origin. The rarity applies due to the fact that I am sure you would be hard pressed to find a 30 year old authentic military version with such low mileage anywhere in North America, as was indicated to me by several prominent collectors.

I guess every forum has to have members that enjoy posting sarcastic and negative comments :( :(

Thank you,

Hugh

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 02:58:09 pm
I wasn't being sarcastic nor negative. It was you that claimed it was unique. Which it clearly isn't. You misrepresented it. Which isn't big nor clever.

There are others on here too.
May contain nuts.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 04:31:18 am
That is a neat motorcycle! 

I know next to nothing about the colors used on a 1983 Indian Military motorcycle but I find it interesting that it is almost a "Desert Storm" tan color.
The interesting part comes from the fact that the Indian Government prohibits Royal Enfield from selling the Olive Green "Military" color in India because it is the same color that the Indian Military is using on their motorcycles.  At least that's what I've been told.

The new "Desert Storm" tan Royal Enfields are all the rage now over there and if this 1983 model color is representative of what their military used back then it would appear they have gone full circle.

Perhaps I'm wrong but I suspect that any 1983 Royal Enfield in the USA is both unique and rare.  I don't believe anyone was importing RE's to this country then.

As to whether this adds to its monetary value, that is another subject.

A collector of foreign military equipment might be interested in it so they might be willing to spend more for it?
I don't think the motorcycles journeys from India to Mexico to Florida would add much value although that sort of history is always interesting to any buyer.

Thank you for showing your bike. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Hughbruder

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:22:20 pm
Wow,

Now that's what I call a well written, thought out and respectful respone...

Thank you for taking the time to appreciate a cool bike. I can tell you that I have been to India three times last year on business, and you see allot of Military dudes riding around on RE's, and the color seems to be identical, keeping in mind of course that the bike has sat for the better part of the last 30 years in a Barn.

I have actually turned down a pretty penny for the bike cuz I think its to cool to give up for now. I have taken the bike to a few shows and its been a blast sharing stories and watching the buzz that this little Bullet creates when its out in the public eye. 

I am glad to see that at least the majority of you appreciate this unique bike. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and its refreshing when members can share their views in a constructive and kind manner.

:) :)

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:19:53 pm
Majority? I said it's not unique and you took unbridge and another pointed out that the only thing of 13 miles is the speedo.

One other person says there isn't much merit in a bike via Mexico and you comeover all gushing.

It's a nice bike. AgentX's bike is just as good. Mine's more unique though (sic). It looks very similar, but hasn't all that green paint on it.

I like you. You're funny. Please stay a while.
May contain nuts.

Hughbruder

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 02:23:31 pm
Would love to see your bike any pics on the forum...

:)

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 07:09:44 pm
Some of the folks who frequent this sight do so to either ask questions about the machines or answer them and that includes all Royal Enfields whether UK built or India built. Personally, I've seen quite a few bikes that were built in India being misrepresented as comeing out of the factory at Redditch in the UK so you can see the sceptisism some may have when claims are made about authenticity, year of manufacture, or place of manufacture. My knowledge is mostly from the UK built machines since they evolved over the years and had quite a few changes that can identify them. The Indian manufactured machines, up until the recent years were largely patterned after the 1955 350 Bullet manufactured in the UK. When manufacturing started in India, there were more than just a few things made differently due to the limited capability present in India at the time. The Indian made machines evolved differently due to this so its a little easier to tell where they came from.

There is a lot of room for disagreement when trying to authenticate the Indian made machines since their serialization is kind of a mystery here in the USA. A person can say a machine was built in 1957 in India and there is likely no way you could tell whether the information is correct or not. I certainly can't.

They are a motorcycle and look pretty much like the 1955 UK Bullet which gives them a nod in the direction of being a Classic design. So the consensus is that they aren't bad looking bikes all in all. As far a rare and unique I guess that is just how a person feels about the bikes heritage and the quality of it's manufacture. There is nothing wrong about being proud of a person's own possessions. Someone else may have different experiences and have a completely differing opinion.

I can see a lot of items on that machine that say 1980s or 1990s so my sceptisism is present. Looks good though.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 07:24:14 pm by rotorwrench »

Hughbruder

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 08:01:29 pm
Thanks for your post...

