Author Topic: MOT, UK  (Read 7244 times)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 08:44:03 am
Yes I'll be taking my bike for MOT "as is" now. I did speak with my local RE Dealer/MOT tester and he does'nt see a problem-as yet.
I still have the cat silencer so yes I can swop it back. Not a long job, but just one of those other jobs that have to be done instead of riding.
I dont consider the goldie particularly loud, compared to some of the Harlys that you hear, but I suppose its all to do with emmisions.

Thanks for all the responses very interesting.

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 09:23:55 pm
Scott. It's illegal to drink whilst driving here in the UK. A couple of years back a woman was stationery in a queue at a traffic light waiting for it to change. She took a swig of water from a bottle and was charged for it.

Costa apparently has plans for coffee drive throughs. But nobody can understand why as you wouldn't be able to drink them without parking up anyway!
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 09:32:54 pm
Isn't that a safety concern?

Dehydration can cause halucinations and unconsciousness.

Should be mandatory to drink (plenty of fluids) while driving.

Caseman
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 10:10:09 pm
Scott. It's illegal to drink whilst driving here in the UK. A couple of years back a woman was stationery in a queue at a traffic light waiting for it to change. She took a swig of water from a bottle and was charged for it.

Costa apparently has plans for coffee drive throughs. But nobody can understand why as you wouldn't be able to drink them without parking up anyway!

On the subject of drinking whilst driving. The law in some Australian states makes it illegal to even have your keys in your pocket while drunk as the courts can (and have) interpreted possession of the keys as "in control" of the motor vehicle.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 10:12:29 pm

You can tax people more every year and force them into 'socialized' medicine, but if you told Americans they couldn't drink coffee while driving you'd have the next revolution in this country.

Here you can drink and smoke while you drive.  I think in most states you can even talk on the phone, text, and surf the web at the same time.  I've seen people doing all three.  Many states are enacting laws against talking on the phone, texting, and surfing the web.  Why we need laws against all this smartphone silliness I don't know, you would think people would just know it's not the best idea, unsafe, and would choose not to do it.  But they don't.  God bless America!

Scott

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 10:14:58 pm
One police officer friend told me of a case where a guy got off the drinking and driving charge he recieved at a single car accident scene. The guy wrecked his car, and waited by the side of the road and started chugging booze, he had the bottle to his mouth when the police rolled up. They could not prove he was intoxicated before the accident, and he ended up with just a public intoxication charge in the courts.

Not an easy gamble.
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: January 31, 2012, 08:55:55 am
Last year I did a contract in London.

I'm now of the opinion texting and WALKING should be illegal!

Pedestrians wander about not looking where they're going and then step off the pavement into the road in front of the traffic!!!

I guess thats sidewalk and pavement to you chaps over there. ;)
May contain nuts.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #22 on: January 31, 2012, 11:12:37 am
Last year the number of injured pedestrians in Germany went up by some 15%. The officials blame distractions by mobile phones.
It's amazing. It seems that the proper use of a mobile phone is too complicated for the average customer.
But luckily the solution is at hand: bann it! Bann anything that could be harmfull to anybody! It's about public security, stupid! Of course life is more secure if we have more laws, isn't that obvious?
#Irony end#
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #23 on: January 31, 2012, 07:30:39 pm
Not an easy gamble.

I've heard a similar story from a friend, though it happened many years ago.  Not an easy gamble?  You're already on the hook for DUI.  Adding public intoxication is a small risk compared to being able to drop the DUI.  I just drive sober, I can't calculate odds on the spot when I'm drunk.  Also, being a single car accident with no one hurt helps make it easier for the justice deparment to care less.

Scott

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: January 31, 2012, 10:12:37 pm
Very true Scotty.

I prefer to ride/drive sober. Its the law..
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 07:33:52 pm
Bike has just passed the MOT wIth the "goldie" silencer. Dead chuffed!!

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 07:45:36 pm
Congratulations.

Another myth busted.

Caseman
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 08:01:47 pm
If your Goldie sounds anything like mine, I'm astonished!  But great news nonetheless - I'll leave mine on at MOT time   ;)
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 02:13:24 pm
Did'nt even start the engine! But must have heard me coming, although the bike runs quiet untill its reved.(rode it in on tickover)
I dont think the testers have any obligation to start the engine, (unless they suspect a problem perhaps)

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 08:03:25 pm
Or to get the lights illuminating.
May contain nuts.