Author Topic: Enfield Quality?  (Read 6170 times)

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
on: January 13, 2012, 03:04:19 am
Hear all the time about lack of quality in the earlier imported Indian Enfields. Metallurgy and such. Is this true? When, if ever, did the quality improve? Are there any particular areas one should watch? Are the Redittch bikes that much better? Joe
REA member #161 was riding a 2004 Sixty-5. Now riding a 2022 Interceptor

Rosetap

• Bulleteer
  • Credit Card? You got it.
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 04:21:02 am
My 2009 AVL Military (classic frame) has terrible metallurgy, and everything else.  Rusts everywhere, even with a cover and appropriate precautions.  Things bend just from use (kickstart lever, fender stays [I haven't even hit anything and they bend cattywhompus on a whim], etc).  The paint has baked white (again, even though I use a cover 99% of the time), all the chrome is chipping off (ALL OF IT, on EVERY bolt, even ones I haven't touched), the vinyl seat is falling apart (after 4,000 miles of use, WITH a cover), and I've had to open both switch assemblies on the handlebars, scrub all contacts clean, and refill with electric grease.  The edges of the tank aren't welded properly and have split in one spot, one of the rear tank tabs snapped off and had to be welded back on, and I have rust bubbles coming from parts that aren't even scratched.  Also, my front VIN plate rivets have rusted off and I had to re-rivet them.  The exhaust pipe (painted black from the factory) has had all the paint just turn to dust, and the entire pipe is rusty.

I have never taken this bike on a salted (or otherwise winter-treated - it doesn't really snow here, just gets cold sometimes) road.  I have never washed the bike and let it sit in the water.  I have never let the bike sit in the rain and be allowed to rust; I always wipe it down afterwards, and give appropriate areas WD-40 or Ankor Wax treatment.

Also, the wiring harness caught fire and I had to re-wire the entire bike.

I still ride it because it is my only mode of transport, but if the new UCE models have some sort of better chroming and metallurgy, I'd like to see it.  I paid the same for my AVL as what the new UCE bikes are going for, it would have been nice to get the same type of treatment.

Don't take this post as an Enfield-bash or troll.  I'm just telling it like it is, no anger.  Just disappointment. 

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 10:26:31 am
My 07 is much better quality wise then my 95 in pretty much every area.   From quality of metal and paint to sealed bearing vs bushes and grease fittings.  Neither one even comes close to my HD in quality but you can see the constant improvement in the brand.   
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

Jr.

• Scooter
  • 06 Military Iron 5speed
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 12:15:03 pm
My 06 Iron barrel has been very good in the quality dept.
I have about 6600 miles on it with no problems.
Its a military model ,so not much chrome ,but the
chrome that is on it is in good condition.I have had a couple
of flat tires and I broke the pushrod adjuster when I over tightened
the lock nut. A couple small oil leaks and thats it.
 As I have stated before I have had several motorcycles
including BMW,Harleys,Goldwings ,Yamahas and Suzuki.
They may have had better metallurgy but no where near as much fun
to own and ride.A little TLC goes a long way on the Enfield.
I have had my 57 Chevy  over 20 years because its a classic
vehicle that always draws attention,I plan on plan on keeping
the Bullet for the same same reasons plus its a blast to ride.
The 5speed tranny has been smooth as glass.I plan to Fireball
it in the future,
Jr.
Get On Your Bikes and Ride

jdrouin

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:02:08 pm
My 07 iron barrel is decent in the metallurgy/general quality department, though not without its problems. Some of the nuts and screws are rusted or corroded white on top. In particular the nut around the ignition key hole is totally brown now. The rear light bracket (OEM) has been a sore spot. I'm on my second one after the first one cracked and rusted through at the turn signal mounts. The second one (also OEM), off of Garbone's 95, is holding up just fine so far. I haven't had any problems with paint or chrome failing.

Sure, it doesn't have the fit and finish of a major brand name contemporary bike, but I wanted something that felt like it was built by humans, and that's what it is.

Jeff

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 02:06:44 pm
I wonder when they stopped hand forming the tanks?

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 02:28:17 pm
My 04 Sixty-5 is pretty nice for finish and I haven't noticed any cracking from vibration at 16K. Haven't lost many pieces ::). One head bolt snapped during a torque sequence to spec & the rear sprocket failed at 10K (probably my fault). Front tire shot at 3K, rear lasted to 9K. no electrical, starter, brake, tranny, or other problems. I've changed a lot about the bike that, by this forum, have been problematic before the problems occured. The frame withstood one helluva wreck in Dec./09 without any warping. Over all I am REal satisfied but then again I suspected what I was getting into when I bought a 60 year old design no matter where it was built. Just curious about this metallurgy thing if I am going to rebuild it down the road.......Ace?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 02:35:37 pm by Rick O'Shea »

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 13, 2012, 03:26:47 pm
Just to chip in my 2 cents worth. I think we can all agree the metallurgy/fastener quality/wiring etc is all below current standards. I have been fortunate to not have a lot of the issues that others have suffered from......touch wood. My bike is not a daily driver and rarely See's rain but it had spent several week's out in the elements when the PO was selling it. Mine is an 03' ES which i bought with 200 mi on it in 08' so it will never be a cream puff but is kept presentable with minimal trouble. Loctite and an eagle eye catches most problems. A couple of years ago i just parked up at the Battle of the Brits show in Michigan when the usual crowd of admirers gathered (you know what i mean!). I was going through the "yes it is an 03' etc etc, i noticed that  horn bracket had fractured and the horn was dangling forlornly by the wiring. I casually disconnected it and threw it in the saddle bag without missing a beat. I walked away with knowing glances from the crowd of Triumph and Beezer owners.
As my bike ages with me i will continually update parts as necessary enough to keep it part of the family. When the inevitable rebuild time rolls around i might be too old to keep riding!
Keep em' going, cheers to all, Robert & REnfield.