I agree with your comments... Its funny when I purchsed the Bike I was also a bit skeptical, so I called Royal Enfield in India and they admitted that before 1985 the records are very sketchy cuz they didnt move completely to India until 1986, however; based on the serial number it appears to them that it was Indian made, he also stated that to his knowledget all models for military use were made in India that year and based on the set up was not a civillian model.

Guess it will be hard to get  true and authenticated information, but I will keep trying cuz it is a cool bike...

rotorwrench

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 12:13:55 am
All I know from sketchy history of the time was that Royal Enfield in Redditch, UK sold them license to build the bikes in 1955 so that they wouldn't get backlogged on UK home front sales. The first units were knock down machines that were crated and shipped to India to be assembled & used by the Military. Once they had the capability to manufacture the parts in India, they no longer needed the parts from the UK. In 1956 Royal Enfield UK redesigned the frames so the UK counterparts started to change their looks shortly after the license was sold. There became a point in time where nothing on the Bullet was even similar to the Indian made product just due to this manufacturing & styling deviation. In 1963 the UK Bullet was unitized with transmission so they really look different. After Major Walker Smith died in 1964, the company  was basically going to have to be sold off. The Bullet remained in production long enough to make the 1965 model year but that was about the end of it. The other singles were gone by the end of 1966.

With this knowledge, a person can pretty well figure that the bikes built in India were completly Indian by the late 50s. When they started selling them to civilians is a question I'd like to know. They started exporting them to other countries in the mid to late 1980s. I can remember seeing adds for them in Classic Bike and other rags in that time frame.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:20:16 am by rotorwrench »

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 02:17:58 am
She's quite lovely,and I'd be proud to ride her,no matter when,or where,she was born,nor how many miles are on her clock...thanks for sharing! ;)
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 08:07:44 am
Great input guys.

But there was no malace intended or incredulity of the providence.

I'm sure it is what was stated, but there are others - albeit maybe not in the States.

Pity we're not closer as I'd like to buy the man a pint and see if he lives upto his monicker "HugeBladder".

"Group Hug"  :-*
May contain nuts.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 09:09:59 am
Our local REOC chap has a couple of calls a month asking if anyone wants a genuine early bike.

I had a look on my phone and found a couple of pics of mine. It is alleged to be a one owner from new 350 Indian. It's been dated as a 1979, by the REOC.

It blew the head garket late last year and following the advice of the Bullet Whisperer and others here in the UK I've modded it slightly. I have had the cylinder skimmed of 2.5mm and lapped in the head so I can dispence with the head garket.

I'm trying to make it more efficient, rather than trying to turn her into some rocket to compete with a Japanses sports bike.

She was VERY cheap and produces stupid grins every time I see her, never mind riding her!

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 10:02:59 am by Lwt Big Cheese »
May contain nuts.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 15, 2012, 03:00:49 pm
lwt  big cheese: your bike looks likes its a daily driver and I get that same  stupid smile every time I look at my bike too...Huge Bladder has a great looking machine and at first glance I was skeptical.  If it  was registered when brought into the country then plausabile denial would be less of a issue...I like the overall paint scheme but the black on the smaller parts look a bit spray can (a moot point for some )...Either way its a sweet Enfield and I was glad to get a glimpse of heritage...By the way, I get a kick out of your hodge podge writing..It keeps one on their toes .. ::)
Oh Magoo you done it again

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 05:27:50 pm
Thanks for your response,
Yeah I'm not sure if it was ever repainted. I actually spent allot of time in India for Business over the last several years and the color of my 350 is identical to the color used by their military. Regardless it is very cool and I am debating if I should keep her stock or tweak her out before I try and get a buzz on the auction scene to sell her off.
Happy trails...
Hugh

This is certainly not the color of the current Indian Army bullets. I know it is not because I have seen many of those, even rode one of those. 

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 12:40:14 am
In 1963 the UK Bullet was unitized with transmission so they really look different. After Major Walker Smith died in 1964, the company  was basically going to have to be sold off. The Bullet remained in production long enough to make the 1965 model year but that was about the end of it.

The non-unit Bullets, 350s and 500s, were discontinued in '62. There was a new Clipper in 1960 that was actually a cut rate non-unit Bullet which was also discontinued in '62. There was a "New Bullet 350" with the unit construction Crusader engine that replaces the discontinued Bullet and Clipper. That one made it to '65.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Hughbruder

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 02:11:18 am
Great stuff guys...

