Author Topic: The Highest Pass (Documentary with RE's)  (Read 3480 times)

Jonesin

• Scooter
  • No Enfield Yet :(
on: February 11, 2012, 04:01:55 am
(Yes I searched) but didn't see anything about this upcoming movie anywhere (yet)
'Twill be one I watch for sure.
http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/independent/thehighestpass/

:o
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 03:17:59 am by Jonesin »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 06:12:45 pm
Bump...

It's now available on DVD (no blu-ray), as well as digital download to rent or buy, "regular" or HD, on iTunes and Netflix, maybe other places.

Anybody seen it?  All navel-gazing, or is there worthwhile ride footage?

I found a $10 iTunes gift card in a used book, which would almost pay for an HD download purchase, so I might just give it a go if nobody else has...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 10:29:56 pm
I may be able to wait until April 27th when it's supposed to be in theaters.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 06:27:58 pm
Nope, couldn't wait. I bought it from Amazon.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 05:46:58 am
I'm going to be watching that on Netflix tmorrow on my day off.  That looks like a pretty epic movie.  I'm excited to see it.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 11:22:02 am
Well, Siskel and Ebert, please let us know what you think!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 02:43:50 pm
Be curious to hear from our board movie critics...The comments that I've read said the movie should had included more of the actual Himalayan motorcycling experience vice centering on the individuals and their quest for karma. (Many say, the movie didn't deliver what they advertised) ..Can't wait to read everyones analysis . If u guys say it was a blast,  then I'll watch it .....Don't forget to put on your enfield 3d goggles   ;D..
Oh Magoo you done it again

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 06:20:44 pm
I watched half of it last night on Netflix.  Quite honestly, not sure if I'm gonna finish.  As someone who loves India, has ridden all these roads and loves Enfields, I gotta say it's a bit of a letdown.  However, there are some great shots of the roads and I think you get a pretty good idea of what it is like to be up there.  Like GreenMachine said of other comments, I too believe that they could have done more with the actual motorcycling experience.  Also, the karma, yogi/guru, spiritual India cliche is played out in my opinion.  There are so many sides of India -- it is endlessly interesting.  I think it's time to move on from these old, tired cliches...Just my opinion.

Also, as a Iron Barrel owner I was disappointed to see that all the bikes were new ones.  Maybe, I'll go back to India, fireball up a 350 and make my own documentary....

Mike_D

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 11:28:50 pm
OK I just finished watching the whole thing.  Final verdict: worth watching if only for the amazing shots of Ladakh.  I'd see it in the theater if I could.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 11:42:56 pm
When it was first released I intended to go see it and made a mental note of when it would be in town.

I still haven't learned how to store my mental notes so by the time I recalled it it was a month too late.  :(

Then, I mentioned it to my wife for a Christmas present but the DVD's weren't available then. :(

Now that I'm reading some of the comments I wouldn't kick if she got a copy of it for me but I don't think I'll ask for it. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 03:18:09 am
I watched half of it last night on Netflix.  Quite honestly, not sure if I'm gonna finish.  As someone who loves India, has ridden all these roads and loves Enfields, I gotta say it's a bit of a letdown.  However, there are some great shots of the roads and I think you get a pretty good idea of what it is like to be up there.  Like GreenMachine said of other comments, I too believe that they could have done more with the actual motorcycling experience.  Also, the karma, yogi/guru, spiritual India cliche is played out in my opinion.  There are so many sides of India -- it is endlessly interesting.  I think it's time to move on from these old, tired cliches...Just my opinion.

Also, as a Iron Barrel owner I was disappointed to see that all the bikes were new ones.  Maybe, I'll go back to India, fireball up a 350 and make my own documentary....
Thanks for the honesty.
I understand the spiritual side of humanity.I would rather enjoy the art of motorcycle riding in an incredible country.
 Seems the zen/ yoga thing has become an overworked clouseau.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 04:19:34 am
Finally finished watching this and I agree with everyone else.  Totally could of used WAY more riding footage.  It was cool and worth watching, but I probably won't be watching it a second time.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 22, 2013, 08:31:54 pm
I finished watching my copy yesterday. I enjoyed it, but it definitely could have had more riding in it. We didn't get to see much of the roadside maintenance, if there was much. They did have a guy changing a tube.
I guess part of the letdown of the movie is realizing that one hell of a lot of people do this ride every year, so it's not not like it's anything new. There's definitely nothing particularly daunting about it other than the trucks, weather and altitude.
As for the spiritual side, that is definitely a personal thing and everyone will have a  different idea about it.
It reminded me of a movie from the '70s, "Nothing by Chance" that was based on a book by Richard Bach. He's the guy that wrote "Jonathon Livingston Seagull" He had an old Bird biplane that he went barnstorming with in the Midwest in the early '60s and had a great time. He thought that since he had a such a good time with it the first time around, he's try it again with some more guys and do a documentary about it. Unfortunately, times had changed and the lawyers were attacking everything and he wasn't as welcome landing in farmer's field as he had been on the previous run. I don't recall who the credits for doing the movie were, but he was deeply involved in the production.
Bach believes himself to be the great messiah and guru and lets all those  around him know it. The guys who were flying with him for the movie really resented his "holier than thou" attitude. It as an interesting comparison to this new one! 
I do enjoy Bach's books very much, but I have met the guy and he is a real ass!
Bare
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:34:19 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2013, 07:04:13 pm
Just finished watching on Netflix. I enjoyed this movie documentary. I feel riding is spiritually uplifting. A trip like this would take that feeling to an extreme level. Would love to someday take a similar trip. Nothing can take me away from thoughts of the past or future and instantly has me concentrating fully on the present than riding a motorcycle. Also liked hearing Jon Anderson singing in the film. His ethereal vocal style fit the mood of the journey.

I also just finished the Long Way Around box-set. Would highly recommend this documentary. The disk set documents actor Ewan McGregor & friend Charlie Boorman trip from England heading east to New York. The second disk set has them traveling from John 0 'Grotes Scotland heading south to Cape Agulhas, South Africa. The third set has Charlie Boorman riding in the Dakar Ralley.

Since I'm on a roll watching motorcycle documentaries I think I will revisit one of the finest documentaries on the subject of motorcycle riding. For those out there that have never watched,"On any Sunday" you are missing out. For those who have, Netflix offers it on instant play. This movie was the driving force to start me on my path of motorcycle ownership in 1971. God bless Steve McQueen & Co.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:06:33 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 03, 2013, 09:42:47 pm
"On Any Sunday" is great and you can see it for free on Hulu if you don't have Netflix.  The long way series is a little too much whinging for me.  I really enjoyed the "One Life to Ride" story by Ajit Harisinghani.  Another one of my favorites is "Gasoline Gypsy" is being made available by Gordon May again.  It's about a woman who rides a BSA Bantam with her dog around the U.S. and Mexico in the fifties.