Author Topic: Milk's 03 Bullet dual sport build  (Read 57774 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: March 05, 2012, 06:58:49 pm
I'm thinking I want to set up the carb to be running properly with the needle at lowest notch/richest setting here in Phoenix (900 ft I believe)....so that as i go uphill, all I have to do is lean out the needle. Yeah?

You should drop the mainjet size 1 size for every ca.3500 ft altitude change. The stock jets really get way overrich above 5000'
Lost a race at 7000 ft once just for being lazy!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #46 on: March 05, 2012, 08:17:33 pm
You should drop the mainjet size 1 size for every ca.3500 ft altitude change. The stock jets really get way overrich above 5000'
Lost a race at 7000 ft once just for being lazy!
Bare

This is good to know. So I am clear....once I get my carb dialled in....and figure out which main jet works well for where I am, I should be good on this setting by leaning out the needle up to say 4000 feet. Then i may need a new main jet, and that could cover me up to say 7500 feet....then next leaner up to say 11k feet. Is my thinking clear?

Keeping in mind that main jet is only for 3/4 to WOT. Hmmm...perhaps I am overthinking this.  ??? ::)

I don't need serious performance at all altitudes, and I don't want to be futzing with the carb 3 times a day while traveling. Just looking for rules of thumb. Thanks..
-Milk

2003 Royal Enfield Military
2009 Genuine Blackjack - MrsMilk's ride

I'm trying to make my Enfield an adventure machine:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12951.0.html

Ever want to ride a scooter to Canada??
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690259

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #47 on: March 05, 2012, 08:18:49 pm
i have had good results with an inder trailer.  had a hitch made for my triumph. ( abour 5 inches longer than the enfield hitch it came with) and took it from wis to BC. washington and oregon5518 miles. at one point a small wobble that that a thin little shim fixed  was the only problem.my triumph with the inder is my long distance ride now .                                       

That's really good to know. Especially since they have come down considerably in cost since first released.

How are they for weather resistance?
-Milk

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #48 on: March 05, 2012, 11:22:38 pm
Hey Milk,

About performance carbs
 Many folks experience a decrease in fuel economy with them but it is not the fault of the carb. Its using that extra umph on tap more often that does it.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #49 on: March 05, 2012, 11:52:38 pm
Milk:
If your curious, Phoenix is at 1200 feet, Tempe is at 1400 feet and Mesa is at about 1600 feet elevation.

You might want to check on the load carrying capacity of the trailer to make sure your wifes weight doesn't overload it.  :D ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #50 on: March 16, 2012, 07:16:19 am
Alrighty then!

Got a few more pieces of the puzzle in place tonight.

Say bye bye to the stock carb and hello to the PWK30:

Picked this up from a forum brother. Thanks so much! OH.... it was the one that came with the flange mount attached to it. Seemed like it was JB welded on, and I didn't like it at all...placement all off and stuff, and I just wanted to mount it like the old. So, get out the plumbing torch and start burning stuff. A few minutes later and some whacks of the hammer and voila!:

gave it all a good cleaning, dropped it on the bike, and went for a spin. Immediate first impressions:
1. Idle is seeking and drifting a bit. Perhaps I need to adjust the float height some. Interwebs says 19-22 mm with carb upside down, touching but not compressing the needle. Sound right?

2. jets.....Pilot 38, Main 122. Thoughts on what I ought to purchase for the sake of dialling in? (shorty sausage muffler, straight thru header, ace aircan) From info I can find, my main seems a little lean and pilot a little rich. There is a pretty good hesitation at roll on sometimes.

3. the extra power is a nice little kick in the pants for sure. Butt dyno says 1 or 2 horsepower just putting this on. Wonder what MPG will look like. :)

OH! and another forum brother has hooked me up with a replacement for my rattle-y shorty sausage muffler....with another just like it, only actually pretty!

Not gonna put it on til I am able to get my header done at Jet Hot here in Tempe.

Think thats it for now.

Be safe all.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:07:55 pm by noisymilk »
-Milk

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #51 on: March 16, 2012, 07:27:43 am
Oh yeah....and a pic for Chumma if he ever comes to look here. He sold me this some time ago to help keep me cool out here in the desert, and asked how it turned out.

I neglected to ever send him a photo....but here's an oil cooler. Soon to be replaced with his screw on filter kit.

There you go man.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 08:08:30 pm by noisymilk »
-Milk

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #52 on: March 16, 2012, 10:46:08 am
Good job on the flange.