Hey Big cheese...Would love to share a pint, but have to admit the bladder is not what it used to be :):) I was stationed in the Cotswalds back in the day and love the UK, whereabouts do you live? by the way I heard ZZ top is looking for a new bass player,lol...Thanks for sharing pics of your bike.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 08:11:18 am
I'm 24 miles north of Enfield!

The pic are rough as they from my phone, only ones available from work place.

Where in the Cotswolds?
May contain nuts.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 09:32:12 am

She was VERY cheap and produces stupid grins every time I see her, never mind riding her!

+1 on the stupid grins,Brother...describes every one of my Enfields,as well as my reaction every time I look at them... ;D...your Bullet is lovely,as well...love the last pic,in front of an English cottage,in the countryside..."B" roads are what the Bullet was MADE FOR...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Hughbruder

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 01:10:39 pm
Spent some time at both RAF Fairford and RAF Little Rissington...

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 07:03:09 pm
I was out of the mob by then, but I was working in Swindon and staying near Fairford when then B-52's were being preped for the Gulf War II.

I used my ex-RAF Lightweight Landrover to drive over grass to get passed the police barriers to get a better view - but I got caught and sent on my way by the police. lol

The Lightweight was in airfield yellow at the time. Hence the Lightweight, Big Cheese used as my moniker.

I guess I'll need to find more pics.

Found one pic just quickly. his one isn't mine. I found this on the web:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 07:27:56 pm by Lwt Big Cheese »
May contain nuts.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 07:44:45 pm
Spent two years at RAF Croughton...A stones throw to stowe in the Wold  :P

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 07:56:41 pm
Good grief. Small world.
May contain nuts.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 01:58:01 pm
Just started her up. No reason. It's cold here and starting to rain.

But decided to go round the block anyway. ;D

Took a couple more pics ans you can't get the feel of her from the long shots.

Notice how nothing matches. Not the bar grips, not the handlebar levers, not the... well you get the picture.

Also the lovely chrome finish. Particularly on the rims  ;)

May contain nuts.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 02:00:04 pm
And:
May contain nuts.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 10:13:32 pm
LBC
I think that is an example of what we in the US describe as........uh.........mmmmm..........uhaaaaaaa............CHARACTER!

YAH!  THAT"S what it has.......CHARACTER!.  ;)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 10:48:31 pm
My old Ford maverick has alot of character too. Enuf that you had to watch out or your feet would break through the "character" on the floor board and youd find yourself flintstonin!  :D

Both bikes are beautifull in their own ways. Good luck on the restoration job ahead LWT and good luck with the authintication Hugh ;)

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 06:56:42 pm
Restoration!!!!  >:(

Bugger off!

Everyone either has a shiny new or shine old Enfield. Mines unique! No on we else has one with such character! It's a one owner from new 33 year old bike who else can say that?

I love Huge Bladders bike - and I love mine too! I was at the Ace Cafe today. There was a load of "Adventure" bikes there. Whilst many were the genuine article many were wannabe tourers. You know, the type that own a Rolex divers watch but never seen the sea!

Restoration by replacement is NOT the way to go for me.

;D ;D ;D
May contain nuts.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:12 am
33 years with your enfield says alot... i like the Patina look too....you know u starting to sound like Foggy Dewhurst... ;D

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 08:52:35 am
Whoa I've misled you!

I'm the second owner!!!!

LOL
May contain nuts.

elan

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: February 21, 2012, 11:26:09 am
Here is my military 350 (genuine), please note the top of the toolbox where there is provision for a padlock, also the shape of the rear mudguard carrier at the bottom where it kinks past the rear shock. If it aint got these features then it aint Indian military.

[imghttp://i790.photobucket.com/albums/yy183/elan23/bull.jpg][/img]

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 03:14:27 pm
elan: very nice...I see what u mean about the rear mudguard carrier...yeah I do remember seeing the military guys riding those all around India 20 years ago.....It must be the actual color (olive drab) or whatever its call it that confirms your statement....Again. I like it alot......Good luck with it .

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 03:28:17 pm
Look at those deep mud guards.
May contain nuts.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 03:46:39 pm
So, has anyone figured out what holds the swingarm on? ???Look carefully at pic number 1.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:54:15 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 05:09:29 pm
Yikes,   might be a bit loose in the rear me thinks..
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 09:46:02 am
Good catch, definately need to fix that swingarm mount, What year did they start using the twin leading shoe front brake? my '94 came from India with a SLS....

