Author Topic: Milk's 03 Bullet dual sport build  (Read 57799 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #165 on: June 04, 2013, 02:13:48 am
Your out of your mind.
I've ridden the Phoenix to LA route several times on my BMW and it's a total bitch!
During the daylight hours, mile after mile of hot wind blasting you with no sign of water or civilization except the cages and semi's blowing past at 85 mph.

The Beemer didn't have a problem with the speed but on a RE you'd have to have a death wish to ride there.

Night riding is no better.  Almost as hot.  Just as far and the cages and semi's won't be able to see you until your under their bumper.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #166 on: June 04, 2013, 02:22:08 pm
You can get one of those camel back water backpacks.  Stay hydrated...

Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #167 on: June 18, 2013, 07:50:18 pm
Your out of your mind.

Yes, I am. :) But alas, I did have to pass on riding across the desert in the heat. Given that I was heading towards a working situation, I didn't have time for there to be a breakdown. Kind of glad I chose that path....even my Honda's AC had some trouble keeping up with the heat out there.

Not much to report. Desert heat makes me not want to go outside, much less go ride. Garage is too hot for fettling. Trying to save up money for the crank and bearings this fall.

Happy note, a friend and I are going to do a shakedown ride later this fall. Him on a venerable old KLR, me on the Enfield. Maybe Socal desert ride, maybe down into Baja, only about 4 days so still currently making plans. But I am hopeful.

Sadly, it appears Google has changed their picture tactics, and all my photos have disappeared from my thread. Sigh.

Ok. Be safe all. I'm holing up against the heat.
-Milk

2003 Royal Enfield Military
2009 Genuine Blackjack - MrsMilk's ride

I'm trying to make my Enfield an adventure machine:
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12951.0.html

Ever want to ride a scooter to Canada??
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=690259

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #168 on: June 19, 2013, 04:30:23 am

Happy note, a friend and I are going to do a shakedown ride later this fall. Him on a venerable old KLR, me on the Enfield. Maybe Socal desert ride, maybe down into Baja, only about 4 days so still currently making plans. But I am hopeful.

Old route 66 segments, past 29 Palms (Past ghost town Kelso and the massive Kelso Dunes, through Amboy and past Amboy Crater and across Lead Mountian, around the Marine base) to Joshua Tree National Monument?  You can ride some unpaved stuff in JT like Geology Tour Road, do some camping, stay at the 29 Palms Inn. (wierd funky place where all the fashion crews stay when shooting magazine layouts in the desert...)  Maybe head south through JT to Palm Springs, or continue up the back way (through Victorville) to Big Bear?

From Palm Springs, Hwy 74 is nice, go through Idlywild, back down, then back up along the Ortega Hwy segment of 74 to Orange County.

Or through NM up to Durango??

(Can you tell I'm missing the US?  Why did I ever leave?!)

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #169 on: June 19, 2013, 06:06:42 am
29 Palms and Joshua Tree!  There are lots of neat things to see: Old mines, ponds with fish in the middle of rock outcroppings in the desert, Painted Valley on the way over to Palm Springs, the ugly Wind Farm,  and a place you can observe the San Andreas Fault Line.  Yep, it looks like a line in the ground from the mountains.  I used to love that area when I was young and wore green.  Like someone said, take water, plenty of water.
'07 Iron Barrel Military (Deceased 14 September, 2013)
2014 Yamaha Bolt R Spec V-Twin
1975 XLCH

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #170 on: June 19, 2013, 07:26:07 am
the ugly Wind Farm, 

Watch out near between the Hwy 62/I-10 junction and the pass to Morongo Valley...when you turn to the north-south direction, the wind can blow you clear off the road.  (You'll no doubt notice all the big white War of the Worlds mills indicating the direction of the wind...)

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #171 on: June 19, 2013, 05:24:52 pm
Br's AgentX and D the D,

All those are awesome suggestions. I do like riding up in that area a lot. Desert Center is such s funny little town, and Joshua Tree forest down to the Indio area is also very very cool. Desert dwellers make for interesting people.

Wouldn't mind trying some Death Valley too, possibly, given the time constraints.

We are also considering trying the Wiley's Well road/Bradshaw trail dirt section all the way into Slab City past the gunnery ranges that are apparently out there. Or just hop the back highways down to Puerto Penasco and around to the Baja Peninsula for a bit of beach camping/fish tacos.

But before that happens, I have just settled with my elder trio (whom I share custody with their mom, and whom are coming for my half of summer soon). We will do one overnight motorcycle camping trip each this summer up to a free camp ground where the 89 meets Lake Mary Road up by Flagstaff that I like a lot. So, very excited for that as well.

