Author Topic: Make any tire a whitewall  (Read 3860 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:06:50 am
Man, I haven't seen those in many, many years! Didn't know they were still around!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

bittercrick

• Bulleteer
  • C-5 Chrome
Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 12:14:32 am
Oh my god after all those years,i had long since forgot they ever were. bittercrick
bikes Triumph 06 T100 - 01 Triumph Adventurer - RE C-5 chrome -78 Honda GL1000-83 Honda CB1100F

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 02:59:13 am
I haven't seen them in a long time but never saw them for bikes.  Pretty inexpensive, I may have to get a set for the C5.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 05:13:20 pm
Back in the old days I recall them losing their shape and just kinda flapping in the wind. They didn't stay flush with the tire.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 06:25:35 pm
Back in the day I remember seeing them lying on the side of the road.
If they came off a car tire and didn't hit someone no big thing.
If they flew off a bike tire.......................
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:06:08 pm
That'd be great!  It'd just twist up like the rubber band on a model airplane and WHOOOSH!!!!  Youre riding backwards!

I really do like these and may give them a shot.  I think they'd look divine on a C5 and there are precious few tires that fit available in white walls.  My only concern is just that: what happens to a 2" wide floppy bit of rubber hanging off the edge of your tire at 60mph?

Scott

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 01:25:36 am
Ummmm... Road rash? 

I guess they'd be ok for show days if you are into that, but for a commuter/everyday rider bike if be a bit concerned. It looks like they are held in place only by the rim bead. Neat looking though, but one would need to ditch the 'modern' Avon treaded  tires for the full effect.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

bob bezin

• Grand Gearhead
  • I ride therefore I am.
Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 04:47:08 pm
haven't we in the past discussed some paint on whitewall product?
2000 RE classic ,              56 matchless g80
2006 RE delux fireball       86 yamaha SRX 600                       
2015 indian chief vintage
65 500cctriumph
04 bonnie black
71 750 norton.
48 whizzer

DaveT

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 05:36:08 pm
Don't get too excited by these.....they promise a lot & deliver a little !! My Mrs had a set on a '54 Morris Minor (the trims were Atlas brand), the tyre fitters were very sceptical about fitting them behind the tyre/rim bead & kinda said "no liability or come back on us !" For them to sit nice & tight you really do need a high sidewall tyre or they just don't sit right. To try & overcome the "flapping/rippling" problem you can put grease or petroleum jelly behind them to create a seal to the sidewall......but of course the lubricant splats out with the revolution of the wheel & makes a right mess !! The editor of Practical Classics magazine here in the UK was running a set on his Rover P6 & the outer edge of the trim has started to score into the sidewall of his tyres because of friction !! Pretty, but not good !! & they definately won't work on the stock C5 Avons

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2012, 06:56:59 pm
Bob, I don't think the paint on stuff wouldn look nearly as nice.

Dave, I heard that these don't work well at all with radial tires but work better with bias plys.  The stock Avons are bias plys but I've heard enough here that I'm not going to try them.  I ride my bike often as daily transportation.  Even if there's no safety concern it sounds like there are enough hassles to make it undesirable.  I think these are better for vehicles that get displayed more than they get used ;)

Too bad, woulda looked cool.

Scott

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 05:27:00 pm
Why can't you stick them on with Evo-stick or something?
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 06:14:32 pm
I suppose you could but:
1) If you adhere them you're making it part of the sidewall and that affects the tire dynamics.
2) Contact cement is not the best adhesive for things that will flex repeadtedly over time.
3) That sounds like too much work for my lazy butt!

Scott

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 06:37:15 pm
I suppose you could but:
1) If you adhere them you're making it part of the sidewall and that affects the tire dynamics.
2) Contact cement is not the best adhesive for things that will flex repeadtedly over time.
3) That sounds like too much work for my lazy butt!

Scott

SIdesaway, whitewalls are ugly and just another maintenance item anyway.
CJ
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 11:44:31 pm
             Back in the '50s we had Port-A-Walls from J.C.Whitney. I tried 'em on my mom's car before I even had a driver's license. Crap. They flopped around, never hugged the tire & sooner or later self-destructed.

We also had rubberized paint Paint-On whitewalls. Also crap. It soon soaked up the black from the rubber & became brown or grey.

Even the white paint sticks for the lettering on your tires didn't last long. It soon turned brown or grey. 

There's nothing new under the sun.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.