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 10:01:37 am
SLS? Mines a half width drum!
May contain nuts.

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 10:26:52 am
Mine had a full width hub, 1/2 width 6" single leading shoe setup, I have since converted to the 7" TLS design that I though came out in 2002, but notice that his '80's 350 has them

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 12:46:06 pm
Mine had a full width hub, 1/2 width 6" single leading shoe setup, I have since converted to the 7" TLS design that I though came out in 2002, but notice that his '80's 350 has them

I don't know when the home market started using the 7" TLS design but all the ones imported into the US starting in 95 had it.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 04:51:48 pm
Oh and half width rear too.

I do have a lightened mudguard( although they are the deep i.e. very heavy ones!):

May contain nuts.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: February 27, 2012, 12:08:56 am
Nothing like a few lightning holes to increase performance, I say. :D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #44 on: February 27, 2012, 03:00:30 am
All RE's that were legitimately imported into the US use the Twin LS brake
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 06:03:43 pm
So where's Huge Bladder gone?
May contain nuts.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: March 13, 2012, 11:14:56 pm
Possibly to relieve himself?

If it truly is huge, this might take a while.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: March 13, 2012, 11:21:42 pm
Took the bike for a ride and the swing arm fell off.  Has not been seen or heard from since.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: March 14, 2012, 07:49:50 am
Shame. I liked the bike. Despite being as common as muck.
May contain nuts.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: March 14, 2012, 05:57:34 pm
With this knowledge, a person can pretty well figure that the bikes built in India were completly Indian by the late 50s. When they started selling them to civilians is a question I'd like to know. They started exporting them to other countries in the mid to late 1980s. I can remember seeing adds for them in Classic Bike and other rags in that time frame.

The contract for the Indian Army models was originally signed in 1954 and had the Enfield so busy, they were on a 24/7 schedule. They decided the Indians could do their own thing and worked out a deal in 1956 for the Indians to build the bikes. The Indians finally got all the tooling, etc, in place by 1962, after assembling complete kits from England, then working up to only needing engines from Jolly Olde, then complete machines started coming off the line in 1962. They started selling to the public in about 1975, then exports started in 1977 to England and the Continent.
The 500 version was introduced in 1989. Then the US got interested and started slowly importing in 1990. Kevin took over the operations in 1995.
Contrary to some peoples' belief, no other models of Royal Enfield were ever built by the Madras factory. The 350 was it until they developed their own 500.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #50 on: March 14, 2012, 07:31:51 pm
Took the bike for a ride and the swing arm fell off.  Has not been seen or heard from since.
It looked to me as though the only thing holding the arm on was the chain. Odd that he was not really aware of it. Most hospitals have internet, right?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

elan

• Scooter
Reply #51 on: March 15, 2012, 12:41:38 am

Contrary to some peoples' belief, no other models of Royal Enfield were ever built by the Madras factory. The 350 was it until they developed their own 500.

The following were built by Enfield at the Madras plant: Mini Bullet, Explorer,  Silver Plus, Fury, Mofa, Taurus diesel, and Prince.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 01:08:59 am by elan »

Hughbruder

• Scooter
Reply #52 on: July 22, 2012, 05:07:17 pm
Greetings all,.
long absence from the scene...in response to
The following were built by Enfield at the Madras plant: Mini Bullet, Explorer,  Silver Plus, Fury, Mofa, Taurus diesel, and Prince.
Very Interesting facts. What I find puzzling then is the fact that when I contacted Royal Enfield in India they informed me that the Bikes serial number was in fact a bike that was built in India for the Indian Military.
Hugh

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: July 22, 2012, 05:21:00 pm
Very nice.

Have you fixed your swingarm?
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: July 25, 2012, 07:37:12 am
The following were built by Enfield at the Madras plant: Mini Bullet, Explorer,  Silver Plus, Fury, Mofa, Taurus diesel, and Prince.

The Mini Bullet with the two stroke Villiers was an interesting exercise. Actually for a 70's bike quite respectable as well.

The Silver Plus was OK if you like step thru's I suppose.

The Mofa was just odd :D

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #55 on: July 27, 2012, 02:57:33 am
Great input guys.

