Author Topic: MOT, UK  (Read 7242 times)

Marrtyn

• Bulleteer
on: January 26, 2012, 01:49:21 pm
Just getting an inclin, that now to pass the MOT (in the UK), any replacement exhausts fitted after 1/1/1985,- they have to be stamped BSAU 193.

So then in my case, (G5), the 1st. MOT coming up in March, will mean I have to switch back to the original cat. silencer as fitted originally,from my "goldie" style silencer.

This I am going to have to do each year if I decide to then switch back to the "goldie".

These form part of the new regulations, from our European friends, as I undersand.

Please correct me if I am wrong. :'(

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 02:08:07 pm
No idea about the stamping bit if a vehicle originally came with a cat then it has to have one fitted for the MOT.
I got rid of my Range Rover just in time as a replacement downpipe was £500 and I had removed mine as it was a 92 model and previously didn't have to have cats fitted.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 02:31:47 pm
In Germany the situation is similar. Every two years I have to fit all the stock parts as exhausts, silencers, even handlebars or lights in order to pass the TÜV-test. Any alteration is considered to be illegal, as long there is no technical option of experts. But such a paper is too expensive even for importers, not to mention private persons who wont spend 1500.- Euros to legalize a new, different handlebar. .
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 03:50:10 pm by Kevin Mahoney »
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:31:38 pm
I sent further greetings to Berlin & Brussels, but these were ornated by some expressions Kevin found inappropriate to use in this forum. He´s probably right, sorry Kevin for causing trouble, it simply overwelmed me. Regards
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 09:27:38 pm
yeah us  GI's would be able to purchase local cars in germany  for a song and a dance, get the car inspected on base and throw a set of America Forces tags on  for nil.....I remember talking to German friends about the pleasures associated with a actual real inspection on the local economy.....But then again, their  cars (even 15-20 yrs old) didn't fall apart going over 100 mph on the autobahn either....
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 12:24:58 am
My American friend was in the service in Germany and getting his car inspected locally for some reason.  It was an old VW Bug.  The inspector mentioned rust holes in the floor and then illustrated by pushing a screw driver up into them and opening them up.  Fortunately he was handy and it was easy enough to repair.  As he told me, you couldn't even drive around with large dents in the bodywork for very long or you'd get a ticket.  Very strict but as you say, their cars don't fall apart at speed.  I've seen large parts fall off and tires blow out on people I'm following on the freeway here in the states.  Eek!

There are plenty of folks who remove turbo/superchargers and all associated mods and swap back to stock for inspections in California and then put it all right back on.  I'm too lazy for anything like that.  I bought my last new car because it was a cold, rainy October day when my last car broke down.  Even though I had already called a friend and he had the parts I needed I didn't want to spend the whole weekend on the driveway soaked and shivering while I fixed it.

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 01:17:42 am
i had  a NSU(BMW) and a vw 2 door  fastback that had a fuel injected pancake engine that would haul up and down the autobahn...passenger floorboard was rusted out where u could see a little sliver of road and a dent on the front side panel...it was that ugly orange tangerine 70's color....i picked it up for 150 bucks...it lasted me a year and i sold it for 100 bucks when i left....no way it would pass german inspection/////

