Author Topic: Milk's 03 Bullet dual sport build  (Read 57769 times)

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #180 on: September 12, 2013, 09:12:36 pm
Wow, Milk, I like the LED tail light.  I will go back through your pages and check on the pics from earlier posts.  I had to take a break for a while because I discovered that I was going to have to dismantle my RE a little farther than first thought.  Also been dealing with mechanically challenged lady friends problems too.  My plastic tail light reflector lasted all of 150 miles before it fell off.  I held it on with some wire until I bought a later model tail light bracket.  Only problem it fits the square rear fender instead of the round rear fender.  I'm looking for another solution.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #181 on: October 01, 2013, 08:36:51 pm
Ok guys. Hello there all.

So, the trip was a modest success, but with a few failures that bring me to a turning point. My enfield did in fact bring me home. Which is awesome. I did have a lot of fun riding it down and back. I love the bike.

But I just don't think it's going to do what I want it to.

So, post trip, I have a major knock that's developed, at mid rpms only. Not at idle or lower rpms.  Sounds like in the crank. I suspect it's the crank/bearings letting go. Which is fine, as it was a known weakness and an expected fix. It is parked now until I can pull the head to try and verify that it's not a piston slap problem. Also, on the trip, I managed to drown the carbeurator in a heavy rain storm (ie, water made it through the aircan and into the system). Pulled the carb and cleaned it, but the ease with which it drowned is disconcerting. Was considering the idea of a snorkel up under the seat somewhere.

Major problem though, was oil usage. I used 3 quarts in 800 miles. It was burning, not leaking. I am wondering if I did a crappy job of building it, or if there is just no getting around that this bike is going to use oil when doing 60 mph or more. It's an Ace piston and barrel, and I very carefully put together the scraper rings and gapped them all. So if it's just a weakness of the old design of the engine that can't be controlled, then I might need to just go to a different bike for what I am looking to do.

For the record, it shed heat reasonably well. I had a few hard starts, but nothing I couldn't get it going from. I loved the way it carried the luggage.

But I'm considering selling it as it sits (with a spare blown crank ready to sent for work). And moving on to some design built enduro machine. I'm just not sure.....and of course, I'm known for not being able to make up my mind and whinging around down here on this thread.

Thoughts?
-Milk

2003 Royal Enfield Military
2009 Genuine Blackjack - MrsMilk's ride

I'm trying to make my Enfield an adventure machine:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12951.0.html

Ever want to ride a scooter to Canada??
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690259

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #182 on: October 01, 2013, 08:41:47 pm
Wow, Milk, I like the LED tail light.  I will go back through your pages and check on the pics from earlier posts.  I had to take a break for a while because I discovered that I was going to have to dismantle my RE a little farther than first thought.  Also been dealing with mechanically challenged lady friends problems too.  My plastic tail light reflector lasted all of 150 miles before it fell off.  I held it on with some wire until I bought a later model tail light bracket.  Only problem it fits the square rear fender instead of the round rear fender.  I'm looking for another solution.

Brother Buckeroo,

I can say now that this tail light was a very good replacement. My friends said it was intensely visible and very eye catching. So I would recommend it if you're still looking for a solution.

Be safe. :)
-Milk

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #183 on: October 01, 2013, 09:27:20 pm
The break-in of the rings and bore is important to have done before any long distance riding is attempted.
At least 1000 miles of break-in, and verifying that the rings are sealing and almost no oil usage happening, would be the normal procedure. Then, going on the trip should show no problems.

I don't know what break-in procedure you used, but if it was showing no oil use before you left for the trip, then I wouldn't expect oil usage to increase during the trip.

Home of the Fireball 535 !

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #184 on: October 01, 2013, 09:35:31 pm
Hello Ace!

I had well over 1000 miles pre trip. And I was showing signs of oil usage prior as well. Did the break in procedure as explained to me....hard accelerations and lots of engine braking. Change the oil often (I did 3 oil changes in 1100 miles).

How does one verify ring sealing? Do I pull the barrel and look?

And again, I can accept if the engine is simply going to use oil at higher rpms.

Thanks for your response. Certainly wasn't going to pester you about my little problem....it's entirely possible that I'm just a bad builder of engines....
-Milk

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #185 on: October 01, 2013, 11:33:36 pm
Well,  it should be showing good compression when tested. If that's okay,  then I would check out the breather system and be sure that the oil is not filled over half.  Typically those are the expected culprits. Very rarely will a bike start to use oil so early after break-in if the rings have already sealed. But there could be other factors involved which could contribute to the problem.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #186 on: October 02, 2013, 06:37:24 pm
Okay Ace. I'll compression check next time i have some garage time. I had a much more savvy engine builder friend come by last night. He agrees, bottom end. But not piston slap, so maybe i can make a go of this. I'll have an opportunity to see about the rings again.

As far as breather....i only keep oil to the bottom mark on my oil stick. It's 03, so correct breather nub. i have the oil cap extension on that helps with oil blowing out the breather being dropped back into oil tank. It's working quite well. I see almost no oil out the duck bill now.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to save up for the crank, i think. Even if i sell, I'd do much better with a bike not about to torpedo it's bottom end.

Anyone else with ideas?

-Milk

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #187 on: March 13, 2014, 05:27:01 pm
Ok. So I've been out of comission here for quite some time.

Good news...legal situations with ex wife over child custody issues solved very favorably out of court. That's had my attentions for a little over 4 years. Sigh. Much happier now, as are my elder trio (who are my kids with ex).

Bad news, still trying to save up the money for re-doing the bottom end. You would think it would be easier to come by, by alas, things like a van big enough to carry all 7 of us in the family have taken a lead in the budget process. :)

Also took a full time position, which eats up a fair deal of time, but steadies the income stream a bit. Been scootering pretty regularly to that (my '09 Genuine Blackjack....lots o' fun). New tires needed there shortly...about to send that scoot over 20k miles. And have a buddy who might be picking up one for the next leg of Low CC Touring. Planning on Key West if time allows (probably need 3 weeks for that).

But, I REALLY want to get the Enfield done. Once this bottom end is done with good bearings, hopefully I never split the cases again. Admittedly, this is me we're talking about, so I'll likely screw something up. But my much more motorcycle engine talented friend is going to assist me this time. Maybe we can reduce the oil burning somehow. That was the only real problem on the Baja trip...oil usage.

Anyways. Hope all is well and everyone is surviving the cold times. Be safe all.
-Milk

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #188 on: March 13, 2014, 11:16:32 pm
Noisy,I think with all you've got going on you'll be my age when you finish.   ;D  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.