But there was no malace intended or incredulity of the providence.
"Group Hug"  :-*

Malice/provenance ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #56 on: July 27, 2012, 03:14:03 am

I had a look on my phone and found a couple of pics of mine. It is alleged to be a one owner from new 350 Indian. It's been dated as a 1979, by the REOC.

Those pictures are just SO! English. They're great! I expect Ogri to come blasting up any second  ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: July 27, 2012, 06:08:36 am
           Malice/provenance ;)

You want, wit, charm, good looks AND speeling?   (sic)
May contain nuts.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: July 31, 2012, 02:18:57 pm
bonne chance, mon ami...

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/bar/3164302318.html

I can't paste the screen capture, but, wow.  $30k buys a LOT of crack, thankfully.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: July 31, 2012, 06:36:15 pm
Probably intending a different meaning than the common US usage of "crack"?

In the USA "crack" is usually associated with cocaine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_cocaine

Then again, maybe not?  One never knows about all of our friends on the web.    :o
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: August 01, 2012, 06:32:19 am
Probably intending a different meaning than the common US usage of "crack"?

In the USA "crack" is usually associated with cocaine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_cocaine

Then again, maybe not?  One never knows about all of our friends on the web.    :o

He wants $30k for an Enfield.  This does not reek of crack consumption to you?

I'm from Queens (New York, that is.)  I know well the US usage of the substance and the word.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: August 01, 2012, 03:55:50 pm
Very common vernacular around head parts. 
Of course we also have the "cracka" phrase as well that is used to refer to rednecks.

Example:  " that kid musta been on crack or from out of town to try to roll up on a cracka round here, everyone knows them cracka's carry guns."
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #62 on: August 02, 2012, 11:37:27 am
You know, one more thing which occurs to me is that I've never seen a factory Enfield military bike equipped with turn signals...they have been added by private owners, though.

Not to say I've specifically seen a military bike painted like this, either, or lacking the required military reg # (which is actually just the VIN) painted on the fender.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: August 02, 2012, 01:41:37 pm
Strange blackness around the lights. I'd be surprised if that was standard.
May contain nuts.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: August 02, 2012, 06:50:42 pm
The turn signals may have been add on's to satisfy some D.O.T. or State requirement for registration in the US.  They look like regular commercial parts.

Did the Indian Military use the headlight visor on their bikes or was this another "non-standard" add on?
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: August 02, 2012, 09:08:07 pm

Sorry for not making the post clear. No other Royal Enfield Reddich models were built at Madras, as in Interceptors, American Indians, Meteors, etc
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Bullet.wagon

• Grease Monkey
Reply #66 on: August 02, 2012, 11:34:54 pm
Not trying to be mean, but it's not gonna sell.
2005 RE Military
2000 RE 350

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: August 26, 2012, 03:50:34 am
Not trying to be mean, but it's not gonna sell.

Still posted...

When he finally realizes that $2000 is a decent asking price and he should take $1800 for it if he manages to get an offer that high, maybe it will sell.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: June 21, 2013, 03:57:42 am
Gotta wonder what happened with this one.

kylohere

• Scooter
Reply #69 on: June 30, 2013, 09:36:02 pm
Greetings!
My name is Kyle Pereira and I'm a bloke who rides Enfields where they're still being made - yes, in India! It's great to be a part of this forum and I thank you for having me here.

I apologise for raining on anybody's parade, but this bike is most certainly NOT an Indian military bike in its original paint. The reasons why I can say this with conviction start from the paint job itself. No Indian army bike, or any army bike from any other country for that matter, would have such bright transfers of the manufacturer on the tank along with the red flashes along the flanks. That would make it so much easier for the enemy to train his scope on, don't you think? The army bikes ridden here by the 'jawans' (that's what soldiers are called here in India in the local tongue) are mostly olive green numbers with a very discreet Royal Enfield badge/decal on the tank. Desert tan and camo schemes do exist on some of the Indian army Bullets, but they are seldom seen. None have such flamboyant markings, however.

Secondly, the Indian army bikes absolutely do not have such indicators (blinkers). They are mostly chunky rectangular units and the ones at the rear are placed on either side of the registration number plate, facing upward rather than poking outwards. 

Thirdly, all Indian army Bullets that I have seen (and I have seen many) have always been shod with the long seat that also accommodates a pillion.

