Author Topic: G5 Classic VS C5 Chrome  (Read 8328 times)

foggy95

• Bulleteer
on: January 22, 2012, 12:30:46 am
Still lurking here and have become very undecided as to which Bullet pulls me in the most. Right now, I'm torn between the G5 Classic (in green) and the C5 Chrome, (in black).

For the G5, I really like the green with the gold pin stripes, but not too crazy about the side covers and chrome bun warmers. Can someone tell me if the side covers and bun warmers are metal or plastic? I do prefer the 19" wheels of the G5 over the 18" inchers of the C5. Just looks right to me. Also, I get the impression after reading many posts here that the G5 is probably a little more stable (less twitchy) at higher speeds due to larger wheels, frame geometry, etc.

For the C5, that black/chrome is very flashy, (maybe a little too much chrome, I would probably replace the chrome battery cover and chrome air cleaner cover with black items). I do like the black/chrome striped fenders, and the C5 for some reason, has slightly more attractive engine covers, right and left side.

G5 can be had for significantly less money, (2011 leftover)  but those savings really mean little spread out over the period of ownership - so that is a factor, but a small one. No big hurry here in SE PA, just shoveled 4 inches of snow out of the drive, and it's 28 f. Not riding anytime soon.

I would not heavily modify the bike, probably go with the EFI muffler, and solo seat (if I got the G5).  Maybe classic looking bags at some point.

Advice/opinions/thoughts anyone?  Main question here is plastic or metal on those G5 covers.... Thanks all!

Oh - this will be used strictly as a back roads, sunny Sunday, type rider, I've got a Guzzi 1200 Sport for the high speed/highway stuff.
Chester County, PA
2023 Triumph Bonneville T120

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 01:27:19 am
All of the sidecovers are metal, just like in the good old days.

The only plastic parts I've found are the turn signals body and lenses and the headlight nacelle (casquette?) seems to be made out of something like fairly thick Bakelite. 

On the G5 the right sidecover houses the air cleaner and the hot dog warmer behind it contains the tool kit.
On the left side the sidecover covers the battery and the fuses.  The hot dog warmer behind it contains 3 relays.  One is for the turn signals, one is for the fuel pump and I'm not sure what the other one is.

The computer is under the front of the seat.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 01:48:06 am
The nacelle is metal, not plastic.  Not sure exactly what.

Have you ridden both bikes?  They feel very different.  The G5 is very stable, the C5 is more agile and turns more quickly.  Test ride them both, that may make your decision right there.

Scott

BRADEY

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 09:07:55 am
In terms of performance they are both same. However ride quality is different on each. 19 incher is more stable but less agile, and is almost like a HD Sportster.
In my opinion a bike is meant to be ridden, hence you must see which one is more comfortable for you. In my opinion the C5 is less of a touring bike with its present seats setup, and more of a city bike, great looker and attention drawer et al !! so check what you want. they are both very cool !!  ;D

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 11:43:19 am
To add some confusion I'd like to mention the B5, it's available for considerably less money and offers a performance similar to the G5. No wurst-holders, but the old classic Bullet frame instead, with plenty of aftermarket parts as an option. What about that, Foggy? Best regards.
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 03:41:22 pm
Thanks for the replies guys. Since my initial post on this topic, I've spent hours reading past messages in this "Bullets with UCE Engine Category". I've learned a lot and most, if not all my questions have been covered along the way.

Test ride: unfortunately, probably not gonna happen. Nearest dealer (45 miles) is located in center city Philadelphia. Extremely congested city streets, and very limited bikes on hand (a C5 chrome/red and the B5). He's primarily a scooter dealer.

B5 - yes, I was aware of that model as my local dealer has one available. Initially, I wasn't too impressed with it as the chrome/red C5 parked near it just grabbed all my attention. (Sort of like the sweet young thing down the road, but you know you're better off with the wife) ;)

With all my reading and research, I think it's down to either the B5, or the G5 Classic. If the B5 could be fitted with the pin-striped tank of the G5 Classic, I think that would do it for me. (Not too keen on that Bollywood tank badge - and that solid brass one, while being an option, is a bit too bulky)

Each series has it's pros and cons making a choice very difficult. In my favor, we're iced in here and riding season is 2-3 months away, in that time I'll probably change my mind a dozen times anyway.

