Author Topic: Right foot shift conversion  (Read 940 times)

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 08, 2012, 04:41:13 am
I am about half way through the conversion from left to right foot shift and have run into some problems.  I asked a few questions at the yahoo site without any success. I have been following the Snidal manual and Here is my problem:
I've moved on from the detent plunger assembly to the ratchet assembly and
I found that when assembled there is alot of play of the Ratchet outer/FC plate
(63 and 62)and the adjuster plate (57). So much play that the F/C ratchet
spring (59)has enough room to slip off the spring stop (58)on the adjuster plate
(57). Is this too much play? I would think that one "ear" of the ratchet spring
(59) should be in contact with the spring stop (58) at all times. Is this true?

After looking at the gearbox for a few days I think the problem started when I installed the bush (part 44) for the "bell crank" lever (46).  According to the Snidal manual, this bush should be pressed in until it is flush with inside of the inner cover.  In fact, after looking at the original inner cover for the left foot shifter, this bush should extend approx 2mm into the gearbox side of the inner cover.  The lack of the this extra 2mm is causing the play in the ratchet assembly which inturn is causing the F/C ratchet spring (59) to slip off the spring stop (58).

One other problem is that outer cover hole where the neutral finder shaft extend through is misaligned and will need some grinding to enlarge the hole.

Anyone done the right foot shifter conversion and give me any tips?

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 02:25:42 pm
It has been a few years since I did mine but I recall replacing that same bush also.  I made mine flush and did not seem to have any issues.  I do recall that one end of the bush had a slight tapper on it and if inserted wrong this might be giving you the play you are encountering.    

I do remember that assembly being fairly intricate and taking care to put it together.  It sounds almost like your missing the second spring or another part of the assembly.   I have to go dig up my manual but if I were you I would also compare what I have to the parts book (Hitchcocks online is great).
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 02:47:08 pm
I recall the same problem when converting mine.I think the solution I found was to install the washers under the plate instead of on top. There was a problem with the bushing as you stated but with the added washers I was able to get the ratchet assy. to work properly. It has been so long since I installed the RS kit but do recall following the Snidal procedure just as you did and found a problem with the bushing protruding to far.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 07:11:06 pm
Washers under the stop plate......Why didn't I think of that?  I will let you know how it works out.  Thanks,  You guys are the best!