Author Topic: EFI Silencer/muffler Fitted ..... Problem here or not (photo)  (Read 3811 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Hi all
I fitted the EFI silencer today. Didn't take that long and was a fairly easy fit. Only  drama was fitting the single bracket to the foot peg. This was a pita to line up.
Anyway finally got it on and exhaust completely fitted started the motor which ran fine then noticed the exhaust pipe which goes into the engine is a bit to one side
See enclosed photos. Any drama if i run the bike like this.

P. Schraub

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 12:28:48 pm
Hello Wildbill,
      When I installed my EFI muffler on my G5, I had to modify the bracket where it bolts to the rear footrest. Your connection at the cylinder head should not be compromised. You don't want an exhaust leak, or any side load on the pipe. This might become a problem due to vibration. I used what ever hardware I had to, to shim the bracket, and also had to drill another mounting hole in the bracket. That's the fun part of owning a Royal Enfield........you get to put your personal touch on any modification !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 09:13:10 pm
I put some copper crush washers and silicone sealer in mine and it gave me some flexibility as to where I need to park the pipe. Hasn't leaked, yet,and seems quite comfortable.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

aikischmid

• Scooter
Alright - I just ordered one of these, so if you just installed yours in January - that hopefully means they're not on backorder til August or anything! Can't wait to get mine installed!
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Hi all
I fitted the EFI silencer today. Didn't take that long and was a fairly easy fit. Only  drama was fitting the single bracket to the foot peg. This was a pita to line up.
Anyway finally got it on and exhaust completely fitted started the motor which ran fine then noticed the exhaust pipe which goes into the engine is a bit to one side
See enclosed photos. Any drama if i run the bike like this.

Hey Bill,

Just ignore me if you already did this BUT

Whenever you put on a different muffler with different brackets you've got to loosen the connections at the engine. Then you loosely fit up your new muffler & modify the bracket(s) as necessary to fit right. Then you've got to tighten up slowly starting at the engine & as you tighten up you have to make sure that the pipe lines up as it wants to at the engine & if the brackets then need further mods to keep the stress out when you tighten them then you've got to do that. The fit at the engine with no stress is the most important. Then you modify the bracket(s) so they also tighten up with no stress.

It looks like when you tightened your muffler to pipe connection, then your muffler bracket(s) it pulled the engine connection out of alignment (putting stress into that connection).

I would (1) loosen Everything; (2) Tighten (not FINAL tight) your engine connections; (3) Tighten your muffler to pipe clamp; (4) Then see how much out of line your bracket(s) is & shim or mod it so that it fits up with no stress; (5) THEN final tighten the engine nuts allowing that connection to "go where it wants to fit"; (6) THEN Final tighten the bracket(s) & clamp.

Like I said, if you did this, just ignore me javascript:void(0);

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
thanks, good tip . i will follow your advise when i put the efi back on. my head pipe seal on one side looked a bit damaged/crushed so i ordered another two seals.
when the efi is back on the bike i plan to renew these.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams

Like I said, if you did this, just ignore me javascript:void(0);

Why didn't my smiley thing work? Guess I just don't know how to move them ?  :)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
thanks, good tip . i will follow your advise when i put the efi back on. my head pipe seal on one side looked a bit damaged/crushed so i ordered another two seals.
when the efi is back on the bike i plan to renew these.

Always order two!  That's my motto.  You just know you'll waste the first one 'learning' ;)

Scott

dick_deck

• Scooter
Hey, once you get it all set, can you let me know what you think? I've been thinking about getting one of these, but I'm curious about the sound. A review on nfieldgear mentions some "burn through" also.

So basically, could you ride the s%&t out of your bike, and report back?  ;D

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
I've got about 7000 miles on my EFI. Still works great, no "burn-throughs" although it does have a variety of colors on it. ;)
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

aikischmid

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:44:54 am
Good to know bare! I ordered mine a few days ago, but just got word that it's on the dreaded "BACKORDER". Hopefully they'll get some in relatively soon!
2011 Royal Enfield G5 Classic, British Racing Green

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 01:43:56 pm
dick_deck

Do it. 

You will be more than satisfied with the sound and look and increased performance. (not a super increase in performance, but definitely noticeable)
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

dick_deck

• Scooter
Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 05:18:15 pm
Awesome, good to hear TCP! Thanks!