Author Topic: a little more Vtwin news  (Read 1445 times)

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet
on: March 15, 2014, 11:06:54 am

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 12:48:52 pm
Wow.  Wonder if those new barrels could be used on the stock bikes...?  Would look funny with the second cover up on top of the tappet chest, but it'd probably be a higher-quality alternative to the alloy barrels normally found in India.

MD

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 12:53:24 pm
I think that they could be made without the adjustment galley built in.
I have some concerns about the reduction of fin area, and the interruption of the fin area where the adjustment galley blocks the airstream from the rear fins.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 01:28:56 am
On the bright side, the coefficient of thermal conduction of aluminum is about 3 times greater than the cast irons.  Actual numbers vary depending on the alloy but there's no doubt about it.  The aluminum will carry away the heat much better, even with the reduction in fin area.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 01:08:24 pm
I think that they could be made without the adjustment galley built in.
I have some concerns about the reduction of fin area, and the interruption of the fin area where the adjustment galley blocks the airstream from the rear fins.
I agree, but it might not be that bad. For instance, the vertical cyl on my Duck has it's right side totally blocked by the belt case. Somehow it works ok. But it sure doesn't look right. Maybe I'm seeing it wrong, but I don't understand why the fins are not full diameters. It appears to me that the chopped off rear fins (I presume for magdyno clearance  ) are built into that casting.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.