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 02:34:11 pm
In one of the last issues of The Classic MotorCycle there was an interesting collumn about road test for vehicles in general. The author Roy Poynting hold the view that due to these the individual resposibility of the majority of vehicle owners would suffer, creating a negative influence on the technical standard that counterweights the effects of a road test.
Well, looking at my neigbours and their knowledge of cars I´m not sure if he´s exactly right. The days when automobilists and motorcyclists were keen mechanics and aware of the fact that a failure could have devastating effect are probably over. The inflationary use of the terms "security" and "safetiness" has washed away most awareness, as the biggst part of customers bought a "safe" car with tons of airbags together with multiple electronic systems that will erase any driver´s error, just in case.
The basic motivation is the thought, that your safe homecoming is mainly, or at least in a decisive way, dependent on technics, so you´re free to make some mistakes or beeing distracted by mobiles or navs - your car will take care of that. That seems like a contradiction to the issue I tried to decribe above.
But these security systems cannot fail! That´s what the makers tell their customers constantly in order to sell them. And they´re right! The electronic components of help systems are surprisigly stable with very little numbers of failures, campared to, err, the wiring of a RE, for example.
Obviosly there are other components of vehicles that do need driver´s attention more often. like tires, lighting or the general care for wearing parts. Here there are the negative effects on driver´s security Roy Poynting described, caused by th believe that safe cars cannot fail.
The other negative effect created by this kind of misbelieve is the assumption that it´s possible to buy security by simply purchasing legion of help systems combined with a centralized controll of all parts used in vehicles. All customers buying any part of a vehicle shall be absolutely positive about the flawlessness of it - tested by officials, valued to official criteria.
From the market´s perspective that makes perfectly sense, as customers will be more eager to buy parts if they can be sure that it´s officially branded as "legal", especially when their technical knowledge is rather flat. According to this logic it´s a good idea to brand any other parts as "illegal" and forbid it´s purchase. This way it´s unlikely that an ignorant customer will buy some untested part by accident.
And here we are: in the process of protecting the dumb costomers from themselves it´s only a side issue that well skilled people are not allowed to use whatever part they´re confident about anymore, only because it´s not officialy branded "legal". Anyone who feels treated like a four-year-old raise his/her hand!
But the more tragic effect is that you cannot buy security, whatever wonder the electronic world will ever offer. The decisive factor is the human beeing that should be aware of it´s responsbility. Unfortunately the well-intentioned statly measures do destroy exactly that awareness, suggesting that technics overtake.
IMHO any penny invested in driver´s training classes is a much, much better investion in comparision to the costs for technical survellance.
Sorry Martyn for highfacking your treat. I´m keen on your opinions. Best regards!
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 02:59:51 pm
*raises hand*

What are we voting on?  ;)

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 03:11:39 pm
If the driver's licence requirements were tightened in the United States, there would be a whole lot less morons on the road. This would make driving and riding motorcycles much safer !!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 03:50:51 pm
Per what marrtyn was asking re, putting on a "proper" muffler system in order to pass MOT which I am not  familiar in England but would think it falls more in line with a inspection on the Continent vice in the countryside of Virginia. I had read somewhere that California was in the process of  requiring the same type of validity  at inspection time and without a proper " stamp" a failure was in order...I suspect it has to do with enviormental and noise concerns..
I would think a OEM exhaust system would be grandfathered but the aftermarket stuff might be in jeopardy...

Maturin: Good article and I like the writers note - The inflationary use of the terms "security" and "safeness" has washed away most awareness, as the biggest part of customers bought a "safe" car with tons of airbags together with multiple electronic systems that will erase any driver's error.

Probably more of a reason people feel safe driving in this country while texting and talking the daily BS that goes on in ones life that day..Is it legal to drive on the autobahn and talk/text?   

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 08:01:55 pm
Germans wonder why Americans need cup holders in their cars.  Why would you try to drink something while you're busy driving?

Scott

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2012, 08:10:02 pm
Cultural differences..... the French think that the perfect breast will fit in a wine glass.

the Germans believe it should clog a toilet....  ;D

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 08:19:16 pm
Cultural differences..... the French think that the perfect breast will fit in a wine glass.

the Germans believe it should clog a toilet....  ;D

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Even if you need a magnifier  ;D
2010 G5

Walter Röhrl

DaveT

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 09:55:51 pm
The first MOT on my C5 isn't due until July 2013, I've fitted the EFI "sports" silencer which I would happily leave on for a MOT, yes it's unstamped but it does look stock & doesn't sound overly loud.....perhaps a little different with a Goldie style....can't you hunt out a classic bike friendly MOT station nearby ?? Is your Goldie really that loud ??
Is that much of a chore to swap pipes once a year ?? Obviously I don't condone such behaviour, but you can buy BS stamped plates/foil stickers on ebay for "sports" exhausts