Author Topic: K&N and Carb Setting on Standard VM28  (Read 5628 times)

rxr2012

• Scooter
on: February 07, 2012, 06:29:26 pm
I have the 2003 Classic ES, which in its current setup, anything more than 1/4 throttle needs the choke -ON to run without carb spitting / coughing.

VM28, Needle at Full Rich( bottom most slot if you hold it up ), Air Screw less than 1 turn out,  K&N and a Goldie Exhaust. Float height at 24mm, measured with the carb facing down. Idle screw about 6-7 turns out. Cold compression is at 105-110 PSI.

Plan is to change 130 Main and 30 Pilot jets, Needle jets - leaving them stock.

Without timing changes, what's the optimum setting for this carb, what to expect.
It will be good to hear from someone with this mod, so i can compare.

>> Barnett friction plates and Clutch Rod with Bearing - going in as well.
UPS says the parts will be here today.

2003 Classic 500 4SPD
2003 Yamaha FZ1

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 08:50:27 pm
Chances are very strong that you'll need to go to at least a P0 needle jet,and maybe a P2.
I know they are expensive, but if you get a cough at 1/4-1/3 throttle that you just can't get rid of, then you're gonna need a richer needle jet.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

rxr2012

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 09:11:15 pm
Thanks ACE , i am going to see if I can find one locally.
thanks
2003 Classic 500 4SPD
2003 Yamaha FZ1

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 10:04:10 pm
Hey i have the same setup on my 07. Goldie(no baffle) and a K+N cone filter. Like Ace said, ya might have to bump up that needle jet a size or two to make it run better. I messed with mine alot last summer and ended up with this:

130 main
30 pilot
1.5 out on air screw
Richest clip on needle
P2 needle jet
Stock slide

I also put a small shim on the bottom of the needle cir-clip to give it a half notch richer. Bike seems to run awesome now and im at about 62 mpg. So not too rich or not too lean etc. Might need a little more tweaking but i dont get any spit back through the carb or a sputtering feeling anymore mainly during mid throttle. Pulls away nice and clean too at any throttle opening low or high.

I am willing to part with the needle jet(P0) as i  dont need it anymore and it would be cheaper than CMW. Anyway, those are my settings so hope it helps ya.

rxr2012

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 12:39:10 pm
greekxj - thanks a lot, that really helps, i am going to try the same setup, why re-invent.
I have 130 and 145 main jets, nField shipped Amal pilots - yes !! , so
more waiting..  the barnett friction plates look like.."i am real"

From what you are saying, 1/2 notch richer by putting a shim,  145 Main and a 30 Pilot and P2 needle sounds optimum.

Welcome the P0 offer, if the P2 worked, let me get one ;), appreciate that a lot.

Did you remove the baffle in the goldie - does that help ?
Noise is not a concern for me, run a D&D on my FZ1.

Now i am thinking, what would i do with my enfield, without this forum !!

thanks for chiming in,
cheers.

2003 Classic 500 4SPD
2003 Yamaha FZ1

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 01:09:42 pm
The setting for the vm28 that eventually worked for me was "setting on the shelf". Flatslide cured everything.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

rxr2012

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 01:30:59 pm
cyrusb - working with what i got for now ;)

With all the talk about the 32 /34mm not required, more inclined towards them.
Took off the jets, going to find the pilots and needle locally - if i can. The needle
jet was just pressed in a little push from the bottom of the crab pops it out, save that washer between main and needle jets., for anyone looking this up in the future..
below is a good link - its not a VM28, but 90% of the tuning and language applies to the RE.

http://www.3cyl.com/mraxl/manuals/carbtune/carbtune.htm

2003 Classic 500 4SPD
2003 Yamaha FZ1

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 03:50:35 pm
Hows your slide to body clearance? At 5k mine was so shot it rattled. Even when you get the 28 dialed in, you will still be missing some motor. The carb change transformed my bike like it grew another cylinder.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

rxr2012

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 04:41:47 pm
cyrusb - which one do you have on yours, what size and make., the flat ?