You could try a 125, I found that with the 122 it ran fine but in the summer once the temps got over 90 it would have a hint of a rich chug at wot.   Gave me the impression it was a tad rich which is a good thing.  Pulled the jug and piston and the piston looked black on top but there did not seem to be any heat damage and was in good shape.
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #53 on: March 16, 2012, 09:32:14 pm
" 2. jets.....Pilot 38, Main 122. Thoughts on what I ought to purchase for the sake of dialling in? (shorty sausage muffler, straight thru header, ace aircan) From info I can find, my main seems a little lean and pilot a little rich. There is a pretty good hesitation at roll on sometimes.
3. the extra power is a nice little kick in the pants for sure. Butt dyno says 1 or 2 horsepower just putting this on. Wonder what MPG will look like. Smiley "

at 670' elevation with a K&N filter and Drilled thru silencer I was
running a 25 pilot and 125main. still a little rich but not enuff to foul a plug.
  As far as mpg's...  you'll prolly drop to about 50mpg. mostly cause it
  is so much fun to twist that sucker!!

- Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #54 on: March 16, 2012, 10:12:59 pm

Hey Milk!
Project's looking good brother. Glad that oil cooler will be getting some use. I'm around here when I can though I regretfully don't post as often as I should.  It's been a busy, rewarding year, and i haven't allowed myself to really sit down and think about it much... steady working. These days It seems my hands are constantly wrapped around another engine and my brain around another design/goal.   
Well today's my birthday so I've taken a day off. It's been great to read and follow your project. The LJ revival also had me reading through his old posts which reminded me how good ole honest dialogue (and honest bickering) made this (virtual) place so substantial and relevant to us all.

Keep us posted!
Chumma
Oh yeah....and a pic for Chumma if he ever comes to look here. He sold me this some time ago to help keep me cool out here in the desert, and asked how it turned out.

I neglected to ever send him a photo....but here's an oil cooler. Soon to be replaced with his screw on filter kit.

There you go man.
ACE Fireball 001

chumma7

• Bulleteer
Reply #55 on: March 16, 2012, 10:34:37 pm
Almost forgot: A big fat WOWZAAAAA!! to us all on the start of another spring! Keep the rubber down people!
ACE Fireball 001

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #56 on: March 17, 2012, 07:00:19 pm
Digressing a bit here.

Chumma,
Your WOWZAAAAA!! reminds me of Br. Cabo and the conversations we had.

Made me smile without any sadness. The torch have been passed to you at least in my mind.

Back to the thread.

Milk, your mileage should either be un affected or slightly improve with the more efficient flat slide IF you maintain the same acceleration curve and riding style as before.

Making often use of the now freed up ponies ( who can resist  ;D ) will decrease the numbers somewhat depending on frequency and degree of usage of the right wrist.

I know that you know this but am mentioning it for the benefit of our friends and curious lurkers.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #57 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:01 pm
Hey Chumma!!!!

Happy birthday brother. Sorry it took me a few days....i get sidetracked with life every once in a while as well.

I too have been enjoying re reading LJ's stuff....quite a thinker, that guy. :)

Hope it was a good one.
-Milk

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #58 on: March 20, 2012, 10:49:52 pm
Alrighty, so my first day with the PWK30 didn't go so well.

I was needing to make  trip to Flagstaff (about 400 mile round trip). So I figured I would just go for it. However, within 5 miles of getting on the highway, I pulled off and put the stock Mikcarb back on (carried it with me as backup).

Symptoms:

-Idle is ALLLL over the place. Sometimes fast, then correct it, then stalling, then correct it, then too fast. Also, air screw adjustments appear to have little effect.

-At highway speeds, I felt like it was running out of fuel. This tells me my float is set wrong, correct? Am checking that today.

That said, my stocker is running perfectly, as it has for the last year and a half. But, I still want to try the flatslide some more, as SOOO many people report good things from it.

Oh, and i wouldn't say air leak problems in my airflow, because dropping Mikcarb back in yielded perfect idles and the expected rollon/rolloff behavior it always has.

Br Baird: a 25 pilot? Where did you find it? All my research says 35 is the smallest to be found for this carb??? I have one of them on order, and located a 128 main to go along with the 122 I currently have.

So that brings the inventory to :
Mains - 122 and 128
Pilots - 35 (soon) and 38
clip - second from bottom (second from richest setting)

Just need a little free time to go do plug chops. Oh, and try to find a frickin hill here in the desert to do WOT tests on. :)

Next on the list...the oil filter. And an oil change.

Be safe all.
-Milk

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #59 on: March 21, 2012, 01:44:40 pm

" Br Baird: a 25 pilot? Where did you find it? All my research says 35 is the smallest to be found for this carb??? I have one of them on order, and located a 128 main to go along with the 122 I currently have. "

I went to my local YamaZuki dealer and talked to the part guy. Take one with you to
match up....  tell him yer looking for Keihin jets... same as the PWK
       most likely for a snowmobile.
                          - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill