Author Topic: My 1st oil change - not impressed!  (Read 5591 times)

palace15

• Bulleteer
on: January 21, 2012, 07:03:14 pm
I stated sometime ago on another thread that I had purchased a C5 for touring, today I gave it an oil change, and as stated I am not impressed, why? On previous bikes I have used for touring, BMW and Japanese, to change the oil just required the undoing of a sump bolt and possibly a couple of filter bolts, but on the Enfield there is a sump bolt with 'little' meat on it plus a total of 5 x 8mm bolts, along with a number of 'O' rings, gaskets etc. And to be quite honest this is not a job I relish doing when out on the road somewhere. Is it just me that thinks that a bit more thought could have been put into this when this engine was designed?
BTW, the youtube tutorial by Singh5g is excellant for showing how to do the oil and filter change.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:51:18 am by palace15 »
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

Maturin

• Grand Gearhead
  • My Precious
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 08:16:00 pm
The old BMW airheads do actually have quite a similar arangement only without the oil sieve. On the other hand you have to push the long filter element into it´s place right below the cylinder and exaust, and I burned myself countless times and sweared at this great example of German engineering.
The filter cap arrangement of the earlier RE-caps was indeed catastrophic, but luckily my mule was equipped with the newer version and I only kno the old puzzle because my dealer showed it to me.
So nothing to worry about, only thing that really bothered me was to find out the correct oil level, and this procedure could be indeed easier. Regards
2010 G5
A Garage without a Bullet is a empty, barren hole.

When acellerating the tears of emotion must flow off horizontally to the ears.
Walter Röhrl

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 02:05:24 am
Unless one of the O rings is hardened from old age or damaged because someone tried to remove it there is no need to worry about them.

They do not need to be removed.  Just be careful when working the filter cover O ring back into the bore.

As I recall, my BMW K-75 also used an O ring on its filter cover and if someone wants to talk about a PITA, without a special filter cartridge wrench there was no way to replace the oil filter on it.

IMO, the RE (with the retained filter pressure relief valve) is much simpler.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

rockndave

• Scooter
  • "THMPA"
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 12:56:56 am
I likewise just did my first oil change . There were definitely a lot of things to undo!  Like Arizoni said, though, I didn't see the need to replace all the O-rings.   They looked fine, so why bother.   i WAS amazed at all the crap that came out of the sump.The strainer was completely covered with gunk.   Almost looked like somebody left part of a rag in there.   Magnets were full of filings, but I expected that from previous posts.   Sure hope the next change at 600 miles is a little cleaner.   Oil level does seem to be a problem, I only put in (2) qts. and the level still fell above the full line.  I did the rock side to side deal, too, to try and get all the old oil out.
2010 Royal Enfield Black G-5 Classic, "THMPA"
1998 Kawasaki 1000ZG Concours
1963 Vespa 150 VBB

"The mouth of a perfectly happy man is filled with Beer."-Ancient Egyptian  Proverb

indyogb

• .22 Bulleteer
  • Scooter
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 04:27:36 am
My first oil change was also an eye opener.  It didn't help that the filter kit came with what I assume are o-rings for other models as well as the correct ones.  Does anyone know of a spin on type filter adapter for the UCE (or if one is in the works)?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 05:20:23 am
They would have to redesign the entire right side of the engine to provide an interface for a spin on filter.

I could design a plug that would fit into the existing filter cavity and provide for an "oil out" and an "oil in" connection (if I had a fully dimensioned drawing of the existing side cover) but the "oil out" and "oil in" lines would clutter up that area of the engine.  There would also need to be a separate oil filter cartridge mounted somewhere.  These are already available for automobiles but they are rather large and bulky.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 05:14:57 pm
Try changing oil on some of the sport bikes out there. RE's are a piece of cake. You also have the added benefit of being able to examine and clean the strainer.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 06:44:24 pm
The strainer was completely covered with gunk.   Almost looked like somebody left part of a rag in there.

