Author Topic: Thinking About Modifications to my G5 Deluxe  (Read 4038 times)

aziai79

• Scooter
on: January 26, 2012, 04:49:25 am
Hello fellow RE owners...just got a G5 about two months ago, and am already getting the itch for mods. Was wondering if any G5 owners out there have done any of the following: bar end mirrors, upswept pipes, and/or clubman style handlebars. Pics would be much appreciated, as I'm not exactly gifted at "visualizing" how'd it turn out. Thanks in advance.

jartist

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 07:27:51 am
Check out barenekd's bike. He did all that you mentioned and it looks great: http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,7829.1305.html

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 08:25:13 am
Congrats on the bike. Many improvements are possible.
This is the Watsonian Goldie on my G5. It gives a definite performance boost, but it's LOUD! Wait until the bike's broken in....
Fitting is straightforward, but you'll need the short 10 degree bend piece from Hitchcocks - the one from Watsonian is too long and requires the front pipe to be cut - bad idea if you change your mind later. Or it can be fitted straight on without the upsweep. You'll also need a heatshield to cover the join
That's an old picture - I've since removed the saddlebags & rear rack, but retained the tool roll. Grab handle is now chrome and there's a straight crash bar and twin Stebel Magnum horns on the front.
Tyres replaced by AM26 RoadRiders - recommended if you like it a bit quick through the curves. Stock mirrors replaced by Luis American Ovals (those shown are Hitchcocks - sent back because they slip about!). Headlamp is Tribar black dot halogen.
Notice the LEDs in the pilot lights. Also fitted in the speedo lights - turn, neutral etc.
Coolest looking Royal Enfield I ever did see..... 8) ;)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 04:20:26 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:52:59 am
also consider

NGK sparkplug
18 or 19 tooth front sprocket

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 03:45:04 pm
If you like to push the Bullet a little, which is great fun as I may tell, it's a good idea to upgrade the front brake line. I'm using Hitchcock's steel pipe that improved the allready good brake even further.
You'll find a proper little flyscreen among their products aswell. Regards
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 04:21:24 pm
Headlamp is Tribar black dot halogen.
Notice the LEDs in the pilot lights. Also fitted in the speedo lights - turn, neutral etc.
Coolest looking Royal Enfield I ever did see..... 8) ;)

That's a nice looking front end. I really like the looks of that headlight.

What's your feeling on the huge directionals? That's the first thing that turned me off about my '08 AVL Classic when I saw it & the first things I removed & replaced with little bullet lights (front & rear). To me the stock directionals are just too big & too ugly to let them stay there long. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 06:10:31 pm
It gives a lot more light than the stock headlight too.

Those little bullet winkers do look a lot better than the originals. They're actually on my list of improvements for next summer.
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 06:19:08 pm
Are those the bullet lights from Nfield Gear?

How is the quality of the housing and lens?

I picked up a set of 4 of the other small bullet lights (police lights) which I haven't installed yet.

The housings are pretty light weight, and the quality is just OK.

They polish up fairly decently though.

They were cheap after all.

Caseman
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 07:12:52 pm
Are those the bullet lights from Nfield Gear?

How is the quality of the housing and lens?

Caseman

No, those are from the J&P catalog & I had them on hand. I had bought them for a harley I built in 2001 & '02 & never used them.

Quality is good. Lenses are real glass, not "plastic glass", housings are metal. I had to modify the little bullets slightly to operate two-wire (as the stock REs are). As the little bullets come, they are one-wire & complete the circuit to ground through the bracket. I ran a dedicated ground wire out of each housing & spliced them into the bike's existing ground wires. Then used nylon washers to isolate the brackets from the frame.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 07:21:51 pm
They look like they belong.

I imagine you had to extend the rears to clear the tail light housing?

Caseman
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 08:39:44 pm

Yes, details please.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 11:04:56 pm
They look like they belong.

Caseman

I did away with the stalks. They're mounted right to the rear fender frame bolts with plenty of trimmed duct tape padding on the brackets to protect the paint if I ever decide to move them up to where the little reflectors are now. Plenty of blinking light shows if your eyes are more than 3 feet off the ground. From a lifelong habit of using hand signals, I mostly forget I even HAVE directionals on the Enfield & out goes my arm. I long ago perfected making a complete left turn with my left arm stuck straight out like Billy's. "Hit Me, you bastards"!  I don't trust people to see MOTORcycles, let alone blinkers. I suppose I should use both, but, hey I'm still alive. 

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 11:17:48 pm
Thanks.  You've got the earlier style rear fender with tabs on the fender rails.  The later style like I have has bolts that go righ through the fender from the inside and into a threaded boss on the rail.  I guess it's easy enough to sandwich a little mounting bracket in there as well.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #13 on: January 28, 2012, 03:46:29 am
I mounted the bullet lights from NfieldGear on my G5.

I'm sure they are the same solid metal lights that tooseevee installed.

Unlike him, I ordered an extra set of mounting brackets that were made for the front lights and used them on the rear.  They worked perfectly for sitting the lights out just slightly beyond the flat license mounting plate.

I had some problems at first with the wiring because I believed the color stripes on the leads that went to the old lights but after finding the Real ground wire everything went fine.

Here's a link to my bullet light mounting adventure
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,11320.15.html
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012, 03:43:15 pm
I mounted the bullet lights from NfieldGear on my G5.

I'm sure they are the same solid metal lights that tooseevee installed.

Unlike him, I ordered an extra set of mounting brackets that were made for the front lights and used them on the rear.  They worked perfectly for sitting the lights out just slightly beyond the flat license mounting plate.

I had some problems at first with the wiring because I believed the color stripes on the leads that went to the old lights but after finding the Real ground wire everything went fine. 

Here's a link to my bullet light mounting adventure
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,11320.15.html

I remember reading your whole bullet light mounting adventure as it was happening & was lucky in that I avoided all the problems you had because of the way the bike was when I bought it. The out-of-business dealer who never sold my bike managed somehow to burn out EVERY bulb on the bike including the FLASHER. So after I replaced EVERY bulb on the bike I was lucky enough to have already installed a $3.50 AutoZone flasher from the get-go because the idiot even blew the OEM FLASHER. I also took the time to take the OEM flasher apart & stare dumbfounded at its internals for a while. What an overengineered piece of electronic plastic THAT thing is! The AutoZone flasher is working just fine with its little piece of clicking metal.

The other thing that I did while hooking up my little bullets was to use a tester on the wires themselves before I hooked anything up or bolted anything down. I made sure I had a blinking tester at each of the four sets of wires before I went any further.

I like the way your rears look. Maybe down the line I'll think about doing something like that on my '08 because its just another thing (the way mine are) that might give an inspection guy something to whine about. I do not even HAVE an inspection sticker yet because the bike is far from its finished break-in miles & I could not maintain the highway speeds necessary to keep from getting run over in order to just GET TO an inspection station. I just might NEVER get one.