I did go back in the board here and found the survey and voted for the B5. I was a bit surprised that the B5 was the 'winner' by a large margin. I do like the fact that the B5 uses the most 'traditional' frame and has such a wide variety of accessories. And as many have said, that frumpy rear fender does sort of grow on you.

I'll continue to lurk and maybe jump in every now and again, when I do finally pull the trigger, I'll be sure to make it known!
Chester County, PA

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 03:56:31 pm
B5 all the way.
Next to the real thing, it's the next best thing ;).
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 04:04:40 pm
The B5 is cheap and cool.  The tank badges will grow on you just like the fender did.  I believe they are the company's oldest style badge.  If you still dont like them find something creative to cover the screw holes and use the money you saved to get the tank striped any way you like.

Scoty

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 09:36:08 pm
The B5 can take a solo seat and rack ... here is my B5 with a trials style seat (plus upswept and engine bars):

As far as the Bollywood badges go they unscrew leaving two small threaded holes. It would not be too hard to fill those holes and apply a vinyl Enfield tank logo.

Another alternative would be to use the Interceptor style tank badges.

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 11:44:19 pm
It may be worthwhile checking out the dealer who is just across the border (from the scooter folks) in Delaware. They are a car dealer who also sell RE's, so they act like a car dealer. If you can put up with that then they may let you take one of their bikes for a ride. They had an older green G5 available a while back, but I don't know if it is still there.

If you go for a B5 then you can get the tank etc painted any colour you want with the money you save - even a proper British Racing Green.  8)

The nearest dealer to me is the one in Philly, at 130 miles and a bunch of tolls, but I ended up driving to Chicago to get the one I wanted. It was well worth it. Great bike.  :)
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 01:16:41 am
idk - Thanks for the reply and thoughts. I think you mean the dealer across the river in New Jersey (the only Delaware dealer is 138 miles away in southern Delaware).

Yes, the NJ dealer is primarily a used car dealer. I was there a year and a half ago when he had 4 bikes on the floor. He still has two of those 4 bikes left, one of them being the green G5 Classic. I was not impressed with them, no one I was able to talk to knew anything about the bikes, or motorcycles in general. One of the lads on this forum purchased a bike there and has received very shabby treatment. On that basis alone, I count them out for any purposes.

On the other hand, the shop in Philly was ultra friendly, knew their product well, and are riders of the marque themselves. Plus, they are only 42 miles from my house, (albeit some of that mileage is miserable, congested, city traffic).

I'm leaning about 90/10 toward the B5 at this point. Lots of possibilities with accessories for that one, it's got the 19" wheels I want, classic side covers, nicer engine cases, etc. I could probably grow fond of the Bollywood tank badge over time as well. It is sort of art decco.

Don't think I'll be making a move until the March/April time frame when things thaw out and I could ride one home from Philly, if I end up buying from them. Meanwhile, I'll keep reading all I can and collecting pictures off the web as I already have quite a collection to glean ideas from.
Chester County, PA

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 01:50:57 am
Based on the pictures in my copy of "ROYAL ENFIELD- By Miles The Best", those art deco tank badges first showed up in 1953.

They were used on all of the 350cc and larger displacement models.
By 1959 they were pretty much gone.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 02:16:20 am
Based on the pictures in my copy of "ROYAL ENFIELD- By Miles The Best", those art deco tank badges first showed up in 1953.

They were used on all of the 350cc and larger displacement models.
By 1959 they were pretty much gone.

From what I can work out, the UK 1950's badges were heavier and made of brass and given a substantial chrome plating.  The Indian version are a thinner "tin plate" copy with color added.

1955 Bullet ...

Someone should suggest to Chennai they fit chrome plated brass badges to the export B5's.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 02:19:32 am by GlennF »

bebopper

• Scooter
  • Military G-5
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 03:23:24 am
   If you ride in the rain, I'd think twice about a bike with chrome. At least on mine, anything that can rust will. Quickly.

foggy95

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 03:29:08 am
Glenn - looks like Hitchcocks has a process wherein they 'remake' the tank badge for a little more quality and looks almost identical to you posted picture (page 169)

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1v6rq/Hitchcocksmotorcycle/resources/index.htm?referrerUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com%2Fnews%2F23747%2FHitchcocks_Catalogue_2012

Chester County, PA