Author Topic: Missed downshifts.............  (Read 3518 times)

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 05:00:45 am
You do not have to use the clutch if you are a good shifter, but why wouldn't you? Why put any extra strain on your equipment?

The UCE is a good shifting bike. Some things are important
1. chain adjustment - seena lot of complaints that this clears up. It gets forgotten but is very important for the life of the chain, transmission and primary.
2. clutch adjustment - also overlooked
3. technique. This is the one we see the most on bikes that people swear jump in and out of gear, wont shift etc. (This conversation applies to the 5 speeds only)
I don't mean to insult anyone but we have seen this a lot. Generally speaking it is people that come off of sport bike, have new boots or are pretty new riders. Simply put you must shift firmly and fully. when you shift from one gear to the next you have to release the shifter so that it goes back to the neutral position before you put it in the next gear. ( I don't mean put it in neutral but I do mean let the shifter center it self and then shift
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 10:34:12 am
When I get misses and false neutrals it's usually because I'm racing someone. When I settle down and treat her with respect she's fine.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

rockndave

• Scooter
  • "THMPA"
Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 01:18:04 pm
Good stuff, thanks, Kevin.  And, like Big Cheese says.........R-E-S-P-E-C-T  !   All ladiies work better when you treat them with respect............ask Aretha Franklin.

I'll get back to my blipping, AFTER  a positive downshift.
2010 Royal Enfield Black G-5 Classic, "THMPA"
1998 Kawasaki 1000ZG Concours
1963 Vespa 150 VBB

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with Beer."-Ancient Egyptian  Proverb