The Garbone

• Shade Tree
  • Grand Gearhead
  • User Complaints: 22
Reply #8 on: January 13, 2012, 05:47:37 pm
noticed that  horn bracket had fractured and the horn was dangling forlornly by the wiring. I casually disconnected it and threw it in the saddle bag without missing a beat.
Thats pretty much what happened to me with my front turn signal.  I just reasoned it was time to learn hand signals and went about my day..    :D
Gary
57' RE Crusader 250
67' Ford Mustang
74' Catalina 27 "Knot a Clew"
95 RE Ace Clubman 535
01 HD 1200 Custom
07 RE 5spd HaCK

* all actions described in this post are fictional *

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 13, 2012, 07:41:20 pm
I had an aftermarket turn signal break off and dangle by the wire. Couldn't blame Enfield for that one!
As far as corrosion prevention goes, WD-40 ain't gonna cut it. You guys need to get a real anticorrosion product like ACF-50.  WD40 will completely disappear in a couple of months at the most. From my experience with WD40, it's a fair cleaning fluid, but that's about it.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

C.C.

• Scooter
  • 1960 Bullet
Reply #10 on: January 13, 2012, 11:55:31 pm
I have an 06 sixty 5 with 15000 miles on it. No issues to speak of for a bike designed in the 50's. It is built like a bike was built in the 50's (a lot by hand) so you should expect that type of quality. Mine looks like new even with the miles I have on it and runs great. It leaks a little oil as one should expect for this design, so did BSA's and Triumph's from this time period. I would not want it any other way. The bike has character and is built with the quality you should expect from this technology. If you leave it outside it will corrode and rust so keep it in the garage. The aluminum is a little soft so be careful. I love mine.

CC
2006 Bullet Sixty 5
Member: Royal Enfield Association #11

Rick O'Shea

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: January 14, 2012, 01:30:11 pm
C.C., I agree with you 100 percent

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 03:52:34 pm
my  06 iron is  in a unheated garage...i polish the chrome with metal polish from our sponsor and wax the entire bike once a year with whatever I'm using that year. ...bike looks great with little or no rust....I gotten a little lazy with the hyosung and the handlebars are starting to show little rusty like blemishes..Better get on that....The OEM pipes that I took off and let lay under a workbench for three years look like shit from the damp floor...I took put them up but not sure if I want or care to clean up....I've gotten cuaght in the rain once or twice but that's the extent of bad weather for GreenMachine...
Oh Magoo you done it again

Roundsworth

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 10:53:37 pm
To me, design and quality are two totally different things. I was drawn to my '06 Bullet due to the archaic design. As for the quality, it left much to be desired. For example: I think a better fit of the head and cylinder, along with a 'modern' head gasket, would not have been out of line. It certainly could have been improved without compromising the 'vintage appearance' and originality. Just because the design is outdated, does not mean that better gaskets and rubber parts could not have been installed at the factory. I spent many hours installing proper hardware and checking clearances after I took possession of my bike. Another example: the aft muffler bracket was doing its best to saw the right swingarm in two. I made a spacer and replaced the bolt and corrected the situation. Are the citizens of India satisfied with what they are spending their hard-earned rupees on? Don't get me wrong, I do not regret purchasing my Enfield. I think much could have been taken care of as the bike was moving down the assembly line. The bike could have maintained its 'retro' look with some attention to detail. As for oil leakage, I could not be more pleased. My Bullet does not spew all over my garage floor. In time it may, but I won't mind correcting the problem when it arises.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:57:19 am by Roundsworth »

boxbiker

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: January 15, 2012, 12:18:28 am
Let me just add my 2 cents worth to this. Presently I have 22 bikes, everything from a Brough Superior to a new Triumph Thruxton. I can put up with a lot of shortcomings on bikes but how in the world can Enfield ever expect to grow their market in the US, or the rest of the world for that matter,  if they don't put some effort into quality control and design improvement.

I had a 96 500 and got rid of it because the trans was crap. I picked up a 2002 e-start one with less than 500 miles on it and the trans is still crap. It had the left foot shift on it and was impossible to ride. I installed a right foot conversion and nothing has changed (see my post on difficult shifting on four speed trans). The only explanation is poor design.

Also, what do they make the rubber parts out of? Every rubber part on both bikes turned to mush after just a couple of years. The chrome on most parts is just a thin coat that disappears as soon as it is exposed to air.

The only market for such junk is people like us that  will put up with this. There is a big market out ther for a GOOD vintage styled bike.