Also, the handle bars are wrong for an Indian army Bullet, because the ones fitted here are off the Machismo while the ones fitted on the real McCoy are the flat bars. The panniers are wrong too - canvas or even leather saddle bags for that matter, won't last too long in our hot humid climate and that is why the Army prefers metal boxes held by a rather stout frame on either side of the bike at the rear. This, however, could have very well been changed by the former owner, along with the addition of the tool roll at the front.

Also, the following seems to be incorrect. And I quote: 'Its funny when I purchsed the Bike I was also a bit skeptical, so I called Royal Enfield in India and they admitted that before 1985 the records are very sketchy cuz they didnt move completely to India until 1986, however; based on the serial number it appears to them that it was Indian made, he also stated that to his knowledget all models for military use were made in India that year and based on the set up was not a civillian model.'

Enfield India, as it was called then, was building bikes completely in the country since the sixties. I do not know how the bloke on the other end of the line told you that they moved in completely only as late as 1986. Yes, the records are not very well organised, but my bike, a Standard 350 Bullet dating back to 1980, is on the books for all to see. Also, what setup was he referring to? The civilian and army bikes are identical, save for their paint schemes and small odds and ends like indicators/blinkers and the like.

I hope this answers any queries that you might have had. I absolutely do not mean to offend anyone, but I'm just clearing up the air...

kylohere

• Scooter
Reply #70 on: June 30, 2013, 09:42:30 pm
Here is my military 350 (genuine), please note the top of the toolbox where there is provision for a padlock, also the shape of the rear mudguard carrier at the bottom where it kinks past the rear shock. If it aint got these features then it aint Indian military.'

Again, not true. Some of the earlier bikes had these, the later ones don't.

kylohere

• Scooter
Reply #71 on: June 30, 2013, 10:04:03 pm

Let's not forget the predecessors of the Mini Bullet called the Sherpa and the Crusader. Both of them used Villiers 175 cc two stroke single port motors along with a lot of Bullet cycle parts like forks, shocks etc. Many parts were unique to these models too, like the headlight nacelle of the Crusader (looks like the head of a beagle, if you ask me), frame etc. Royal Enfield also built an odd scooter called the Fantabulous that was basically powered by the same Villiers motor. Another unusual feature of this scooter was that it had two gear shift pedals - one for the first two gears and the other for the rest! Electric start was also offered, but everyone I know who has owned one has told me the same thing - it almost never worked!

Enfield then went ahead and redesigned the Villiers engine, adding some displacement to bring it up to 200cc and making it rather boxy. This was the motor that powered the Mini Bullet. These, along with the Crusaders, were raced a lot during those years but stopping them was a tad hairy! And to keep things interesting, just like then, my Crusader goes but hates to stop..

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: July 01, 2013, 05:06:54 pm
And in a great coincidence, a friend on another bike board just told me, "You won't believe what I just saw on Craigslist...you'll love this.  Some guy trying to pawn an old Enfield off for $18k, with some wacky story about its past!"

He couldn't find the link for me though.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: July 01, 2013, 05:40:39 pm
I get a kick out of this thread.  Some guy who doesn't know squat about the bike pays way too much for it and now he thinks he has a super rare relic from the stone age.  LOL  I laughed at every post where he's like "But, but...  It came from Inida!  And... And...  And it was a REAL military bike!  And...  And..."

So funny that he didn't know anything about the bike but insisted it was "unique" and "rare".

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: July 01, 2013, 07:01:10 pm
His arrogant air gave me the feeling he was a fraud, sneering down his nose at the unwashed commoners thinking it would bolster his claim to authenticity.  He made up the whole story knowing there is a sucker born every minute.  After all, people are paying $30k for fake '60's muscle cars - grandma's old Tempest with new trim = GTO!  Stick Super Sport on anything Chevy....
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: July 01, 2013, 08:02:45 pm
I totally agree.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #76 on: July 09, 2014, 08:58:52 pm
I still really wanna know what happened to this.

gunnerasch

• Scooter
Reply #77 on: July 19, 2014, 09:07:46 am
Ive followed this for over a year. I wonder what the lad would have given me for my 1942 BSA M20..which I found in North Africa in the mid 1970s..with 912 miles on the odometer and 400 rds of 303 Brit ammo in the pannier cans. Found it in a crate in a camel barn actually. Cost me $25 and dinner for a very nice Bedouin fellah and his #1 wife.

Gunner