Author Topic: SOS!!  (Read 7432 times)

longstrokeclassic

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 14, 2008, 11:02:49 am
I can't remember far enough back when I replaced my pawl to assist with the problem you have now but can I ask that you check the pawl completely closes down before you reasemble the last few parts.

Some of the earlier pawls failed due to incorrect machining tollerances and when the engine ran were always on the ratchet- you cannot hear it beacuase of all the other noises, but if you were to pull a kickstarter down on a jap multi with its engine running you would here the noise I'm trying to describe.

If this was the cause of your failure you will only suffer premature wear leading to pawl failure again if the problem is not corrected whilst you have the chance.

Ric
Never underestimate the value of improved combustion efficiency and reducing parasitic engine and rolling chassis losses.

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 03:28:24 pm
The kickstart mechanism and pawl appear to work correctly. I did a test fit before I tried to reassemble and the pawl fit into the top gear fine and the ratching action looked good.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175