It seems many first oil changes reveal little bits of blue shop rag.  I guess someone at the factory is leaving some shop towel behind from time to time.

Scott

SimonT

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 12:15:45 am
are you guys serious...?
The RE is a piece of cake... oil and filter can be changed in like 15mins.

My other bike is a full fairing bike... thats messy and hard. but still not too bad. The biggest problem with it is the lack of centre stand. the oil needs to go straight down out of the sump plug to go through the hole in the fairing below it... fun fun...

maybe ive been conditioned to hard oil changes. ive owned 4 cylinders in the past, and my current car is a RX8 rotary... they are quite pokey to get around especially to get the old filters off.

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 10:28:16 pm
are you guys serious...?
The RE is a piece of cake... oil and filter can be changed in like 15mins.

My other bike is a full fairing bike... thats messy and hard. but still not too bad. The biggest problem with it is the lack of centre stand. the oil needs to go straight down out of the sump plug to go through the hole in the fairing below it... fun fun...

My xj900 required me to unbolt the headers for the 4 to 1 pipes and drop them off the engine just to get at the oil filter. The Enfield is a breeze in comparison.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 11:13:39 pm
i use to have that problem but that was taken care of with the jardine kit....
Oh Magoo you done it again

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 11:57:04 pm
i use to have that problem but that was taken care of with the jardine kit....
Excuse my British ignorance, What is a jardine kit, any links?
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 30, 2012, 12:05:32 am
oil filter  relocation kit....jardine manufactuer was the one i purchased.Their are one or two other companies that make them....yamaha's  were notorious for needing them as they made changing the oil filter a PIA ( as u r aware) ......
Oh Magoo you done it again

MegaMoo

• Scooter
  • Thumping in Paradise
Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 04:52:15 am
I just did my first oil change today too on my C5. The video from Singh was really helpful to visualise how it all fits together (either on YouTube or http://wn.com/Oil_Change_in_UCE_EFI_Royal_Enfield_G5_Motorcycle).

I also had Pete Snidal's manual close at hand which helped. It's a good read for any other newbies out there, some good general tips on maintaining the UCE Enfields.
http://www.enfield.20m.com/ucbuy.htm

It took me a while as I had to keep running back inside to get all the bits I had forgotten and also just took my time getting to know it all. The only mistake I made was tightening the filter cover screws too much and broke one of them. Doh!! Luckily I could still get the screw out but now have to wait for another one before I can ride again!

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 05:11:27 am
That should be a metric screw so if you take the threaded part to the local hardware store they should be able to match it.

Try to get a replacement that is the same length as the broken one.
If your new screw is a hex head you will be back in business.
If all you can get is a round head screw that will work but keep an eye on it.
You won't be able to tighten it up to the 4 ft/lbs torque that is recommended so it may vibrate loose.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 01:40:19 pm
Seems like a common problem this snapping of the oil filter screw or cracking of the cover.

I've always used the snug only plus a tad more rule.  So far it has never failed or caused a failure.

Caseman
The Caseman

"Neither rain nor snow nor sleet nor hail
will keep me from riding unless I can't make bail"

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF
2011 Royal Enfield C5 Classic Chrome

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 02:42:47 pm
Seems like a common problem this snapping of the oil filter screw or cracking of the cover.

I've always used the snug only plus a tad more rule.  So far it has never failed or caused a failure.

Caseman
A bit of blue threadlocker will help you sleep better knowing that the screw will not come loose.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: January 30, 2012, 03:10:39 pm
Ah.  The magic blue elixer.

Caseman
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF

idk

• Bulleteer
Reply #18 on: January 30, 2012, 03:38:42 pm
TCP, your description of 4 ft/lbs as snug plus a tad more is about as good as it gets. Make sure you use a metric tad though.  ;)
Ego iustus volo meus motorcycle equitare

TCP

• Caseman
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #19 on: January 30, 2012, 04:23:08 pm
Is that a tad more or a tad less in metric?
The Caseman

1969 Triumph T120R
1972 Triumph T120R OIF