If I ever get the energy to do some work....gonna try a suggestion Chumma gave me on the weeping of oil where my oil filter plumbs back into the rocker feed lines. I flared the ends, but still get some weeping there. He says he had success using some shrink wrap to bring the diameter up to match the flexible oil line I used off the filter housing. Thats the only leaking I'm getting anywhere, which is awesome for this old british designed territory marker. I almost don't want to take is apart to do the crank for that reason.

I suppose I can figure out how to put it back together again as well as I did last time. :)

Be safe all.
-Milk

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #172 on: July 30, 2013, 03:54:58 am
Howdy all,

Still in the heat of the summer here. Between that, second half of summer with my elder trio, and expecting child number 5 any day now, I haven't been doing much riding.

However, I have a small trip planned and in the books. Second week of September (while wife is on work leave for birth of #5), me and 2 other friends are going on a little shakedown ride down in Baja. Leave on a Monday morning, back by Thursday evening. I'm on the Enfield, Friend #1 on an '86 KLR (this is the same friend who loans it to me time to time), and Friend #2 on a weeStrom. So, I guess I'll be the one slowing us down. :)

No specifics yet aside from time frame. I already own a good tent and bag and camping stove and stuff. Just excited to give it a go on the Enfield. And see how she does on a nice little trip like this. Obviously the crank won't be done prior to this trip, as Ace is not yet ready for it. Think I'm just gonna ride as is (stock Mikcarb, Ace aircan, Ace 535 piston/barrel, stage 1 head). I'll save trying to CV carb work until I can do the bottom end.

I promise, I'll post a few pictures when the time comes.

Hope all is well. Ride more. Read less. Be safe.
-Milk

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #173 on: August 09, 2013, 10:58:31 am
Hey Milk !

Saddle bag

No matter where you go, there, you are.

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #174 on: August 09, 2013, 02:32:19 pm
Camping in the desert is fun.  Just have lots of water.  Pink rocks make good poker chips.
1975 XLCH

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #175 on: August 28, 2013, 02:59:57 am
Howdy Milk,
I stumbled upon your project and find it a fount of information as I am attempting to do something similar.  Many of the photos are missing and some of the links no longer work.  Since you have accomplished so much, your thread would be a great source for others working on their bikes.  Would you consider reloading the pictures and checking the links?  Perhaps you could write another thread listing all your modifications.  Good job, sir!
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #176 on: August 29, 2013, 07:54:11 pm
AW crap. Stupid google pics. Was picasa, now google+....sigh. I should have just gone with a basic pic hosting site.

Let me see what I can do. :)

......OK. I think all links have been updated. I've got a few things I've gone and done now as well. Did a few LED bulbs for my Baja ride. Got a spare every cable. Am working towards my turn signal fixes....I think they're next. :)

Be safe all. Go ride more.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:04:50 pm by noisymilk »
-Milk

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #177 on: August 30, 2013, 07:35:21 am
Thanks, I'll check them out later today.  I saw a post or blog(?) on Adventure Rider.  Do you have a page other than here where you also cover your mods?
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

noisymilk

• Bulleteer
  • Run what ya brung....
Reply #178 on: September 08, 2013, 07:20:56 am
Thanks, I'll check them out later today.  I saw a post or blog(?) on Adventure Rider.  Do you have a page other than here where you also cover your mods?

Hello there Br Buckeroo!

I try to maintain the first listing on this thread as an indicator of all mods planned and completed on the bike. I'll be modifying it shortly.

That said, Baja 2013 4 day trip commences this monday. So of course, last Wednesday the piece of crap plastic stock tail light assembly cracks and breaks for no reason whatsoever. And beyond repairing with glops of liquid nails.

So, out with the old:

And in with the new. A cool LED trailer taillight I found on superbrightleds.com. Here's there picture of it:

I know I have been saying all along I was going to do the combination trailer light/turn signal ones. But I don't have the fundage to throw down for those....this was $25....and 15 bucks second day shipping (ouch!). A little work with the nips, and it dropped right in. The factor holes drilled for positioning the old fixture (I think) were exactly the right size and spacing for these mounting posts.

Oh hey! Did some LED improvements up front as well:

All the lights in there are LED. White for ammeter and speedo backlight. Amber for turn signal. Green for neutral (which isn't working and I need to find out why...), and blue for high beam. Also replaced the whites in the pilot lights....forgot a photo.

Put a 12v outlet for charging on:

4 dollar Walmart special. I wired it in right after the ignition switch. Works just fine.

Ok. Departure Monday morning. We'll see how the old lady keeps up with the KLR and the Vstrom. Heh....They'll be waiting on me all week. :)

Be safe all.
-Milk

D the D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #179 on: September 09, 2013, 02:57:18 pm
The round taillight looks good!  I used a Ford Model A LED one.  They're so much brighter than the OE and don't deflect the Ammeter when the brakes are on.
1975 XLCH