Author Topic: Sprag Clutch Replacement C5 2010  (Read 15440 times)

Timinator

• Scooter
on: January 27, 2012, 03:58:12 pm
Hi all!  Ends up my sprag clutch went on my C5 Classic 2010, so now I'm replacing it.  Are there any videos to help with the process?  I figured at least one person out there has had the same problem and had a camera in their hands!  Or is there a step by step illustration for it?  Cheers! 

TWinOKC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 05:39:43 pm
Are you sure?  Warranty item?  I thought mine had gone also, turns out the battery was dead.  I would do lots of checking before tearing things apart.  How many miles on your bike?

Good luck to you.
2010  C5  Teal
2011 Triumph Bonneville T100
2015 Scrambler Ducati

Timinator

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 06:29:41 pm
Are you sure?  Warranty item?  I thought mine had gone also, turns out the battery was dead.  I would do lots of checking before tearing things apart.  How many miles on your bike?

Good luck to you.

Thanks, the warranty is up (over the year), about 6k on it.  No issues with the battery, I keep a tender on it and a volt monitor under my speedo.  :)  I had a mechanic check it out and bought the parts, was just hoping to save some cash and perform the spragodectomy myself! 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 06:38:43 pm
I had mine done under warranty and I've seen the left side case open.  Everything is right there.  I can't imagine it's too bad.  I can take a look in my factory manual tomorrow and see what the procedure is if you can wit a bit.

Scott

Timinator

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 06:42:18 pm
I had mine done under warranty and I've seen the left side case open.  Everything is right there.  I can't imagine it's too bad.  I can take a look in my factory manual tomorrow and see what the procedure is if you can wit a bit.

Scott

Thanks, I'm in no particular rush, its the off season!  I have the manual for it, just like more pictures, or moving ones. I find it easier to see the process rather than imagining it.  I may just plunge into it and take pictures as I disassemble to make sure I can reassemble! A better idea would be to make a video that way if I screw up we can review the tape  ;)

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 08:47:47 pm
UK warranty is 2 years, second year is parts only. Isn't that so in the USA?
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 03:50:29 am
Keven provides a full 2 year warranty covering both parts and labor for all of the newly sold Royal Enfields he imports to the USA.

Unfortunately, the warranty is not transferable to a second owner or for bikes that have had a side car mounted.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Timinator

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 01:48:00 pm
Keven provides a full 2 year warranty covering both parts and labor for all of the newly sold Royal Enfields he imports to the USA.

Unfortunately, the warranty is not transferable to a second owner or for bikes that have had a side car mounted.

That would be both restrictions on my RE!

coinzy

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: January 30, 2012, 11:16:08 pm
Still give them a try as we were  assured these sprag issues were a thing of the past on the new  UCE.

JesterNT

• Scooter
  • Maintenance is as much art as it is science.
Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 01:28:42 am
How did this ever turn out?  Did you do it yourself? I think the Sprag Clutch on my 2009 C5 is going.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 02:17:08 am
Hi guys...you'll usually find me in  the CLASSIC section... ;)...I grenaded my sprag clutch last fall...and couldn't even kick start the bike...being an 05 model it was WAY out of warrantee. I had to suck it up and take it to the closest RE shop (3hours away). Mike did the work...and also did some adjustments to ignition timing...I don't rely on the E-start anymore, I kick it over now.
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

Timinator

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: April 26, 2012, 02:33:52 pm
Hi all just an update, I ended up replacing it myself.  Actually wasn't that big of a job, just took some patience.  I would have loved to have the clutch nut holder for it to keep the clutch from moving, but a thick rag and a strategically cut piece of wood works, just need to be very careful.  It took me about an hour or so not knowing exactly what I'm doing.  Ever since then, the bike goes first push on the ignition, no issues.  The old sprag came out and looked fine until I separated it and about a half dozen teeth fell into my hand!  So, I guess that was the problem  ;)  If you need any help with it let me know.  Cheers!

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 03:27:17 pm
Good to know it's a DIY job if it comes to it.  Can you tell us how much was the new sprag?
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: April 26, 2012, 03:38:25 pm
Timinator:  Makes me happy to know that the job isn't that bad..I probably have to do mine too..I thought the newer bikes had tougher hardeded sprags in them?  I've seen sprag type  clutches/bearings  on other things and wasn;t impressed then either..... Is your c5 striclty ES?
Oh Magoo you done it again

Timinator

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: April 26, 2012, 03:41:57 pm
GreenMachine:  Unfortunately my C5 is only ES, no kicking on her.  Too bad because I probably would have left the sprag.  I heard that the bikes made after mine already had the better sprag installed.  Always the way!