Author Topic: C5 bar options?  (Read 2612 times)

tmccarthy41

• Scooter
on: February 05, 2012, 05:43:47 pm
I took my '11 C5 into a local bike shop (trophy motorcycles) in San Diego, to inquire about replacing the stock bars with something else. Off hand they didn't have many options, or advice because of the wiring, clearance withy the tank, and so on..

What has anyone seen that works, an it relatively "easy" for installation?

I'm ultimately trying to drop the bars (not full on clip on cafe low), but definitely lower.
-Tim
Pittsburgh, PA

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 06:01:41 pm
The G5 bars are lower and a bit more pullback.
A bit too low for me so I put some C5 bars on my G5.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

tmccarthy41

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 06:26:23 pm
Wanting to get rid of the g5 bar?
-Tim
Pittsburgh, PA

DaveT

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 10:32:32 pm
If it's any help, I replaced mine (on C5) with "north road" style traditional bicycle handlebars, same tube diameter, cheap, interesting shape, no need to extend cables/electrics & they clear the tank for turning. I changed them purely for aesthetics, have yet to ride the bike with them fitted, they do feel comfy but a lot narrower than stock....so I don't know how they'll handle. Snow here in Eastern England at the moment so no chance of a test ride just yet .

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 11:21:43 pm
A couple of options I've used. The higher bars are quite comfortable with the stock pegs and they won't hit the tank. The Clubman bars are great with the rearsets. Not quite as versatile as the high bars, ie, they suck in the dirt!
Neither required any cable changes, however the fork stops needed to be shimmed with the Clubman bars to keep the bars out of the tank.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:23:15 pm
Hello tmccarthy41,
     I ordered item # Z91136 ( Cafe ) handlebars from NField Gear about a year and a half ago and finally received them last month!! They are exactly what I was looking for. They look great and are " mild " compared to the Ace bars. Easy installation and no interference with the fuel tank. I don't see them on line, but they where in the catalog. I hope they're still available. They look great on my G5 Deluxe. I'm currently fitting bar end mirrors on them. I'll post some pictures when it's complete. Hope this helps.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 12:30:05 am
Wanting to get rid of the g5 bar?
PM sent
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 08:17:49 am
Here in that states there are about 6-8 styles of generic bars sold in almost every shop.  They are sold under different brand names but I think they're all from the same supplier.  As the pic above shows they all seem to come too far back or are too low on the C5 for tank clearance.  I've tried a few with no luck.  The 'European' bend is pretty close to original but subtly different. 

For other options troll around on the Brit bike parts sites.  They have many more choices that look like they will work.

Scott