Author Topic: Seattle Dealer Update  (Read 1514 times)

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
  • Ride carefully - You are invisible.
on: January 19, 2012, 11:55:08 pm
Okay, the very thick (and at times acrimonious) smoke has cleared enough to get more information about the status of Ducati Seattle, the only RE dealer in Seattle.

New ownership is now in charge.  Most, but not all, of the old guard is gone. 

They plan to sell the existing stock (5 bikes, I think).  General manager Don assured me by phone that they plan to service and warranty our wonderful motorcycles for a while.  He mentioned that they would be getting a date for the "handover" of the RE brand to another location and said that some discussions have taken place.

They are looking to find a second site for scooters (and maybe the Bullets) so that their site can get all the benefits from DucNA for being a single brand store.

Obviously Kevin knows this and more, but this much I can safely report here.

So there might be a deal to be had on the remaining stock for anyone thinking about it.
A Royal Enfield owner's cup is always half full.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 12:32:46 am
It sounds like they are actively looking for another nearby shop to move the REs too.  That's good.  At least they're not just abandoning the brand and leaving owners to hope that another shop picks up the brand.

Scott

GlennF

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 01:02:28 am
You know regardless of the merits of the two brands of motorcycle as bikes to ride ...

- the European economy is crashing and Italy may not be as dodgy as Greece but its not Germany either
- India on the other hand is powering ahead and people are predicting that India will be soon be competing with China to be top-dog in the world economic stakes

From a business point of view, if I was putting all my eggs in one basket and choosing Ducati or RE,  I know which company is more likely to go bottom up.

Okie Enfield

• Grease Monkey
  • RED 2010 C5
Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 08:15:36 pm
Smartly said Glenn, mind if I keep my eggs in your basket?

Sad to hear that you rainy riders lost what seemed to be an excellent dealership. Hope that someone reputable picks up the brand in town.

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:10:49 pm
All said, I hope a new RE dealer in Seattle does a better job actually promoting the brand. 

Ducati Seattle did not have the RE's listed on their webpage, but put references to them on their Facebook page.  They never carried any shirts/hats/etc.   

In the 1.5 years there, the RE was like the red-headed step-sister no one wanted to be with.  They were more an oddity at Ducati Seattle than a viable alternative to the over-hyped Italian things on the showroom.

The showroom:  Ducati North America threw a huge fit when Ducati Seattle dared put the RE's in the showroom.  Soon the RE's were shunted off to the open garage next door sitting in the cold air to collect dust in the dimly lit place.

I think Moto International (Moto Guzzi, Aprilia) would be a better place for the RE's, but owner Dave Richardson (Guzziology) just laughs at me when I suggest it.  Still...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 12:24:53 am
Here in Portland there were two dealerships shooting to sell RE, the Ducati dealer and a scooter shop.  The scooter shop got the bikes and now also carried Ural.  I think if these bikes are sold alongside high end European bikes they become second bikes for riders, curiosities that don't get many miles.  I think pairing them with scooters and especially Urals is better.  These are all bikes for people who make choices off the beaten path, true fans of the bike.  They fit together better than they would next to high end Euro or Asian bikes.

It would have been interesting either way.  The manager of the Ducati dealership is Indian and loves REs, but I'm glad about how it worked out.  I am a customer of both dealerships and like them both but this way they are one of the premier brands at the dealership rather than playing second fiddle. 

Scott

prof_stack

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 04:20:24 am
After a week or so of contacting the GM at Ducati Seattle, I stopped by on the way home today.

You know, it's quite startling how a GM's and owners' attitudes pervades a business.  The previous face of the business, Dave R, now officially OUT and gone, was always glad to see me as were the shop guys and sales guys and parts guys.  Heck, they opened the door when they saw me coming.  The whole crew was friendly and made a person feel wanted.  Not so this new owner's crew.

Today I got a "hello" and then silence from the service manager.  I walked from the service area to the sales floor.  It was very quiet.  There were no sales guys there, but two parts guys, perhaps one swinging to sales as needed.  No warm hello, just a courteous "hi" as he was adjusting Ducati gear on the racks. 

I asked if things were settled down and the smoke cleared.  He said things were always fine.  Heh, he's probably glad he didn't get fired like most of the rest.

The parts manager and service manager still don't know what officially will become of Royal Enfield at their shop.  I was told by one that they will stop being a dealer when the last one is sold.  He said they were being kept in the warehouse.  I asked HOW CAN THEY SELL THEM IF THEY ARE NOT VISIBLE TO THE PUBLIC?  The other guy chimed in to say that they sold the last one last week.  I doubt it.

I sure hope that Kevin has found a new Seattle home for the brand.  Seattle Ducati has likely seen the last of me.