Author Topic: Missed downshifts.............  (Read 3509 times)

rockndave

• Scooter
  • "THMPA"
on: January 30, 2012, 01:46:59 am
On almost every ride, sometimes when I downshift, usually from top gear down, but happens with 3rd and 4th, too,, the bike goes into a kind of neutral(neutral light not on) and doesn't go to the next gear down.   Pretty unnerving sometimes, esp. when you're trying to use engine braking and all of a sudden you ain got it!

Anybody else have this problem?  Is it warranty time?   374 miles on the clock.  Using Klotz full syn 20-50 from RE.

I try to blip the throttle on downshifts, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it, I wouldn't think.....
2010 Royal Enfield Black G-5 Classic, "THMPA"
1998 Kawasaki 1000ZG Concours
1963 Vespa 150 VBB

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with Beer."-Ancient Egyptian  Proverb

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 01:51:01 am
When my bike was new it wouldn't always downshift unless I was "very positive" with operating the shift lever.

Both upshifting and downshifting requires a bit of thought.  RE's aren't like some of the other more modern bikes that just need a little "flick" to get into the next gear.  They need a smooth full stroke to get the job done.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

rockndave

• Scooter
  • "THMPA"
Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 01:55:47 am
Maybe that's the problem, I'm being just a little too quick with the shift, especially when I'm trying to get it down before the throttle blip runs out!   Plus, the bike is VERY new!

Thanks.
1963 Vespa 150 VBB

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with Beer."-Ancient Egyptian  Proverb

Jack Leis

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 G5 Classic, F&%king Stolen
Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 02:13:07 am
 I have had the same problem with my G5. Sounds strange but a clutch cable adjustment cured mine the last time.
I would much rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow    Jack

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 02:51:24 am
yeah it happen to me a few times ..Not recommended when entering into a turn into a sub division...hasn't happen in a while..must of been poor shifting from me...
Oh Magoo you done it again

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 04:04:30 am
Blipping the throttle should be totally unnecessary on a modern motorcycle gearbox.

Go for a run and concentrate on a good solid assertive downshift and forget the throttle blip and see if it helps.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 06:46:11 am
I let the clutch out before letting the gear shifter return when I downshift. Makes sure I'm shifting firmly and smoothly.

clubman

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 09:02:04 am
It's been the case for the last few hundred miles on my G5. I don't think it's anything to do with being new as I didn't experience it until I had over 10k on the clock. Adjusting the clutch cable free play has helped a lot, it's probably only a couple of times per ride as opposed to every change now. There are people here who swear by having no free play at the lever but I can't bring myself to do that. This bike definitely seems far more sensitive to clutch adjustment than any others out there.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 05:02:12 pm
On some bikes, if you try to shift it too fast and hard, it will actually overshift and end up between the next two lower gears, ie, from fifth it will go between 3rd and 4th. There is a fair amount of mass moving in the gearbox and if it is a bit stiff stiff from being new, it may be doing that. Don't worry about the throttle blip, just slow down the shift a bit, you don't need to be ridiculous about it, just don't hammer it, and make sure you go through the entire stroke. It will get better as it breaks in.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: January 30, 2012, 05:38:52 pm
Adjust the clutch cable, this bike is very sensitive.  Be deilberate on all shifts  and don't punch down through three gears really fast the way you might on a sport bike.   A little patience and a firm toe help a lot.

Scott

rockndave

• Scooter
  • "THMPA"
Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 11:22:16 am
Thanks,all, bottom line is, I guess, I gotta quit using the RE like a sport bike, which it ain't(but it's pretty dang peppy!). I do find a more positive, firm, downshift helps.  Blipping will have to go by the wayside for awhile, too, although I love to do it.   With the EFI pipe, the nabors love it........  ;D

I'll keep an eye on the clutch cable, too,  It's time for me to give the bike a good going over anyhow, tighten up all  those loose bolts, nuts, check for wiring about to be frayed that you all talk about.   Don't want no stinking breakdown or fire like I read about!
1963 Vespa 150 VBB

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 05:04:59 pm
Make sure the clutchcable is always adjusted properly and well lubed.  These bikes are picky about that.  Also, you can adjust the shift lever up or down.  Getting that set properly can help make your shifts more deliberate as well.

As to adjusting your attitude away from sport bikes, it should happen itself the more miles you put on.  Enjoy the ride, not the rush ;)

Scott

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 06:09:47 pm
     Blipping the throttle actually serves a couple of useful purposes:
     1- On OLD bikes, particularly pumped up race bikes, Blipping the throttle help keep the bike from stalling. A lot of racers turned the idle screw all the way out to ensure the engine would cut off as they went into a corner. This enhances speed and braking control. Doesn't apply much to modern bikes.
     2- On any bike, bike, proper use of the throttle smooths out the down shift. Properly done you would blip just enough so that engine RPM would exactly match what it would be in the gear you go into at the road speed you go into it. Done properly the bike will not jerk as it does when the engine revs to catch up to the gear and road speed. Down shifts will be seamless and deceleration will be constant.
     Blipping does not affect clutch life or action.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 07:23:03 pm
I've done clutchless upshifts and clutchless downshifts with a blip on more modern bikes but there was a thread here not long ago where Kevin said the RE tranny is a differenty type than modern Japanese sport bikes and clutchless shifting on the RE is not a good idea. 

Scott

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 01:43:54 am
     I did not mean to imply that you should not use the clutch. The throttle blip should be done as you use the clutch in a normal manner.