There are some after market slides available( for VM28)  with 0.002 thou oversized and richer. Its painfull not to feed it ., used to own a 350 an old beater which was fixed ground up., just stock, it behaved a lot better than my 500 ES.

Hows your slide to body clearance? - is pretty fit, remember my 2003 had only 800+ miles on it, now at 1100+

Another topic.. the Fuel Tap leaks now and the garage smells gas, anything i can do to stop that.. , thx.
2003 Classic 500 4SPD
2003 Yamaha FZ1

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 07:16:02 pm
I think you may need to replace the tap if the leak is not from threads were you can use a fuel resistant tape.  Maybe you need a hose clamp on the fuel line.

I have to replace the tap on my 95 as it does not really shut off and leaks a bit.   Thinking of scouring the net for a pingel or some such if I can find one with the proper thread.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 08:19:45 pm
I use the 30mm unit from cmw. It came with some jets but ended up with the "as shipped" ones, worked perfectly. It even has a fast idle on the enrichener.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 11:05:31 pm
greekxj - thanks a lot, that really helps, i am going to try the same setup, why re-invent.
I have 130 and 145 main jets, nField shipped Amal pilots - yes !! , so
more waiting..  the barnett friction plates look like.."i am real"

From what you are saying, 1/2 notch richer by putting a shim,  145 Main and a 30 Pilot and P2 needle sounds optimum.

Welcome the P0 offer, if the P2 worked, let me get one ;), appreciate that a lot.

Did you remove the baffle in the goldie - does that help ?
Noise is not a concern for me, run a D&D on my FZ1.

Now i am thinking, what would i do with my enfield, without this forum !!

thanks for chiming in,
cheers.

Hey no problem. 130 on the main though not 145! Now one thing to keep in mind and you will see it here is that every bike is different so what works for me might not work for you. My bike seems to like richer settings when others with leaner settings have great results. So we are trying to get ya close and you can fine tune from there. As far as the P0 PM me if you are interested. I dont have an extra P2 so you gotta do CMW there. I went that route with the P0 first and it was still too lean though so that's why i got the P2. Hate to see ya go the same way and need a bigger one too but its your call if ya wanna try the P0 first ya know. And ya my baffle is gone.Got the bike like that so im not sure what it would be like with it. I just tuned accordingly and like loud bikes anyway ;D

rxr2012

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 11:34:15 pm
thanks guys..

cyrusb - if this makes you feel better, ordered a TM32-1 Mikuni Flat Carb from
that famous forest website, someday when i get closer to that fireball, it will be
useful, we have 02 guys in the area, 1 with the fireball and another fireballing...

greekxj - looks like next wednesday is when i will have the parts,
just putting everything back and the new clutch plates this week., with a 130 or 145 jet , I will pm you for the p0.

spending.. a little.. here and there.. ;) and the garage smells like gas.. the wife's
not screaming yet !
2003 Classic 500 4SPD
2003 Yamaha FZ1

Bumboo

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 04:26:04 am
Money well spent!  I installed a flatside w/ K&N filter on my 500 Classic.  It ran purrfectly out of the box though I tried several jet combos; even the worst of which was a quantum improvement over the OEM.    My  regret is that I wasted way too much time nursing the original carb which I was convinced I could make "right" in time.  (Afterall, I still tune much more complicated carbs for a living, right?)  At least you read the posting herein and took the advice of sage contributors and opted out for a new one before you went crazy trying to make the old one work.  :)         

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 01:20:27 pm
+1 on that Bumboo ! Rxr2012, Once you get past the carb, you can get your rat tail file out and give yourself some much needed advance (if you are still running points). My flyweights now come out even with the advance units base plate. Huge difference in power. At that setting, running premium, I can just get it to ping if I really bog it. The lack of advance from the factory must be the result of whatever passes for fuel in India.