Author Topic: shifting problem  (Read 4694 times)

bwalls

on: April 06, 2008, 08:57:21 pm
i've posted about this before but here we go again. i have a 2002 enfield w/4 speed. i converted it back to  right side shift. while placing the inner cover on and off i accidentally removed the lay shaft. after a few tries i believe i have it back in correctly. however. i cannot shift to second gear while riding.  if i have the back wheel off the ground i can shift it through the gears with the neutral finder but not the shifter arm. does anyone have any suggestions? i know it sounds crazy but i have about 30 hrs or so into this and i'm about done with it. i know this would be simple for someone who knows transmissions but, i unfortunatley don't. i'm tempted to pull the entire trans and send it to a dealer (i don't have one close) to have them fix it. if anyone lives in the philly area and has any experience with this type of thing or knows a mechanic that would work on the bike, i'd appreciate the help.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 10:48:27 pm
It sounds like the ratchet shift mechanism needs adjusting. I've never done it but it is said to be straight forward. PM me with an email address and I'll send you the 2 files that I have on adjusting it.
                         - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

500KsGerry

• Grand Gearhead
  • Remember when decency wasn't a option?
Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 11:30:16 am
make sure the ratchet return sring  didnt break. they crack in two.  if you can get  through the gears with  the nuetral find lever then it is adjustment or a broke spring.... spring is  6 bucks and a 20 min  fix. hope you figured it  out...just  noticed  the date on the original post
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 11:35:11 am by 500KsGerry »
Modified 2001 Royal Enfield bullet 500

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 02:22:28 pm
The fact thath it will shift with the neutral finder is the definitaive test that it is assembled correctly. This is 99% a case of simple adjustment. Also check and make sure your chain is propery adjusted and that your clutch cable is adjusted "as tight as you dare". This is very important and causes a lot of the trouble with the 4 speed shifting.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 08:38:34 pm
The fact thath it will shift with the neutral finder is the definitaive test that it is assembled correctly. This is 99% a case of simple adjustment. Also check and make sure your chain is propery adjusted and that your clutch cable is adjusted "as tight as you dare". This is very important and causes a lot of the trouble with the 4 speed shifting.
Kevin, Being the lazy bum that I am, I installed only half the shift kit which I purchased years ago. My bike will up shift pretty good (well fair anyway) but is very difficult to downshift. Will installing the other half of the kit help my shifting. I thought that taking up any of the slop would help it shift.......uh....apparently not.  Thanks......Dewey.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

DonK

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 03:43:56 am
I've had problems down shifting and finding neutral with my 4 speed. It was frustrating.
I fashioned a shifter arm in place of the neutral finder and I down shift with it always.
It's like diving a stick shift, you feel it go into gear and no trouble finding neutral

.I think this will get to the pic in modifications

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/gallery/903_18_07_08_7_52_27.jpg

deejay

Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 01:06:28 pm
I've had problems down shifting and finding neutral with my 4 speed. It was frustrating.
I fashioned a shifter arm in place of the neutral finder and I down shift with it always.
It's like diving a stick shift, you feel it go into gear and no trouble finding neutral

.I think this will get to the pic in modifications

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/gallery/903_18_07_08_7_52_27.jpg

That is awesome  :)