Author Topic: Enfield Quality?  (Read 6186 times)

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #30 on: January 19, 2012, 02:03:45 pm
Well,getting back to the original issue...QUALITY...Eicher Group has certainly raised build quality considerably,from the days when almost everything was done by hand in Madras,and shoes were optional in the factory.They brought in an international team,and reworked the classic,1930's designed Iron Barrel engine into the AVL,which was a big improvement,but only a stop-gap measure.The REAL improvement was the sleek,modern,unit construction,fuel injected,electronic ignition UCE engine.Watching the factory videos,you can see that much of it is CNC tooled,and the materials,fit and finish,are FAR superior than the old Iron Barrel engine.Will it be around in 60 years,still chugging along like the old Bullet engine?Only time will tell.I will agree that the tinwork on some parts is nowhere NEAR the quality of the Redditch made bikes.My 2000 KS Bullet has lot's of vintage English parts,and the difference is considerable.The plating on some of the Indian made bikes is terribly thin,and prone to rusting and corrosion.I live only a short distance from salt water,and the environment is not kind to cheap chrome and cadmium plating.I guess I just live with my Bullet's perceived "shortcomings",knowing that the design is a snapshot of a by-gone era,like most of us do.It's a 1950's design,built by marginally educated hands,in a third world country,and I love despite,and maybe BECAUSE of it's imperfections.At least it's not a Ural,or a CJ... :P
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #31 on: January 19, 2012, 03:15:11 pm
All makes may have had drips. It was the QA of the time. RE was no worse and the moniker was just someone being funny. And it's stuck.

Whether the newer ones are "better" is academic as I have no intention of ever getting one. I love the iron barrel Indian made machine. If/when I get an additional one it will be the same.

Mine is a 33 years old Indian built machine and doesn't drip. Should I be disappointed?
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 05:03:34 pm
Agreed...I have three running Iron Barrels,enough parts to build a fourth (except for an engine and transmission),and I wouldn't have them if I didn't love them.I must be a glutton for punishment,I just bought a 1959 Chief (basically a Constellation in warpaint),and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground up... :P
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Lwt Big Cheese

• Grand Gearhead
  • Getting there, slowly...
Reply #33 on: January 19, 2012, 05:35:09 pm
It's very satisfying to get them running well. Anyone can run a Japper...   ::)

I'm taking no credit. It was set up well when I got her.
No warranty implied or given.
Packed in a protective atmosphere.
May contain nuts.